Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
No, but we had a standard poodle for 12 years. She was a great dog. :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I dont but my Aunt does! She is also a chi owner. Her poodle is roughly 2.5 lbs full grown.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, but we had a standard poodle for 12 years. She was a great dog. :)
oh ,we see those standards at the campgrounds,and they are very well mannered and absolutely beautiful.They look so graceful.I love watching them,Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont but my Aunt does! She is also a chi owner. Her poodle is roughly 2.5 lbs full grown.
I had been looking on the computer some at the toys before I joined this forum.Are they natured alot like the chihuahuas.Even though my heart is with chihuahuas,I think the toy chocolate or black poodles are beautiful!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My mum has a maltese x toy poodle and she is a little bundle of energy, although she is only 6 months old. When I was little we had a mini poodle who lived 17 years and was a really smart little thing so i'm attributing miss Dolly's crazy antics to her age or the maltese in her (although all the maltese owned by people on her look like angelic little dolls to me so who knows where she gets it from).

·
Banned
248 Posts
When I was growing up we took in a 8 year old male toy poodle named "Ralph". He was awesome. Handled himself well around my dads 10 sled dogs (Siberian and Alaskan Huskies). He was so smart, we had him until he died at age 14 and every year between 8-14 he and I would win the pet trick competition at the county fair. He also competed and did well in agility. He was mainly my moms dog and was usually glued to her lap or laying with her on the couch.

He loved everyone but was a bit afraid of small children.

He was apricot colored and would say "Num num num" if you asked if he wanted ice cream lol.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
My friend just adopted a toy poodle a couple of days ago. She had one while we were growing up too. They're spunky little dogs! I think they would compliment the chihuahua nicely.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I can answer any questions you might have.
I had a toy poodle for years and years, and my mother showed & bred them when I was growing up!
In fact I lost my sweetheart a year ago yesterday.
He was 19 years old, best dog I have ever owned.

Few things about Poodles, they have a human like quality, they train extremely easily and excel at most things, they are amazingly bright dogs.
I don't mean to offend anyone here, but Poodles are much more intelligent than Chihuahuas. (My personal opinion)

They are very different however! Chihuahua's are really one person dogs at the end of the day, in contrast Poodles make excellent all around family pets.
They learn new things rapidly & house breaking is virtually never an issue.

I find Chihuahaus can be quite a handful to house train, and sometimes otherwise, more often so than not.
Chihuahuas however are the consumate lap dog (I'm sure you know this! LOL) Poodles are happy to be near you & with you, but they do not exhibit stalker like qualities like our little Chi's ;)

Hope that helped some!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can answer any questions you might have.
I had a toy poodle for years and years, and my mother showed & bred them when I was growing up!
In fact I lost my sweetheart a year ago yesterday.
He was 19 years old, best dog I have ever owned.

Few things about Poodles, they have a human like quality, they train extremely easily and excel at most things, they are amazingly bright dogs.
I don't mean to offend anyone here, but Poodles are much more intelligent than Chihuahuas. (My personal opinion)

They are very different however! Chihuahua's are really one person dogs at the end of the day, in contrast Poodles make excellent all around family pets.
They learn new things rapidly & house breaking is virtually never an issue.

I find Chihuahaus can be quite a handful to house train, and sometimes otherwise, more often so than not.
Chihuahuas however are the consumate lap dog (I'm sure you know this! LOL) Poodles are happy to be near you & with you, but they do not exhibit stalker like qualities like our little Chi's ;)

Hope that helped some!
We have tossed around the idea of our FUTURE one being a toy poodle.My husband is firm on when we retire we will have one only,and like now we have 5 inside,I gotta agree with him though.So i gotta choose carefully.The only thing about a toy poodle is the hair trimming,and the chihuahuas you dont have to.Then again,at the camp grounds you never hear poodles acting up (barking bad),they seem so well behaved.And when we get retirement age,WE BOTH WANT TO ENJOY ONE,and as much as I love my chihuahuas as you pointed out ,they do choose only one person.Ive still got years to figure out what I want,and have already prayed that the Lord put in my path what he wants me to have. we have 26 animals now,so just one will be a huge difference for us when we retire,and the expense of it too.Any information with the "comparison to the toy and the chihuahua" ,I will appreciate.By the way,your chihuahuas are absolutely beautiful!!!

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Oh yes, I neglected the grooming.. ha ha
Thing is if you own poodles you learn pretty quickly how to groom them yourself, otherwise it's a steady gooming bill of 60.00 plus ever few months.
Poodles don't have hair they have wool, so it's great for allergenic reasons, but it can present an issue if you don't deal with it! ha ha

I had Oster A5's from when I had my horses, so I would use those on my dog as well, I kept him clipped fairly short in the spring summer & fall and would let him grow out over the winter months.

It's really not that bad, and it's nice to have a dog that does not shed!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh yes, I neglected the grooming.. ha ha
Thing is if you own poodles you learn pretty quickly how to groom them yourself, otherwise it's a steady gooming bill of 60.00 plus ever few months.
Poodles don't have hair they have wool, so it's great for allergenic reasons, but it can present an issue if you don't deal with it! ha ha

I had Oster A5's from when I had my horses, so I would use those on my dog as well, I kept him clipped fairly short in the spring summer & fall and would let him grow out over the winter months.

It's really not that bad, and it's nice to have a dog that does not shed!
Thanks Kitty for the advice,I guess we will see ONE DAY what "future baby" will be,but knowing us ,it will be a chihuahua.Those face are irresistible!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts