Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bella has no concept for the word "NO." Like when she is biting me, i tell her NO (in a stern voice) but she gets even more excited like its a game! How do i get her to understand NO means NO?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,764 Posts
totally ignore her.. I think get up and walk away or put her in a pen or away from you.. :( so she cannot get to you and say the word no. That way when she hears it next time... she should know whats coming when you say no... ISOLATION! lol sounds harsh but I think she'll get the hang of it in no time! :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,312 Posts
When Lola or Bosco would do this as puppies, I would yelp in a very high pitched voice. They seemed to understand that and would stop immediately, I think because that is the same noise they make when they are hurt.

Give that a try! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
ilovekeiki said:
Bella has no concept for the word "NO." Like when she is biting me, i tell her NO (in a stern voice) but she gets even more excited like its a game! How do i get her to understand NO means NO?
Thank God. I thought it was only me that had that problem :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,425 Posts
ilovekeiki said:
Bella has no concept for the word "NO." Like when she is biting me, i tell her NO (in a stern voice) but she gets even more excited like its a game! How do i get her to understand NO means NO?
Try saying "OUCH!" instead of no... pull your hand away and look at her as if you are completely surprised she would do such a thing. That's what I did with Cooper and it worked. But he was never much of a biter anyway.

You might also try putting some beans or coins in a small can and rattling it whenever she bites you, in conjunction with you saying NO or whatever you are saying. It will give her a startle, she'll think she caused it and she'll relate the word you're using to the noise.

Good luck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Yeah I just recently took an empty coke can and put pennies in it and then taped it shut. Whenever she pee's on the floor or bites me I shake it and tell her No No No! So now when I pick up the can she knows she is going to get yelled at lol she still doesn't understand the word no without the can but it doesn't matter to me as long as she stops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm.... good ideas ladies! i am gonna try them all and i will let you know how it goes! THANKS! :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,578 Posts
Boogaloo said:
When Lola or Bosco would do this as puppies, I would yelp in a very high pitched voice. They seemed to understand that and would stop immediately, I think because that is the same noise they make when they are hurt.

Give that a try! :D

i do that too ....works as a charm !!

kisses nat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
I had EXACTLY this problem too, have to agree that the best solution for this is to just get up and leave the room quietly, taking any toys with you (if you were playing a game!).
It really works, they don't like being ignored!!

Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
bobo has the same problem with "NO"...it works only 40% of the time...the other 60% is a game to him...if you put him away from you or dont let him bite you, he'll start pouncing and barking at you! what seems to work more is when i say "HEY!" in a stern voice.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top