Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
There is another thread in this forum where this same topic and that article were discussed. You could read it by doing a search. Then we wouldn't have to rehash the whole thing again.

These discussions always lead to someone who doesn't know what they're talking about saying, "Merles have health problems." They don't have any more problems than any other chis unless they're bred by an irresponsible breeder. When that happens they have the double merle gene (homozygous) and they're probably dead at birth or soon thereafter.

Blue Merle chis are AKC registerable. You have to prove it with pics to get them registered.

If Frasier and the other merles are crossbreeds then the AKC is in error.

And I don't need to be told not to take this so personally because if I posted a thread saying that all (black, cream, extra large, or whatever) chis were crossbreeds, had health problems, or weren't real then all the people who owned those type of chis would take it personally.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Frasier's Mommy said:
There is another thread in this forum where this same topic and that article were discussed. You could read it by doing a search. Then we wouldn't have to rehash the whole thing again.

These discussions always lead to someone who doesn't know what they're talking about saying, "Merles have health problems." They don't have any more problems than any other chis unless they're bred by an irresponsible breeder. When that happens they have the double merle gene (homozygous) and they're probably dead at birth or soon thereafter.

Blue Merle chis are AKC registerable. You have to prove it with pics to get them registered.

If Frasier and the other merles are crossbreeds then the AKC is in error.

And I don't need to be told not to take this so personally because if I posted a thread saying that all (black, cream, extra large, or whatever) chis were crossbreeds, had health problems, or weren't real then all the people who owned those type of chis would take it personally.
It doesn't matter what any article says...merle's are chi's just like a 10 lb chi is a chi. as the saying goes: "If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, acts like a duck...it's a duck." Same goes for chi's. And Frasier is such an adorable little chi and his colors make him very unique and special.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am very sorry if anyone was offended. I certainly did not mean to imply anything other than I found the article interesting. I'm certainly no expert and don't claim to be. It all sounds much more complicated than I care to dig into. I, also was not aware that this same article had been in a previous post, if I was, I would not have brought it up. And.....since my unregistered chi (or possibly mix) weighs 12 lbs., I would certainly not imply to anyone, anywhere that their chi was better or worse than anyone else's. Please forgive me, I will definately do more research before I post on this forum again. Again, I'm very sorry if I offended anyone!

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
thats fine its obvious you didnt mean to offend anyone and keep posting things can turn into a big debate on here sometimes but 99% of the time its super friendly :wave:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
MYCHIBABY said:
I am very sorry if anyone was offended. I certainly did not mean to imply anything other than I found the article interesting. I'm certainly no expert and don't claim to be. It all sounds much more complicated than I care to dig into. I, also was not aware that this same article had been in a previous post, if I was, I would not have brought it up. And.....since my unregistered chi (or possibly mix) weighs 12 lbs., I would certainly not imply to anyone, anywhere that their chi was better or worse than anyone else's. Please forgive me, I will definately do more research before I post on this forum again. Again, I'm very sorry if I offended anyone!
I know your post was not meant to offend anyone :) It's just there was another thread where someone was saying they were going to sell their chi's for a high price because they were merle and people started saying merle's were crossbreeds, etc. (at least i think thats the thread that was being referred to.) this is a very friendly forum and we're all a big chi family. it's just sometimes we get people who come on here claiming that "deerheads" are not "real" chi's, or that if a chi weighs more than the standard 6 lbs their not "real" chi's, things like that and it kinda upsets people. our chi's are our babies and we do get very defensive of them. just remember when posting smething like this, some of us will take it personally. i'm sorry if my post came of kind of harsh or anything, because I certainly didn't mean it to be. i, too, get very defensive of chi's, even if it's not about my chi. :wave:

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
basically the only danger in merles is that a merle shouldnt be bred to a merle etc and if like frasier mom says they are bred responsibly and background, sight and hearing is checked there isnt a problem, if they are going to not register or recognise Merles than they need to do the same for LH chis as they were obviously cross bred generations ago probably SH with papillions etc to create the coat- so then they would have to not register them aswell, In the UK it wouldnt matter as LH are seen as a different breed to SH :wave:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts