Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... not yet at least. We took Piper to the vet tonight, for him to check to see if she is ready to be spayed. She's not. He said to let her go into her first heat. He feels that she's still not developed enough. (very tiny vulva) He said if we do it now she'll get fat, and she will be plaqued with recurrent vaginitis. ??? He says he sees too much of this, and alot of it is because the Humane Society and other shelters and rescues will spay any puppy at 8 weeks even if it's too soon.

So I guess Piper will go into heat. *faints* :shock:
I've always had male dogs.

Please tell me everything. She's 8 months old, so it won't be long. I don't want to Google this, I want to hear it from the breeders and other Chi owners who have been through it. I have lots of questions too. :)

Where do I buy the little pants to fit a 4.8 lb. Chihuahua??

Gizmo is neutered. Will he still be going after her when she's in heat?

Will they still be able to play together?

Does the bleeding really last for 12 days??!!

Help. Please. :)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
LOL No the bleeding doesn't last for the whole time, just the first 4-5 days and it's spotty not a lot of blood. You should be able to find the panties at a good pet store. She will probably be grumpy just before she goes into heat and not like Gizmo near her. He will probably be facinated by her smell when she goes into heat and when she's ready to mate she'll be irritated that he isn't doing his job, LOL but there really isn't any need to try and keep them separated unless they just drive you nuts. My vet is absolutely down on neutering and spaying too soon also.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
if we do it now she'll get fat, and she will be plaqued with recurrent vaginitis
he actually said she will get fat!!! and that is a myth i thought all vets were trying to stop! the vaginitis is one thing but saying she will get fat. i'm disappointed to read that.

some dog's will keep themselves so clean you won't know that they are in heat by the blood. we had no idea our muphin was (she was set to get spayed the next week and that's how we had our incestial oops, came in to find them stuck.) she is a very clean dog and there was no show of it anywhere, floors, beds, couches nowhere. and it's not like we expected it to happen so soon, plus with a long hair shih tzu mix it's not like you can see the tell tale swelling of the vulva.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The bleeding last for about 10 days :? then she will stop and will stand for anything lol neutered or not :lol: :lol: then she could bleed after that. The whole heat cycle is usually about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. Keep your head up it will go by fast. :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Although Gizmo has been neutered he will still be able to mate her - I know this cos one of my neutered dogs has done it :oops: .
Some male dogs never show an interest but others do so be careful especially round about the 10th - 14th day.
Good luck :)

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I may run into the same problem......I am not sure what to tell you but I wish you all the best!! :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts