Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noah has developed a disgusting habit of drinking his urine, I try to stop him but he always seems very determined and does it all the time now even whilst in the middle of doing it . .
He doesn't drink often from his water bowl anymore so I've been putting water in his food to keep his hydration up as his pee was getting very dark, it's okay when I do this.

Is this just a behavior issue or could something else be going on here?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I don't know of any dog that actually does that even though I heard of dogs who eat their own poop.
I would change his water bowl. Maybe for some reason he doesn't like it. Then I would let him pee on grass so he has no chance of actually liking it up.
If he is not drinking a lot then keep mixing water into his wet food.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
my chis drink each others urine, so I have to be really fast cleaning it, my vet said their are healthy and have no infections. They lick and clean themselves and each other so I guess they recognize the taste, it's awful and disgusting but the only thing to do it's clean it fast I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Noah has developed a disgusting habit of drinking his urine, I try to stop him but he always seems very determined and does it all the time now even whilst in the middle of doing it . .
He doesn't drink often from his water bowl anymore so I've been putting water in his food to keep his hydration up as his pee was getting very dark, it's okay when I do this.

Is this just a behavior issue or could something else be going on here?
Definitely have his urine checked for UTI. How long has he been doing this? Is it a sudden change? If there's no UTI, it might be safe to have a blood panel done. Dark pee sounds like an infection of some sort. Please udate us with how he's doing.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It's only dark if I don't keep the water in his food, I used to see him drink alot from his bowl but rarely do anymore. When I mean dark it's like a very deep yellow it goes clear after he's had a meal with the water.

I bought him a new bowl yesterday as he kept knocking his other one around, but yeah he is always licking his bits also! I've thought about UTI but i thought there may be pain or blood? or accidents,none of those apart from the usual house training accident.

Will probably end up in the vets again soon anyway due to his tummy .. :'( at the moment I'm correcting him and stopping him from doing it, I'm hoping it's more behavior but I don't know? I have mentioned it before to the vet but will have to ask again.

It's not something he has always done? I guess it's been going on for about a month now? I don't know.

Trust me to get a weirdo lol.

Definitely have his urine checked for UTI. How long has he been doing this? Is it a sudden change? If there's no UTI, it might be safe to have a blood panel done. Dark pee sounds like an infection of some sort. Please udate us with how he's doing.
How would they check for a UTI,a urine sample? and what about blood panel, what is that and what would it look for? that sounds quite serious ;(

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
To check for a UTI they take a urine sample. A blood sample could be used to see white blood cell counts and other signs of infection, I believe. Its quite routine for vets to take blood to rule out illnesses. To me, it sounds like he may have a UTI. I'd take him to the vet, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ugh god I hope it's nothing serious, scaring myself now looking at dog diabetes...
Though surely as long as he is still a ball of energy and bright, it can't be that bad?

He just went now and didn't go to drink this time, so I'm hoping it is just puppy behavior.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wow, Ren does the same thing! I noticed it about a week or two after I got him. About half the time, when he pees on his pad, he will turn his head around and take a lick from the stream of pee coming out.

At his last vet appointment I asked about it. And later on, when I saw him circling, I directed him to the pad I'd brought with me and put on the vet's floor. Sure enough, he demonstrated this behavior in front of the vet.

She said she had never heard of a dog doing that, but didn't think it indicated a problem, and it could be that he was just curious. But I will ask about a possible UTI.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes! Noah will do this too, I have to tell him to leave it and then he will.
He will also lick any accidents and also the pad unless I shoo him away.
Perhaps they're just weirdos and just need to be corrected? or he is trying to clear up his mess, I don't know lol?

I know Noah has gone to have a look at his poop in the past but I'm usually always quick to dive in a tissue as he goes and dispose it away asap, so hes never had the chance, thankgod! so it's not a problem.

When I look at UTI symptoms they don't really fit, but will be curious to what a vet says but yours didn't sound too concerned, I would of thought she would of suggested a UTI if it is related? I'm leaning towards behavior atm, but perhaps that wishful thinking.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I still would have him checked out if this is a new behavior. Better to be safe than sorry- UTI's can get pretty painful, and you don't want to wait to the point where you see blood if he has one.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I still would have him checked out if this is a new behavior. Better to be safe than sorry- UTI's can get pretty painful, and you don't want to wait to the point where you see blood if he has one.
Exactly. If it is a UTI and you don't get it checked out, it can impact the kidneys. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never said I wasn't going to vets as he has everything wrong with him anyway, so will ask when I'm there.
but I hardly see it so urgent as to ring an emergency vet right now.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes as it's got worse again after he came off the antibiotics :( he is alright in himself, just everything inside appears to be a mess.
I just hope all these small problems aren't going to turn into something more sinister, just wish could figure things out for him! In the process of elimination and digestive supplements atm ;(

I think he's had more problems and vet visits than all my other pets combined lol.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Oh!! If he's on antibiotics, it's very possible it's a UTI. The symptoms are difficult to spot & they can't tell you. One of the signs may be the urine drinking & the dark yellow urine. Although it's doesn't sound like an immediate emergency, I wouldn't wait too long. My chi had a UTI over a week before I saw the symptoms & developed struvite crystals (stones). She was on antibiotics for a month that caused the UTI. Now she's back on antibiotics for the UTI, but I've safeguarded her with additional remedies to help her get better quicker. A UTI can be a quick fix if caught early enough, but crystals take a long time to get rid of & can cause complications like blockage. I hope your little guy doesn't have a UTI, but it's always best to check.
A little advice to get the urine checked is to gather it up the morning you planned to have it checked. This way they don't have to insert a needle into the bladder to extract it. Nobody likes needles. Lol

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He was on antibiotics last week the urine problems/drinking have been going on long before that, I actually thought the antibiotics would of helped? But I guess they use different biotics for different problems.

I reckon he probably does have something going on, uti or other - he wet his bed not long ago now when I went to get him out of the crate, he didn't even stand up just did it sitting!!! I found that VERY weird and unlike him and he is going alot.

I'm going to ring vets tomorrow, starting to think I should probably get pet insurance as well lol. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
He was on antibiotics last week the urine problems/drinking have been going on long before that, I actually thought the antibiotics would of helped? But I guess they use different biotics for different problems.

I reckon he probably does have something going on, uti or other - he wet his bed not long ago now when I went to get him out of the crate, he didn't even stand up just did it sitting!!! I found that VERY weird and unlike him and he is going alot.

I'm going to ring vets tomorrow, starting to think I should probably get pet insurance as well lol. :rolleyes:
Aw, poor baby. Yea, my chi peed on my girls brand new throw rug which is something she NEVER does. That's how I knew something was going on with her.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I'd use the upside down pee pad method. If he goes outside you need to try to get him to pee in something. I'd try a plastic disposable container (in the USA Glad an ziplock make really cheap ones).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts