Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
problem 1#..well, i got him when he was 3 months old...i live in alaska and he refused to go to the bathroom outside, negative weather. so we gave him the puppy pads. he did pretty good after about 2 months...hes a year now and still wont go outside. no problem, we live in a busy apartment and hes 6lbs..but he keeps going next to it, no matter how many times we change the pad. any idea?

problem #2..he's never gone up to someone and bitten them (or i guess when someone is play hitting or grabbing another person, he will kind of nip at them SOMETIMES..but hes never been mean) or bitten anyone out of anger. but when playing, or holding and petting, he nibbles or puts our hands in his mouth and bites. he gets rough. ive tried so many things to get him to stop. he will if i point my finger at him and say "NO!" but he'll go right back to doing it again. ive tried the getting up and walking away method, spray bottle, kennel. everything.

problem #3..he will NOT come to me. he has NEVER been a shaky/scared/nervous dog...at all. as long as i had him hes very easy going, loves playing with kids..but he refuses to come to us. if were going for a walk, and hes exited to go..he will not come, we have to chase him down into a corner to pick him up. we have to do that for everything. ive tried the treat thing, the leash trick and everything else, he just wont. he isn't scared....i know he isnt. i don't know whats wrong with him.

i taught him how to shake in an hour.
i taught him to lay down in an hour
i taught him to sit in an hour.

not sure why he wont do anything else...ive been asking for help for like, 5 months, have NO answers. money is low, can't afford a training class. he is 6lbs and a very lovey/chill dog. he DOES bark whenever he hears neighbors and someone coming in...which can get annoying but i do realize this is chi behavior. anyone have any tips, suggestions i cant just get from googling lol. please help me. thank you.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
He is so adorable!!

It seems that he doesn't see you as the pack leader. I got my chi at 9wks old, he is now 21 months old. Getting him to come now is pretty easy. If he is outside rolling in something - he wont come!! But I kept treats in my pocket and kept calling him. When he came, I would give him a treat. When he finally came every time no matter where I was, I switched to give him loving attention. He loves having his back scratched! hehe. Another way I learned many years ago, was to put a long leash on him (with a chi you could probably use a peice of rope tied to a leash, and walk back away from him and call him, while gently tugging on the leash. When he comes give him tons of praise and a treat. You will need to adjust the length of the leash. Start out with a medium length and increase it as he comes.

For going outside, I use a slip lead, like a show lead. It just makes a loop that I put over his head and snug it up. I make a big loop, put my hand through it with a small treat, when he comes for the treat, I slip it over his head and we go outside! Again, he doesn't get one every time because he has learned he has to come - as far as going outside is concerned.

For potty training, you will have to go back to the beginning. If he is not using the pee pad, then he needs to be confined or under "constant" watch until he realizes that, that is where he needs to go! It will hurt you more than it will hurt him. We hate to see our little ones in the crate, but they actually get used to it.

The barking and biting. Play biting is a no-no! Try yelling ouch! It works pretty well. He is still a pup! Even at 21 months old Angel is still a pup! But play biting doesnt happen here. If he did, I would yell ouch! loudly! Then get up and ignore him! They do not like to be ignored! Careful with the water bottle. I use it to get him to stop barking. But my husband reminds me not to over do it! It's easy to get carried away. The other thing I do with him is make him "focus!" I will frequently get his attention, where as he has to look directly at me for several seconds. That usually distracts him from the barking.

A good read is "Nothing in life is free" There are excerpts from the book on the net. You can google it and find info. There are other sites. If I think of them I will send them to you via PM.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Cindy gave some great advice! I agree wholeheartedly. If he's not responding it's likely he's just not taking you seriously. Even if he's responding to other commands, but not some; he's still doing everything on HIS terms. I too am all for NILIF training. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Neither of my 3 chi's will come close enough for me to touch them. They do come, but just far enough! In puppy school, this week, the pup has to let you touch their collar for them to get a treat. Bonnie has come close enough to scratch her under her chin, but the collar is eluding us! More work! Mine seem to know the collar means control, and they won't be 'free'!!! Two of mine, don't even wear collars. They scratch so much, I took them off. They do wear a harness when we are off the property.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Another important thing to remember is to try to look at the world through his eyes!! Being just a baby, everything seems huge & over-powering (SCARY). Try getting on your hands & knees to call him. Have frequent play sessions while you roll around on the floor. Pups love playtime & when he realizes everytime you get on the floor, it's playtime, he'll start coming on a regular basis which will make it easier to take him for walks. Just like babies, they forget what they're supposed to do & have to be reminded. My chi is 7 years old & I still praise her everytime she goes potty! Most chis don't like the cold and/or wet grass. Remember that chis are dogs & dogs bark. There's a right time to hush them. They like to warn us when someone's at the door or getting too close to their home. When ever my chi barks, I look to see what she's barking at. When I see that it's not a threat, I tell her o.k. it's alright, that's enough. Constant repetition is the key with dogs. Most dogs are smart & pick up on what we say & what we teach fairly quickly, but by facial expressions, tone of voice & repetitive words. Be patient with your gorgeous baby, he can pick up on your stress & displeasement of not doing what you want & this can cause him to be more reluctant. Try to be more positive. If he's biting while playing or when you're petting, say ouch, NO! & give him a chew toy. He'll learn what you want him to do, it just takes time, so sit back & relax--have fun with this baby while he's still a pup because they grow up quick!! Lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
A Chi should be doing his business indoors if you live in Alaska -- much of the year the weather is definitely too cold for him to be outdoors. It can be difficult for some male dogs to aim and hit the pee pad. I know people who own male Chis who have put a small fire hydrant or fake little palm tree next to the pad with the pad in front of it and the male aims for the hydrant o tree and it gets on the pad. Another thing is the fabric belts they sell for male dogs that go over their male part. That way he can be outside his kennel and you do not have to worry he is peeing on stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts