Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's currently 94 degrees in our house right now and it's 11:30pm. Tomorrow is sure to be even hotter. Our air conditioner is broken to say the least. What can I do to make sure Ote and Mojo are at comfortable temperatures? I have a cooling pad and some ice packs wrapped in blankets around where they sleep and under the pads in their beds. Also, lots of water with ice and making sure the bowl stays filled to the top. A floor fan is placed right in front of both of their beds. Their "daddy" and I will be going to a wedding tomorrow and these two will have to stay home, so I want to make sure they'll be okay when I'm gone. They have no where else that they can stay, as both of our families will be attending the wedding, with the exception of my mom who is watching them (her air conditioner has been broken since last summer......)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
hmmm i think they will find their own way of keepin cool. dex does this when its really hot. he'll lay on the floor and cool off there instead of bein on blankets and anythin warm :) i dont think theres much u can do if the ac is down :(

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
When Toby gets warm, he lays on his back on the tile in the kitchen. We live in Florida, when our a/c broke a while back, Toby went in the kitchen with his bed and blanket. He had a giant bowl of ice water, a floor fan, and a frozen kong. He was the coolest living thing in the entire house! We were sweating, he was sleeping peacefully- not even panting!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yikes.. It was hot here yesterday 107.. Mine lay on the tile etc to cool off. I could not live without air I guess it's good I am married to a heat and air man.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think as long as they have plenty of fresh cool water they should be ok. They will find a way to keep themselves cool.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
They are from the desert of Mexico, they do very well in the heat. It will be 100 degrees here and they are all out sun bathing. Just make sure they have water. And be sure the fan will not be blowing directly on them, they may get a chill.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Get several 2 liter bottles and fill almost to the top with water. Freeze. Place a sock over them and put in their crate. They will let off some cool air and the dogs can lay against them. You can also lightly mist the dogs with cool water, especially their necks, armpits, and groins.

If it gets horribly hot and unbearable, go to a hotel or a friends house.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I am in the same boat. We got hit by a bad storm last night and we have no power! I just gave my bounds all the ice from my freezer to add to their water. We are also suppose to go up to 100 degrees. Thinking about movinghe chis and cats to my basement as it is always cold there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts