Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, just wanted to say hello, just joined the site and so far i like it. I have a 1 yr old toy chi who we think may be preggers at the moment. Its a long story, never wanted her preggers and actually had a spay appt. ready, then had a death in the family so i had my best friend doggy sit and she has a male chi, well low and behold she comes into heat and you can figure out the rest....lol...anyone with any pregnancy advice, i need it!!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
2lbs is way to small to be having puppies if she were mine i would have her desexed straight away , might not sound nice but a dog her size having puppies is not good .
do you know how much the male weighed ? i really hope all goes well for her if she does end up being pregnant , if she is and you do decide to let her have them be prepared that she will most likely need a c section .
please keep us updated :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The male also weighs 2lbs. Hes the same age and everything, (theyre not siblings) i called my vet and he said to bring her in to verify pregnancy and that we can go from there....i just dont like the thought of "abortion"..lol even tho i know thats the last thing the world needs now is another dog...idk what to do, im stuck between a rock and a hard place...

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Welcome to the board.

I have to say that I have to agree, your girl is way to small to be having a puppies and it could kill her so you need to weigh the options. If it were me, I would be more worried about my dog. Have her desexed right away and nip this in the bud. Not trying to be mean but this really is pretty serious and not a laughing matter.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I totally agree, do it straight away, you say you dont like abortion but you could well possibly lose your much loved pet as well as the pups, good luck , & use your head not your heart on this one.

Alexine

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Welcome to Chi ppl, I agree your chi is very very small, lets us know what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok well my vet who by the way is very good and has had many yrs of experience with these things said it would be ok for her to have them, its only one by the way, and dont get me wrong i love my little girl with all my heart but im not gonna get rid of the puppy. I am goin to be responsible with this, the vet is gonna take her in about a week before and if anything arises hes gonna do the surgery. At first i didnt want this but he said he would even take her home with him so that shes not by herself at night if anything was to happen. Im not trying to be rude in the least bit but i trust my vet, and i thought maybe i would get some support on here...either way i look at this if she does have them i could lose her and if i get the pup removed i could lose her, things happen everyday and either way something could pop up. Im very sorry if i came over as rude or whatever but this is what i feel is right, and i am using my head and not my heart. This is just whats right for me, it could be diff. for all of you, but thats just what i want and feel is right. Thanks for all your opinions tho, ive thought about all the other options and weighed everyone of them and this is what ive decided.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
You will get support here and noone was trying to be mean but you seemed to be laughing it off as if it wasnt as serious as it is. We truly were just worried about your Chi. No disrespect to your vet but the members here have more experience with Chi's than most vets do. When all is said and done she is your chi and you have final say over it and have to do what you feel is right. We will support you in your decision and pray that the wee girl will be okay through this. It isnt impossible for her to have the pup and be fine but it is dangerous for her. Hope you will stick around for more advice and information.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hope for your girls sake everything turns out alright. We did a c-section on a Barely 3# chi about a month ago, the mom and 2 of the puppies died after the c-section, so the owner had to bottle raise 2 more puppies. She said she has never been so tired in her life. Just know that by letting her have the puppy you are risking her life, and where it's a singleton puppy it's gonna be a big one so be prepared for a c-section (cost wise & emotion wise). The smallest 'most' show/responsible breeders I know will breed is 4#.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I hope for your girls sake everything turns out alright. We did a c-section on a Barely 3# chi about a month ago, the mom and 2 of the puppies died after the c-section, so the owner had to bottle raise 2 more puppies. She said she has never been so tired in her life. Just know that by letting her have the puppy you are risking her life, and where it's a singleton puppy it's gonna be a big one so be prepared for a c-section (cost wise & emotion wise). The smallest 'most' show/responsible breeders I know will breed is 4#.
This coming from the daughter of a Vet ;-)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Aww... What a Cutie and
WELCOME!!!!

Blessings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts