Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tried some fresh lamb for the first time today but Zippy didn't seem all that thrilled with it. I mixed in a little bit of chicken back so that there would be some bone content and he gobbled those pieces right up. However, at first he just put the lamb chunks into his mouth and then dropped them onto the carpet like he didn't want them (the same thing that he did with the chicken hearts that we tried two weeks ago). This reaction to the lamb surprised me somewhat as his favorite "treat" is Natural Balance Dog Food Roll Lamb Formula. He gobbles lamb up twice every day in that form because it's what I hide his medication in. Eventually, he did end up eating all of his lamb on the plate (4 or 5 small chunks) when he thought that I was going to take the plate away!

Any thoughts on this reaction? Do you think that it was perhaps because it was a new taste that he hasn't been exposed to before? It was certainly a lot more pungent smelling than his dog food roll is. He loves beef chunks so maybe he thought that it was really odd tasting beef? I dunno. I bought a very small package of lamb for this initial taste test but there are still quite a few ounces left. Do you think that I should keep trying it with him and that he will come around to it soon? I've been wanting to try some other meats too but if he doesn't like his lamb then lord knows what he'll thing of rabbit, duck, venison, or some of the other non-traditional choices that I've been considering.

Thanks once again for any insights / opinions that you might be able to offer.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Just like kids may turn up their nose at new foods, so can our pups! :) I would do just one or two bites of the new protein mixed with an old favorite (as you did with the chicken). You can also put the lamb in the same baggy as the chicken so that it smells similar. Dogs have preferences for certain foods, just as we do. I would just introduce new foods slowly and when you know Zippy is hungry! Just go slow and I think you'll be fine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I worry too much. (Not just about my dog either!) He was much better with the lamb today. Of course. Now that I think about it, he acted the same way when we started giving liver; hesitant at first but now he doesn't give it a second thought. Don't know why I thought that other meats would be any different. Maybe I gave up on the hearts too soon as well; I'll have to give them another try, I guess.

Thanks for your always wise insights, Tracy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts