Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am about to add a new addition to our family! He is an 11 week old SC Chihuahua named Butters. I get to pick him up in 2 weeks and I'm so excited. A friend of ours had an accidental litter of 3 and Butters was the last one in need of a home, so he offered him to us as a gift!!

Question: How long does it usually take for dogs to bond? There's never been another dog in our house, so not sure how Kobi will react although we plan on introducing him to Butters in neutral territory before we bring Butters home. Any other suggestions on what I can do to ease the transition??

Here's a few pictures:

Introducing Butters

And a recent pic of Kobi:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
He is so darn cute!!! Look at the cute pose on all the pics....
As far as bonding and getting along.. Dazy is 1 yr. 3 mths. and our little Lulu we have had for 3 days and she is 6 mths. and they just love eachother....they run and play and chase eachother and it is so cute. Even though I have had in her her playpen I let her out 3 or 4 times a day to have fun with Dazy. So no problems at all.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
He's really cute :) As to your questions.... I think it depends on the dogs as to how long it takes to bond. Some are friendlier than others. One of the things that I've heard you should do when introducing a new dog is to get something that smells like the new dog (a blanket or something) and bring it around for the other dog to smell so that they get used to the scent. good luck :)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
You have two adorable chis. I like the name Butters. Sweet and different. The most important part of Kobi meeting Butters is that you need to calm. If you are anxious, Kobi will pick up on that and probably blame Butters. If there is anyway to have them meet without your presence, it might be good. Or have someone else Kobi knows and trusts introduce them. Good luck and we're looking forward to more pictures of them cuddling.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone!!

I sure hope they get along. Kobi has never shown aggression to any another dogs, but then there's never been another dog on his turf. But I think in time they'll adapt to each other, especially since Butters will be in his X-pen when not supervised, until he's potty trained.

Kobi is almost 10 months old and is a whopping 10lbs!! The breeder still insists that he is pure Chi, but I don't believe him.

·
Registered
79 Posts
awwww how lucky r u! butters is adorable Kobi looks good too bonding takes different amounts of time for different dogs, Bella bonded with me after the drive home Holly took a couple of days Amber & Cara Mia quite quickly a few hours good luck and congrats :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts