Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of switching from litter to newspaper. I do not want her to get used to using the litter box only, because in time i want her to go potty outside, and outside only.. so im thinkin until she gets older, should i replace the litter box in her exercise pen with news paper? The advantages i see to this is, i can put the news paper in the kitchen, or somewhere if shes in a differnt room for a time being. the liter box isnt moveable that way.... do u guys get what im saying? so should i start putting newspaper down where her litter box is and then maybe it'd be easier to move bit by bit to the back door or something later on, or just take it away all together.. do u guys recommend news paper? or just to stick with the litter box?

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
trust me stick with the litter box if she is learning it well - paper is messy and smells

why cant you take the litter box up with you I would of thought it was as moveable as paper :wave:

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stairs, I was thinking it wouldnt be too easy to move it bit-by-bit if theres stairs invloved.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
lol I thought you meant just when you go upstairs and take her with you - I think with the stairs issue - I dont think it is safe to gradually move the paper step by step - what I would do when she is safely able to climb the stairs is start with the litter box at the bottom for a few days or a week and then put it up the top of the stairs and carry her up to it every hour or so until she realises that she know has to go upstairs to the the potty

hope this helps wendy - or am I totally off track :lol:

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Do you mean you are planning on her going potty outside when it's warmer out?
By then she will be older and have a more set schedule when she has to go potty.
I wouldn't switch to paper if she is using the litter box now.
When you are ready to start taking her outside, put some of her poop outside and take her out when you know she need to go potty, make sure she sees the poop you have put out there and she should get the idea, don't expect her to catch on right away. Takes time just like everything else.
Don't bother moving anything, shouldn't be necessary.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
omg... LOL, sorry, I just woke up I meant LITTER BOX .. yikes, i knocked my head on the thing that was sticking out of the celing, it HURT and its sharp, i did it while half awake taking sera to go potty, must have gotten to me! :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts