Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

Need some advice.. Daisy is teething and is chewing every human in site.. I have tried putting her chews in her mouth, putting her toys in her mouth, ouching and saying no.. but she just thinks its a game and does it even more. Does anyone have any advice? Oh i managed to close her snout too.. give her direct eye contact which she shys away from but i don't want her getting nasty i know she's a puppy and has to learn but it hurts and i dont want her nipping people.. she is generally a big kisser and doesn't stop slobbering on everyone!!

Help Please
Sarah

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I had this problem with Jazz when she was a puppy. It didn't matter WHAT I did, she just kept biting and nipping at my fingers when I'd try to play with her, at my lip when I was loving on her etc. I tried EVERYTHING! Finally though, I found something that worked for her. Every time she'd nip, I'd put my thumb in her mouth and press it into her upper palate, while also pressing down on her snout with my fingers, so it exerted pressure. It didn't hurt her, but I could tell it felt very uncomfortable by the way she squirmed to get loose. I actually encouraged opportunities for her to nip at me, just so I could do this to her a LOT, and hopefully get her to associate nipping with this very uncomfortable thing I was doing. It worked. Worked better than anything else did. Within a week with me doing this very, very consistently, she'd stopped nipping. Occasionally she'd forget, but one time doing that again and it reminded her that oh yeah, nipping's no fun. :D

The secret is consistency though. You HAVE to respond this way every time.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.. wil give it ago so do i just stick my thumb in fingerprint upwards and close her mouth with the other fingers?? ~I roll her onto her back so she's submissive aswell but no joy!! I know its coz she's in pain but hello i dont need to fill that pain!! Did you tell her no at the same time???

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Thanks.. wil give it ago so do i just stick my thumb in fingerprint upwards and close her mouth with the other fingers?? ~I roll her onto her back so she's submissive aswell but no joy!! I know its coz she's in pain but hello i dont need to fill that pain!! Did you tell her no at the same time???
Don't close her mouth on your thumb! If you're doing that, you're pressing on the wrong jaw. But yes, thumb in mouth, fingerprint upwards pressing on her upper palate. Your other fingers pressing on her upper jaw/nose area, so you're creating a pincer action with your thumb and fingers, squeezing her upper jaw between them. If you're doing it like I did, her nose will be towards the palm of your hand and she'll be working her lower jaw trying to get free. I didn't bother much with verbal commands when I did this. I mean you can if you want, but I was more focused on getting her to associate that nasty feeling of pressure and constriction with the nipping.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
You're welcome. Remember though that this isn't going to be an instant fix, if it is even a fix at all. It's what worked for me when nothing else, none of the other more traditional methods, worked. She's not going to like it, I can guarantee that, and she's going to squirm to get OUT of your grasp as fast as she can, which makes it that much harder to be consistent. Before Jazz finally gave up the biting, she began to anticipate that I was going to do this to her when she nipped, and so she'd nip at me, then quickly turn her head away or try and run away because she knew what was coming lol! The point being that you're likely going to have to be quicker than your pup, in order to keep this training consistent till she gets the idea.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything will help.. i know its because she's teething but she has to learn.. she's so good with everything else, she doesn't chew any of my belongings and is doing so wel with housetraining but my fingers and nip city!!! Will let you know if it works!" Thanks

·
Registered
354 Posts
All 3 of ours when through that and your right those teeth are sharp!!! Looks like you tried what worked for us!!! Whenever they would bite i would yes out ow! i a high pitched voice! they would stop and look at me and then give me kisses where they were bitting!!.

good luck!

Darla

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
All 3 of ours when through that and your right those teeth are sharp!!! Looks like you tried what worked for us!!! Whenever they would bite i would yes out ow! i a high pitched voice! they would stop and look at me and then give me kisses where they were bitting!!.

good luck!

Darla
It's funny to me what works and what doesn't...I guess it depends on the dog. I was SO excited when I got the advice to do the "Ow!" thing, nothing else had worked thus far, and because Jazz is so sensitive to my my moods, even at an early age, that I thought for sure that would work! I made a big deal out of yelling, going all drama-queen, thinking she would surely get it. But she just paused for an instant, gave me one of her quizzical, head-tilted-to-the-side looks, then went right on nipping lol! After about 4 days of the owie training, to absolutely NO discernible result, I finally quit and and went searching for some other solution. :D

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

good luck!

Darla
Its agony.. seriously she bit me by mistake the other day and i bled!!! Will see what happens.. she's awake now so going to go try although currently she's missed mummy and wants to slobber on me!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Toby started chewing on things and nipping. If i was sitting on the floor playing with him or just watching television he would nip and chew my big toe, and your right it feels like someone is putting pins in my foot over and over. So when Toby does it i say in a loud stern voice "NO" and clap my hands together to make a loud noise. It seems to be working so far.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toby started chewing on things and nipping. If i was sitting on the floor playing with him or just watching television he would nip and chew my big toe, and your right it feels like someone is putting pins in my foot over and over. So when Toby does it i say in a loud stern voice "NO" and clap my hands together to make a loud noise. It seems to be working so far.
I tried this and the stopping playing and just got looked at as if to say whats your problem ha ha.. Have read about squirting water in their face. Daisy HATES her face getting wet so may give that ago!!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Elise alwats bites. but shes learning and now licks to say sorry. she just gets carried away. good thing is she wont play rough with the children!! just keep telling her no x

1 - 13 of 13 Posts