Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. My name's Caitlin and I've been lurking these forums for a little while now gathering information about Chihuahuas for my future Chi puppy. She will be arriving home Tuesday! Her name will be Parsley. :)

I've had a Chihuahua since I was 12, so I'm not completed clueless about the breed. However, I was too young to understand or notice what kind of effort the puppy stage required when we got her, so I'm here now trying to find out what will be best for my new puppy. My old Chihuahua lives back home in the U.S. with my dad. I left her with him when I moved out of the country to live with my boyfriend, thinking it would be best to leave her in the house she has lived in and with the family she's grown up with, even though she was "my" dog. I miss her so much so I'm hoping a new puppy will fill the void in my heart that has been there since I had to leave her.

I will be potty-training our new puppy, Parsley, to use puppy pads since I live in Sweden and the weather can be brutal in the winter. We also live in a second-floor apartment with no private yard, so I feel being potty-trained indoors is best for our situation. My Chihuahua from home was also potty-trained to use puppy pads and we never had any issues with it.

I have a question regarding how the nighttime situation should be. During the day when I am not able to watch her 100%, she will be in a playpen setup with her crate, toys, water, and puppy pads at the opposite end. I'm hoping she somewhat trains herself to use the puppy pads as opposed to going in her crate. I will be using the scented puppy pads along with some of the liquid training scent drops. At night, the set up will be similar (just her crate and a pad in the pen), located in the bedroom instead of the living room. I am wondering though if instead of putting her in a pen, if I should close her crate door and wake up one or two times during the night to let her out and place her on a pad? Or would leaving her crate open with pads located in the pen work? Ideally I would like for her to be able to get up out of her bed and go potty on her own, but I don't know if that will work in the beginning. If anyone has experience with this type of training situation, I would love to hear.

I'll post pics of her and her setup and when we get her on Tuesday. :)

Thanks!
-Caitlin

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new pup!

I use exactly the setup you describe except I use a bed instead of the crate. I would not close the crate door. I think it does help train them that way but be aware a really young puppy may still use the crate a time or two before they catch on, especially when you first bring them home. Taz did but she caught on very quickly and now uses the corner furtherest from the bed. I leave the door to the pen open when they are out, at first keeping them in the room where the pen is and slowly giving full run of the house as they become more reliable.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and thank you for the reply! It's reassuring to hear that someone else is successfully using the same setup I have in mind for Parsley. I didn't ever intend on closing the crate door unless people here suggested I use the closed crate method for nighttime with waking up in the middle of the night to let her out. I know that's how some people do it when they potty-train their pups to go outdoors only. But I would honestly prefer letting her have access to her puppy pads throughout the night instead. I know young Chis have very small bladders so she may even have to go more than I can wake up in the middle of the night. :p

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I agree with you that it depends on the breed of dog. We have a shepherd pup that we are house training using the crate method and it is working great but I think the ex pen set up is better for chis. I bet you are so excited to get your pup! I would be! Have you decided on what to feed Parsley?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The breeder has been feeding her Royal Canin, though I notice there is corn in it which I'm not a fan of. The rest of the ingredients don't look bad, though. She'll come with a bag of that for now. I fed my adult Chihuahua in the U.S. Wellness brand dog food. I don't know what is available to me in Sweden. Guess we will find out today at the pet supplies shop. The grocery stores here had nothing but junk. I'm not sure what the pet supplies shop carries aside from Royal Canin, and that awful Science Diet! I used to work at a vet clinic and they tried to get me to feed my Chihuahua that crap.

I've seen a lot of people talking about "raw" diets here. I'm not even all too sure what that is, and if it's appropriate for a puppy. I just want to make sure she's getting all the nutrients she needs.

I would love to hear any suggestions. :)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I don't feed foods with corn either. I am not sure what is available to you there either but there are many ways to feed your puppy well depending on what is available, budget and convenience. I feed Ziwipeak which i jokingly call raw lite. There are some premade raw foods although from the ones here who feed raw I think it's cheaper to just do it yourself. Raw is definitely appropriate for a puppy if you want to go that route. There is lots of good reading in the forum on food including a sticky on raw and links to some dog food review websites if you prefer a traditional dog food. You can still provide raw meaty bones a couple of times a week for dental health.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am taking a look at the Raw Food sticky and I must say it sounds wonderful, just possibly a bit pricey for my budget. Fresh meats over here in Sweden are so much more expensive than back in the States. All of the frozen chicken, which is cheaper, is pumped with that icky sodium solution. :( I'm going to take a look at my grocery store this afternoon and see what kind of meats they have to offer that would fit my budget. If I can't afford an entirely raw diet, I will at least go with your suggestion of giving her raw meaty bones to chew on a few times a week. I love the whole mental and physical stimulation concept of the raw diet.

I was actually looking at Ziwipeak earlier. I found a few Swedish websites that do stock it. It looks great and a lot of people here seem to like it. I'm just wondering if the nutritional analysis is appropriate for a 9-week-old puppy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congratulations on your new baby! I'm sure you are extremely excited! I completely know how you feel about the whole potty training situation, and completely understand how overwhelming and confusing it can be. Approximately two months ago, I adopted a 12 week old chi that I'm currently in the process of housebreaking (which is what drew me to your thread). He's a little a boy and was having the hardest time catching on to going on the puppy pads. I tried everything but still live at home with my parents and they prefer that I teach him to go potty outside. So far it has been working out great. I am using the closed crate method at night and when I'm not home, along with a strict schedule. However I would love to know which brand of puppy pads and training spray you use and would recommend. I would have loved to train him to go inside on the puppy pads and not have to take him outside. I don’t particularly like having to crate him while I’m not home and if I could use a combination of puppy pad training and outside training that would be amazing. I live in South Texas and it is the middle of flea season. He also has a very bad flea allergy which we constantly have to treat. I would love to not have to put him through the pain and discomfort if we can find a better method.
I would also like to recommend to you Wellness puppy food. He loves it and I have noticed a major difference in him. I'll be continuing to feed it to him until he's old enough for adult food. Good luck with your new baby!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the only decent kibble option at the pet supplies shop was Taste of the Wild. I have read some good reviews about it here so I am thinking of giving it a go with her. I really like that it's grain free and it's not very expensive at all. Only thing is that there was no puppy formula, but the regular formulas say they are for dogs and puppies of all ages.

As far as raw bones go, are chicken bones safe? Seems to be the cheapest, easiest to find option here. Would giving her a bone-in chicken leg or thigh once or twice a week be okay?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Ziwipeak is for all life stages so yes, fine for a pup. Taste of the Wild I believe is introducing a puppy food but I think not much different from the all stages diet. If you do decide to go with kibble, there are many on here who have research which says it is better to moisten with water as plain dry food can be difficult on their kidneys. You could also feed dry kibble and mix with canned or top with Ziwipeak. Chicken is fine for the raw meaty bones. I give my tiny chi the tip of a wing and the larger one the middle section of the wing. I cut the extra meat off the drum stick and split between them. I do that to replace a meal 2-3 times weekly. Tracy aka Brody's mom can give you more great suggestions for raw meaty bones. I am a newbie at that and not very adventuresome. Sounds like you have done all your homework - now just waiting for the fun part - getting the puppy!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Taste of the Wild is great! The only 6 star grain free food I can get in my town. And as of November of last year, TOTW didn't even have a puppy formula... their regular formula was 'all life stages' but customers wanted a separate puppy one, which is why they have it now. But, the original formula is still fine for puppies.

And giving a raw bone a few times a week is great! It'll give her the dental benefits of raw diet; the crunching of bones will help polish her teeth. But always raw; never cooked. Cooked bones splinter.

The potty setup sounds fine. It's what we do for all fosters that come in. We don't close off the bed area at all though, they have access to the pad at night if need be but honestly they rarely use it as we let them out in the yard before and after bed.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn't see your post, ChiLover. Thank you! Since I haven't gotten my puppy yet, I will let you know how this week goes with the brand of pads I'll be using. They are called Pet Stuff Puppy House Training Pads. I had to order them from a UK site since the only locally available puppy pads here were SUPER expensive and not even scented. The liquid scent I'll be using is called Train-Um Dog-Training Aid, which I also ordered from the UK site. I'll be sure to let you know how both products work out for us. :)

I know how you feel about having the pressure of others wanting you to train your puppy to go outside, but it's important you do what is best for you and your puppy. My boyfriend's family is somewhat appalled by the idea of letting a dog go potty inside the house because I guess it's just not a popular method here in Sweden. I am from Massachusetts in the U.S. and I could never imagine having my old Chihuahua back there potty-trained to go outside in the winter and snow with how cold she gets so easily.

I actually used to feed my Chihuahua back home Wellness and she was doing pretty well on it. That brand doesn't seem to be available to me here in Sweden though, so I'm going to give Taste of the Wild a try. I like that it's completely grain free.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Terri, thank you again for all of this advice. I'm definitely going to give TOTW a try, and buy some chicken thighs/legs to replace a few meals of the week with. I'll have to use the raw foods calculator to see how much in weight I should be giving her. I'm not entirely sure what she weighs yet.

My Chihuahua back home had major dental issues that I had been trying to correct ever since I moved out of my Mom's with her, but I could never see any improvement. My mom never fed her high quality food, on top of letting her free feed. So I want to prevent the health problems I had to face with my old Chihuahua with this puppy as best I can. I'll definitely send Brody's Mom a PM if I have any questions since she seems to be very knowledgeable. Maybe she'll even grace this thread with her presence. ;)

Kat, I'm glad to see another person is supportive of the lifestyle plans I have in mind for Parsley! I'm definitely going to give TOTW and the raw bones a go. I look forward to letting everyone know how this week goes. Really glad I found this community of Chihuahua people. You're all so friendly and informative!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You are welcome! Just one more thing - I buy my dogs' pee pads from Sam's Club. They are the kind designed to go on a bed for incontinent humans and they are much cheaper than puppy pads. They do not have the scent to draw the puppy but honestly I haven't found it made a difference. I do not know if there is a Swedish equivalent to Sam's but it's worth checking to see if you can find them somewhere. Also, there are some here who use the washable incontinence pads for humans for their pups and just wash them. I do not know your laundry set up so may not be feasible for you but just a thought.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually looked for those type of human pads before I resorted to ordering real puppy pads online, since those were what I used for my Chihuahua in the U.S. But I couldn't find them anywhere and no one was any help in directing me where I could find them. We went to every pharmacy and asked the pharmacists since I figured they'd know if anyone, and they were not helpful at all.

We live in an apartment building and have to schedule laundry times in the building's laundry room, so the washable ones are pretty much not an option for us, unfortunately. :( Can't have smelly pads stinking up the apartment for days at a time!

But at least these puppy pads weren't terribly expensive. It was about $18 for a pack of 50 that are 24x24 inches, compared to the ones at the pet supply store here that were $13 for a pack of 15 TINY pads! They were about 1/3 of the size of these ones. Pretty insane pricing!

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some upsetting news today. :(

The puppy we were going to get seems to be ill. She was rushed to the vet last night on emergency because she hadn't been eating and her blood sugar had dropped so low. She's still not doing so well. They're having to feed her through a syringe. We still took the three hour trip to visit her today, but she was completely lethargic and shaky and whimpering. She's going to stay there for a few more days and see if she recovers before we make a decision to take her.

I am so bummed. One because I thought we would have our new puppy today, and two because I feel so bad for the poor little thing. I really hope she recovers, whether she comes home with us or not. :(

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your puppy. I hope she can pull through. I would get some nutrical to keep on hand for her for when she comes home. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you, Kay. I'll definitely do that if she comes home with us.

I talked to my Mom last night about the whole situation and she thinks I should wait for another puppy to come along. This puppy is not being sold directly from the breeder, which worries me a little. She was bought a week ago by a couple, but they're selling her now because the girl claims to have an allergy to her. The couple are very kind, though, which makes this even more difficult. I wish them all the best if they decide to keep her themselves, which it seems that they may if we do not take her, because the girl was asking me quite a lot of questions about the breed as if she wanted to prepare for keeping her. They've already invested quite a lot of money into her vet bills. The situation is very sad and I feel somewhat guilty about it all because the couple says they really like us and the girl admires what I know about the breed and that I have experience with owning a Chihuahua in the past. The biggest issue is that it's costing me $125 per trip to go visit her, so I can't keep investing money into this if we aren't surely getting the puppy. :(

My gut is telling me to wait for a puppy from a reputable breeder, preferably located closer to where we live. I truly am torn, but I think this would be the best decision for my boyfriend and I.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts