Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I've had my first dog, 3 year old rescue toy chi for almost 2 months now, and the only thing he ever plays around with is a bully stick (which was recommended to me to get from here for his dental health, thanks!) and he refuses other things. I've bought all sorts of toys, chewable, dog rope, ball, stuffed. I don't think he knows how to play with them. I tried putting peanut butter on some of the chewable toys but he leaves after he licks it off lol. Anyway, my dogs really playful and it'd be nice if he had a toy he could mess around with during those times I can't oblige him.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Take him to Petsmart, if there is one in your area, you can take him in and play around with some of the toys there that way you know if he likes it before your buy it. You can also try the ones that you put the treat inside of it. Its a ball and you put the treats in it and as they try to get it out tbey have to roll it around. That should keep him busy for a little while.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
You say he is playful, how does he like to play? Shop bought toys aren't really necessary, the secret is finding something that fits with their preferred method of playing!
Bambi likes things she can carry and toss in the air, my velcro rollers and toilet roll inners are ideal for this. Harley likes to shake and tug, so he has rope toys, and knotted rags, he also likes my tights, so I give him my old ones to play with. They both like little fluffy toys (mostly human ones) and scrunched up balls of paper keep them busy too. They have tons of bought toys that they totally ignore, neither like to chew (unless its edible :))

·
Registered
786 Posts
I highly suggest the Busy Buddy Bristle Bone. It has rawhide in the toy and encourages the pup to continue chewing the toy.

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
My Roxy was never a fan of toys either. She would rather lay in a lap. Zoey just love toys but her favorite is a sock

1 - 5 of 5 Posts