Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya does any1 out there no about pigmentation in chihuahuas jacob recently won at his show after the judge came to say he was perfect but his pigmentation on his nose was a bit out is there anything i can do to help correct it as im new i am not sure i have been told there is a cream you can get or to give him a bit of sea kelp any advice much appreciatd thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Your little one looks just like our Kosmo. We thought Kosmo's nose was going to turn all black but he's got what you would call a dudley nose, it has a large patch of liver coloration on the left side and a small darker patch nearing black on the right side. I find it quite fascinating but I know it may be seen as a fault in the show ring.

Here is what the breed standard says about the Chihuahua nose:

Nose - Self-colored in blond types, or black. In moles, blues, and chocolates, they are self-colored. In blond types, pink nose permissible.

Jacob, is a blond-type or fawn. He still looks young so his pigmentation may change with time on its own and may not. Unfortunately, I don't know of anyway that you can change the color but here is a very good article for you to read which may answer some of your questions.

http://www.vetinfo.com/ddepigmt.html#Loss of pigmentation in nose[/b][/i]

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
There are no perfect dogs the judges job is to pick the best one, the closest to the breed standard and still their personal preferences come into play. I doubt he will have any trouble getting his championship even if the nose doesn't completely even out color wise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I don't know how to change color, but have heard that eating out of a plastic bowl can sometimes lighten the color on a dog's nose.

Wish I could remember where I read it, so I could give you a reference.

Anyway, he is truly adorable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can't believe I found this again. Here is link that discusses nose pigmentation. I don't know if it will help with your problem. See point #5 for the plastic bowl issue. Good Luck!

http://www.vetinfo.com/ddepigmt.html

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I also read that you should never use plastic bowls for your dogs. I bought the stainless steel bowls for mine. They make a lot more noise though. :)
Mine are in a holder and they "clink clink" together while they are eating or drinking. It drives my Husband nuts! :roll:

sandra

·
Registered
277 Posts
You've heard not to use plastic bowls because they have microscopic scratches and holes that hold in bacteria even if they are washed regularly. This bacteria count can lead to your dog getting sick. Stainless steal bowls do not trap bacteria from food and can be sanitized fully with hot water :lol:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
My Chi can not show, well he can but he will be marked down otherwise because he has a brown nose. Good luck with your Chi, and he is gorgeous! x :p

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mine has a brown nose as well apparntly this is not right i love bay jacob no matter what and i think chis look great with brown noses the judges obviously do not understand beauty!!!

·
Banned
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just to let you all know jacob has been on this stuff i got from pet shop its dry seaweed its for everything stronger bones coat etc but i thought i would try it for his nose pigmentation as its from the sea like sea kelp he has been on it for nearly two weeks now in one of his meals a day i put a sprinkle and his nose is rapidly going black only the middle is brown now am so pleased with his progress

1 - 19 of 19 Posts