Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just brought home a new Chi....I've never had one before and my mom got my daughter one for her tenth birthday... I'm in a situation because I know that it didn't come from the best place and I think he is only 6 weeks old. My cousin got him last night on her own and told us after the fact.:mad:

I don't know what to feed him and how often? My mom is taking him to the vet this week...hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday. He wouldn't touch the dry food, so we got him some puppy wet. I think he ate too much of that and got carsick on the way home.

He's super sweet, but I just worry about him being so young. I don't want him to get sick.

Any other tips or help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!
Bevy

·
Registered
97 Posts
hi as long as hes eating hes fine i got mine at 7weeks and hes now 12 weeks old dont panic just because hes small hes still a dog lol i gave mine 4 small meals threw out the day ad puppy milk once a day and always left a bowl of fresh water down for him he will be fine xxxxx

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
He will need to be fed during the night about 2 to 3 am for the first few days. Take some puppy kibble and soak it until it's mushy and add it to the canned. He should start to eat the kibble at about 7 1/2 weeks to 8 weeks.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I personally cannot give much advice because I do not have experience with young puppies, but there are people on here that have raised puppies and will know better. That is very young, the pup may need milk replacement formula. Most major pet supply stores have it. And definitely buy Nutrical- it is a supplement that will prevent his blood sugar from getting too low. Small Chis can have sudden blood sugar drops especially when they are young. Did you know you were getting a dog? Are you prepared (crate/x-pen, food, harness, potty pads, etc)? If not, you need to get all those basic supplies ASAP. Good luck and I really hope someone can help you more than me.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Welcome and congratulations! You about to embark on an experience of a lifetime!! A good one!! And a rewarding one! It just takes time and patience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This Chi was a big surprise! My mom had the ok, but we thought it would be a week or two before we found one- so cousin surprised us bigtime! There wasn't a pet store open last night- we live in a small town. My mom gave us her extra crate and puppy pads. The crate is a medium size so a little big. Gonna post pics when I can figure it out..he is so cute!

Thanks so much!
Bevy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts