Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How lovely, a place I can ramble on about my babies to my heart's content!
Willie is my male, he is an almost 5 pound chi. Black and White. I got him when I had to move into a small apartment and couldn't imagine not having a dog. I never pictured myself owning a chi, but Willie captured my heart. I started reading about chis, and when I found his breeder online I called her up and we spoke for hours. I was impressed by her honesty and love for her dogs. Willie'd dad was just a bitty-tiny boy with a wonderful perigree full of champions. And his mom, was a beauty, well put together with a great temperment. My biggest concern was that the breeder lived half way across the country and I didn't like idea of having him shipped and not being able to meet his parents in person. So I walked around sulking for a week and staring at his pictures for days on end. When I couldn't stand it anymore I decided to buy him after all. Willie was born in November and it was March. After what seemed like forever, there was finally a day warm enough to ship him home to me!!!
I expected a shivery, nervous and soiled puppy to greet me at the airport. Boy do I laugh when I look back upon that wonderful, joyous day! This lil man was clean as a whistle and the way he trotted out of his shipping crate!
He owned the world...This pup had no fear and was the most social pup I had seen in a long time. I will never regret choosing him. He is going to be 3 this year, and what a personality. Everyone he meets is a potential "best friend." Now I have to dig up some baby pictures of him.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well trying to resize the pictures was a disaster. I have no gumption and gave up.
Instead I would like to share a picture of mom with her babies, as this diary is their's.
That black and white boy, was just being born. He was #3 in birth order. The next picture I took yesterday. That black and white boy is the smallest of the litter but he is already making certain he gets his share of mom's milk!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought my kitchen scale today, so I can chart the babies daily weights. When we went to the vet's, the scale said that all the pups weighed .4, which I found hard to believe, as 2 of the babies look bigger, two smaller and one is right in the middle.
I am not sure how accurate my scale is, especially since I sent hubby to buy one (and he bought a cheapie!) sooo I ended up with a $30 scale.
I suppose it's better than none, and I will be able to know for sure if my lil ones are gaining. So here are their weights for today:

FAWN MALE----- 6-3/8

BLACK MALE----- 6-3/8

BLK/WH MALE----5-1/8

FAWN FEMALE----5-1/4

BRINDLE MALE---5-5/8

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
12 Hours since the last weigh-in, I planned on waiting 24, but I am just so impatient. I really hope that the standard guideline Chi Weight Chart is as general as everyone says, because at the rate these guys are growing I will have 20 pound babies!!!! LOL
I also took pictures while they were on the scale, and as I took their pictures, Mully left two gigantic poops on my kitchen floor (I didn't put them on the scale, but they were HUGE!) :shock: Guess I was taking too long with her babies.
I am going to do individual posts for each baby and weight. Here is Male #1

Yesterday 6-3/8---->Today-------> 6-3/4

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that I have everyone's individual photos and weights up, LOL, they of course haven't reached any milestones yet, but the darker colored babies are starting to get black pigmentation on their lil noses. You do know I had to KISS them all right on their teeny noses. I am so glad Mully tolerates me so well. I hold her babies several times a day, ahhhhhhhh here she is to say hello to me....She said to say hi to you all :wave: FROM MULLY!

I just adore this dog. Come to think of it, I never shared her story. Shame on me! Well when I got her it was around Christmastime of 2003. I already had my male and after talking several time with my male's breeder and sharing photos, she told me Willie should make a nice stud dog, with his structure, disposition and the history of his relatives. So I began my search for a wife for Willie.
In December of 2003 I was calling local breeders in my area and found one who sounded promising. She told me that the female pup she had was "different" structurewise. :shock: I didn't know what she meant until I got there and saw her. Mully is a deerhead. WHEW! I was not knowing what to expect LOL When I got there, the breeder's house was VERY clean, despite the fact that she had several Bullmastiffs and Dogue De Bordeaux' in her home. The chihuahuas had their own room, to keep the larger dogs from accidentally harming them. She had only started breeding the big dogs a couple of years before, but up until then, the chis had had free roam of her house. So I met the parents of Mully and they were weary of me but were in great condition and didn't try to bite me (a big plus in my book ;) )
I scooped up little Mully and held her for a long time while we sat and chatted about chihuahuas. mully was noticably frightened but I knew I could help her overcome it with patience and lots of love and snuggles. So I bought her and brought her home.
When we got home I set her down and she ran and hid in between the fridge and the wall. Well I reached right in to get her........and she bit me! And I don't mean a lil nip, she drew blood :shock: I then spent the next several days convincing my husband that she was NOT evil and we were NOT bringing her back. It was my carelessness combined with her lack of socialization (in her short 12 weeks!) that got me a boo-boo!
I swear Mully knew what my husband was saying, she is going to be 2 years old on Sept.11th and she STILL growls at my hubby. She doesn't try to bite him, she just does not like him. I suspect that the breeder's husband may not have been involved in ANY of her upbringing, therefore she doesn't care for men. Now kids, that's a different story! She adores my children, even my youngest who is loud and obnoxious ;) I will get a piture on here of her jumping all over them, while she is on a break from her own babies.

Well, that's my girl for ya. Oh another thing I find adorable about her, when I go to her whelping box to visit her and the babes, she rolls on to her back (even while the babes are nursing) for me to pat her. Wish you all could hear the sound of the babies "Popping" off of her when she rolls over for a tummy rub from me. It's sooooo funny.

I LOVE BEING A GRANDMOTHER!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:shock: I think I have cow-huahuas. I weighed them again this morning and nearly fell over.

FAWN MALE-------YESTERDAY------>6-3/4-------->7-3/4

BLACK MALE------YESTERDAY------>6-3/4-------->7-3/4

FAWN FEMALE----YESTERDAY------->5-1/4-------->6-3/8

BLK/WH MALE----YESTERDAY------->5-5/8-------->6-3/8

BRINDLE MALE---YESTERDAY------->5-7/8--------->6-5/8

How about that! They are so big. At 6 weeks they will be going to the vet's for their full examinations and health certificates (don't want to think much about that-too close to their forever-home time :? ) Anyway, I hope I will be able to carry the crate :shock: Big ole babies!
But you know what? If they are a bit bigger I am 100% happy with that as long as they are healthy like mom and dad :D I will actually be very surprised if any of them go over 6 pounds, besides the scale is more of a tool for making sure they gain, Okay I'm repeating myself...Better scram :D
Love Stacy

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So here I am just driving myself mad trying to find the right people for my babies. Trying to write a guarantee isn't too easy either :(
I want the best homes possible for them, and I want them to at least occasionally give me updates on the babies.
I was told by a very outspoken friend of mine that I was planning on asking too much for them, and it wasn't fair to the people who would be great moms and dads that didn't have a bunch of money. I totally agree there, I would rather have great homes. But I also want the new home to have the funds in case of an emergency situation :?
So I am trying to come up with a fair price, that's no fun either.

I know many of you are thinking I should not have bred without a waiting list first, but let me explain why...I am new at chihuahua breeding, and don't have a ton of people to help guide me in the right direction. The people I did talk to, encouraged me to breed when my female came into her last season, so I did.
Between vet bills and whelping supplies, I have already spent quite a bit (which I expected, I'm lucky Mully didn't need a c-section!) There will be a lot more vet bills when the pups are older (health certificates, shots,wormings), which I am also prepared for.
And then all the little goodies for each individual puppy when he goes home i.e. toys, treats, food, collar, leash etc. Plus the cost of registering the litter. (My registry is relatively inexpensive but I really like them.)
I know these items add up, so I expect to spend quite a bit more before they are ready to go to their forever-homes.

Well I have learned a lot in the last few weeks, that's for certain, and I continue to learn something new every day. Guess I'm done grouching for now.
Love Stacy

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Today our registration papers and pedigrees came today. I couldn't believe how excited I was-lol. The fawn babies are starting to get some pigmentation on their little pink noses (more kisses were in order!)
Here are baby weights for today:

FAWN MALE-----------7-7/8 :shock:

BLACK MALE----------8-3/8 :shock:

FAWN FEMALE---------7-0/0

BLK/WH MALE---------6-3/4

BRINDLE MALE--------7-1/8

They all are little darlings. For the past few days I have been constantly changing their bedding and wiping down the little whelping box. Today I have to wash down the whole thing. Mom does her best to keep up with cleaning them, but the bedding still gets pretty nasty. I won't have my angels sleeping in filth, so glad I recently got a washer/dryer set :wink:

Post another pic after I change their bedding

Love Stacy

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I hadn't given much thought to where I was going to put the babies where they would be safe while I washed out their box... :?

Normally I just set them on a clean towel while I wipe it down and put a fresh blanket in their for them. This time I knew it was going to take a bit longer and I needed a place where they couldn't crawl away, but where I could have a constant eye on them. This is what I came up with....

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well babies are as pretty as ever today. Their weights are starting to fit into the chart better WHEW! lol...was getting a bit concerned there ;)
I've started interviewing families for their forever homes :shock: I have promised each and every baby to do my best in making sure they will be loved to bits and well looked after. More accurately, I want them spoiled rotten, and I will be giving perspective owners the link to this site to learn more.
So that fawn male is a back-sleeper lol. He's so sweet. He's been snoozing on his back off and on since yesterday. And he just seems as content as can be. Everyone else looks happy too.
I'm finding myself looking at collar and leash sets for them already :roll: Trying to decide which colors will look best on which baby, and I know that by the time they are ready for them that their colors will have changed (the fawns and brindle anyway) Well I suppose I should try to get my house in order. I so hate cleaning.

Here are baby weights for today:

FAWN MALE-----------8-1/2

BLACK MALE----------9-1/4

FAWN FEMALE---------7-3/8

BLK/WH MALE---------7-5/8

BRINDLE MALE--------7-3/4

Love Stacy

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your really interesting diary and beautiful pics of the gorgeous puppies. You take such wonderfully immaculate loving care of them! Whoever becomes a new parent of any of them will be very fortunate indeed. It's so great to be able to follow their progress, you are obviously a very caring person. This is going to be one of my favourite threads. :angel8: :love4:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's so sweet of you to say!!!! It really means a whole bunch to me, since I didn't give as much thought as I should have before I made the breeding I am going to make up for it by doing what is right by the little ones now. Mully doesn't fit into the AKC standard being a deerhead, therefore this will be her first and only litter. Once the babies are weaned she will be getting spayed. Though she is a lovely dog, and I'm sure her babies will be wonderful companions...If I ever decide to breed again it will only be with a female who is more conformationally correct, as well as being healthy and charming. I have learned a lot, that's for sure.
Thank you again for your nice words.

Love Stacy

1 - 20 of 148 Posts