Chihuahua People Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On wednesday my chihuahua Giz was fined then about 330pm my Hubby took her and the dogs out to potty and she was acting drunk. I thought sugar level so i gave her wet dog food and she was not acting her self. Tilted head falling to the right side even rolling over. I thought she would be ok so i let her rest and gave her body a rub down. I took her to the vet on Friday as they were closed Thursday. The looked at her and he dont even know what happen he gave me some meds to give her and I have been giving her that since Friday. She is eating fine and pooping and all that just fine she just has her head tilt to the right. her eye is not flickering anymore like it was on Friday...The next step is blood work if these meds dont work or help and more meds for her..if that dont work a MRI but that is way to much..i talked about xrays but he said it wont show anything. he think she had some kind of head trauma and i am just so worried cause i am with her all the time. i know she was snapping at me since around Aug then it when to the rest of the family. Maybe she knew soemthing was up...i am just dont know what to do...or how long i want her to live like this...i have read it said it can take weeks to months before she is back to her self..its already been 4 days and nothing has change expect her right eye is not flicking any more...has any one seen this or heard about this? any hope that she may come out of this...i just dont want to say i want to give up to soon when she could come out of ti but i feel in my gut she cant live like this the rest of her life...

thanks

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Maybe she has a brain tumour? My dog as a child had this and her temperament changed she became very snappy and unsociable!! It's got worse to the point shed hit her head on the floor when she sneezed and she was sneezing loads sadly we chose to have her pts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sorry you lost her... In order for them to find out I would have to do MRI my vet feels she has one or water on her brian...but a xray wont show this...I just dont know how much longer i want her to go like this. I am also feeling we may have to put her to sleep...

How did your vet find out she had a tumour?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it have been a seziure? Smoke has focal seziures, they don't do the whole body shaking.
i was wondering the same thing like last night her back legs went stiff along with her tail went up her head went to the back of her shoulder just about and she was crying some..

How can a vet tell if they have one?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I took a video of what he was doing and as soon as the vet saw it, she knew what was going on. Hopefully, that is what is going on, it's treatable.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pam,
was his head tilted to right and did he fall or roll over to the right alot when trying to walk...The vet saw her was and everything and he said the only way we can tell if anything wrong int he brain is CT or MRI. Water on Brain or Tumor...She was not shaking when i picker her up but after words she was twiching some well jsut her head...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
No, his seziues are different, but there was anther chi on here that had the same symptoms as what you are describing and she has seziures. There are several different kinds of seziures out there. I am just throwing this out there as another possibility. Smoke's seziures looks like he is chewing gum, his head shakes badly, and his left front leg is held to his chest and trembles.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would get her into a canine neurologist and find out what is going on. This is not something to wait around on in my opinion. An MRI would be a good first step.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
How old is Giz and how long have you had him? Did he start doing these seizure-type things after you started him on the meds? or has he been doing it before the meds? Can you take any video of what he's doing?

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
What medications did the vet give you?

This could be seizures, but it could be something like an Atlantoaxial Instability.

The eyes quivering is because of dizzyness - the room is spinning - and that's why she is falling over and not keeping her balance. You can google nystagmus and find out more about this, treatments, etc.

Definitely need to see a canine neurologist and soon.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Giz i got her from Cl(craigslist) and i have no clue about her history. This tilted head started wednesday and i believe she has a seizure late last night. the vet is going to be taking more blood and in hope her liver is till good and no infection if everything comes back normal we will have her on different meds stronger ones and i was told this will help with her seizures and her head tilt...so we will be going back soon..also it will help if she has water on her brain...

A canine neurologist will cost me a butt load and I dont have it... I would love to take her or do a MRI it I found out it will cost 1500plus and if that dont show why but the new meds are helping them we have out answer...I am thinking she has some kind of head trauma and i didnt see anything happen.

I just wondering if the person who had this before is still on her or if we could find that thread...I would like to see what she or he found out..

the meds they gave her are Metacam...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What medications did the vet give you?

This could be seizures, but it could be something like an Atlantoaxial Instability.

The eyes quivering is because of dizzyness - the room is spinning - and that's why she is falling over and not keeping her balance. You can google nystagmus and find out more about this, treatments, etc.

Definitely need to see a canine neurologist and soon.

Thank you I am google is now well after i post this. thanks again

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I think that's a good idea to find the people you got her from and find out if she had any head trauma. Just let them know it will help you get her the help he needs. I know how you feel about the cost-they're ridiculously high. Just make sure you ask a lot of questions especially about the meds they are prescribing because you're chi may not be able to handle stronger meds or certain kinds.
You are definitely at the right forum as there are many people on here that are very experienced with seizures and head trauma and MEDS, so maybe they can guide you in the right direction.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my vet said before they give her the strong meds(striods) they have to make sure her blood work is still ok..if she does have water on her brain and did have a seizuer these will help....

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Metacam is for pain. Is she in pain?

Steroids reduce swelling/inflammation.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I am also feeling we may have to put her to sleep
I would pay the money and have the MRI done, it's the responsible thing to do.
Do you not have insurance on your dogs? mine are insured to the hilt.

A canine neurologist will cost me a butt load and I dont have it... I would love to take her or do a MRI it I found out it will cost 1500plus and if that dont show why but the new meds are helping them we have out answer...I am thinking she has some kind of head trauma and i didnt see anything happen.

I just wondering if the person who had this before is still on her or if we could find that thread...I would like to see what she or he found out..

the meds they gave her are Metacam...
Part of the expenses of owning a dog are being able to afford it's vet care.
Please have this dog seen by a neurologist!
And in the future I recommend insurance I have it on all my dogs for situations just like this.

Is this a dog you have used for breeding? if so I would advise the puppy owners that something may be off in the lines.

I think you are also talking about Guess and her puppy, however that situation was entirely different.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.