Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, My DH got me the Nookcolor for Christmas but I am thinking the Kindle would be better so I have not opened it yet. Does anybody have either and which do you like the best? The Nookcolor has 8 hour battery life the Kindle about a month :-( That is what is keeping me from opening it.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I bought my mom a kindle last year and she LOVES it, so I bought my mil one this year for Xmas and she loves it as well. I'm not familiar with the nook, but battery life is a big thing to me.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Kindle Kindle Kindle. I have it I love it. :D
I have the 2nd generation but its always better to get the latest one. ;)

-A lot of Kindle books are free. :)
-There is a font were you can make the words beggar.
-If you don't feel reading you can just lesson while kindle read the book for you.
-Its very light you don't even feel it in your bag unless you buy the cover.
-It has bookmark so you know were you left off.
-Easy to go back and forth of the pages
-you can subscribe magazines and newspapers.
-There is no automatic light with the kindle but you can buy one if you like reading in the car at night.
-You can ether transfer the books to your computer or Kindle directly.
-You can even get a free app to read the books in your computer/laptop.
-Battery stays along time with me with out recharging it. Don't know how long since I didn't count the days. Sorry
-If you get an I pad, I phone, or Blackberry, you can just transfer the books there with out buying the kindle books again. ;)
The App is free. ;)

I dont have Nookcolor so someone else who does can help you with that. ;)

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I have the regular Nook (not color). The battery lasts forever so it must be the color that shortens it to only 8 days.

I love my Nook. It has all the features listed above except maybe the Blackberry thing (I wouldn't know bc I don't have a blackberry/iphone).

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I am debating between the nook color and the ipad....the nook color is a backlite "computer" type and the kindle uses the e-ink which looks more like a real page, it is somewhat easier on your eyes. I prefer the nook because I wanted some web access and I hate when products limit your book buying to one source. You cannot buy barnes and noble ebooks and install them on a kindle,and I have tons of barnes and nobel books on my laptop. I am not sure if the kindle has a s-card memory slot for expanded memory, that is important to me as well. If you plan on only using your reader as a reader, a kindle is great as long as you are happy with the amazon bookstore offerings. Good luck in whatever you choose.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went and looked at some e=readers today. I love the Nookcolor by far with the back light and all but it is awful heavy don't think I would like holding it up for to long reading. I also looked at the Sony reader and I love the feel of it. Is the lightest weight one. So now I will have to look for reviews on that. I don't really like the non touch screen on the aKindle but I love thye battery life of 30 days. I need to get Pidges BF take on them all. He so tech savy.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
We have the Sony Reader, Here's my hubby opinions on them he did a TON of research before buying our new ones. We had a Cybook from Bookeen, we decided to update to newer ones, the displays aren't as nice on them, and they aren't touchscreens, which the Sony's are.

Kindles:
If you have 100 books on your kindle and you have to send it in to repair, you have to put them back on the kindle when you get it back
If you have your own ebooks you want on your kindle you have to send to them & they have to convert them for you.
Nooks
They weren't out when we bought our Sony's they are a little bigger and heavier than the Sony we got
Sony Reader (we have the Sony Touch 600)
Has some issues with justified text in an epub file
Other than that we've been extremely happy with them.
Has about 2 week battery life

Rob said he likes the Nook if you want to stay with the Nook exchange for a Wi-Fi Nook as they work very nicely, has a friend at work who has one and likes it.

Here are the specs for the Touch 600:
PRS-600 specifications
Size: 175.3 x 121.9 x 10.2mm (6.9" x 4.8" x 0.4")
Weight: 286 g (10.1 oz)
Display: 6 inch. touch-screen
Resolution: 600 x 800 pixels
Document Search Capability
Built-in Dictionary: American Oxford and English Oxford
eBook support extension
DRM Text : ePub (Adobe DRM protected), PDF (Adobe DRM protected), BBeB Book (PRS DRM protected)
Unsecured Text : ePub, BBeB Book, PDF5, TXT, RTF, Micrsoft® Word, (Conversion to the Reader requires Word installed on your PC)
Gray scale: 8-levels gray scale
Internal Memory: 512MB, 380MB accessible
Expanded Memory: Support for Sony Memory Stick Pro DUO and SDHC up to @16 Gb
Font Size: 5 adjustable font sizes
Battery: Sealed internal, up to two weeks of reading on a single charge
MSRP: US$170
Available case colors:
PRS-600BC: Black
PRS-600SC: Silver
PRS-600RC: Red

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I was curious, do you still have to plug the Sony reader into a computer to download books. I know my mil once had the Sony reader and she needed a comp. The kindle downloads straight from the book. How is the nook?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Hello, My DH got me the Nookcolor for Christmas but I am thinking the Kindle would be better so I have not opened it yet. Does anybody have either and which do you like the best? The Nookcolor has 8 hour battery life the Kindle about a month :-( That is what is keeping me from opening it.
I know this thread is a bit old now, but I have used them all and have a Kindle 3 and I love love love it. I can't think of anything negative about it, it's fantastic. The battery lasts a long time, a month+ if you don't keep wireless on all the time. (I only turn it on when downloading a book, I have the Wifi one, not the 3G) If you keep wireless on all the time, the battery lasts about 3 weeks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Kindle all the way!!! epaper is so easy on the eyes unlike backlit and especially if you want to read out doors back lit screens are terrible in sunlight.

You can convert any book to kindle format using a free program calibra

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Kindle all the way!!! epaper is so easy on the eyes unlike backlit and especially if you want to read out doors back lit screens are terrible in sunlight.

You can convert any book to kindle format using a free program calibra
Yes! I love the Eink technology, it's fantastic. And as someone who reads outside in the Summer a lot the no glare screen is a must! I LOVE it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I definitely need to check out the new Kindle.

I have the Literati e-reader, and absolutely love everything about it except the battery life, which is much less than promised.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
IPAD! it can do so much more then just read books...Hubby loves his

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I love iPads, but definitely not for reading. Way too much glare, plus it's not easy on the eyes at all for extended reading. A dedicated e-reader that's made specifically for reading is far superior.The kindle with e-ink and no back light or glare is as close to paper as I've seen. Plus way way lighter too. I love iPads though, so I'm definitely not knocking them. :)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'd love an ipad, but not for reading, and not when kindles are down to only like $140 bucks compared to an ipad STARTING at $500

I did all my research a while back and I think why I like the looks of Nook better, I think a K3 is more my speed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, there's lots of good books you can get on Kindle. Just in case anyone is interested.... http://www.amazon.com/Pieces-of-The-...5393235&sr=8-2 (I get $5 if someone buys it :p Yes, I'm desperate lol )

It's about: "This is a great debut novel by author Sara Daniels about the diffulculty of being torn from the only family Catherine Caulfield has ever known to having to live with her father who vainly attempts to hide the fact that Catherine, born from an affair, is a blight on his perfect family image.
This novel strips away the veneer of a very normal average New England family to reveal the disfunction within."

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I have had some time to play with them all. and I have decided to keep the nook color, I just love it. Not as heavy as I first thought. I only have to charge it about once a week-10 days and I read off/on every day. It has wi fi but not 3 g but that is ok with me. I love color for the magazines and I'm sorry but I think B&N has a better selection of books the Amazon. It is very easy to navigate around. With the Kindle I felt I was only getting to read half a page before turning pages as the keypad takes up so much room. The Nook Color is like reading a real book with a full page and I love the touch screen. I didnt want an Ipad as I have my Iphone and my mini. I wanted a reader to stick in my purse and the Nookcolor works great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts