Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2 year old little girl who we mated for the first time 57 days ago,(tied twice with a proven stud) she hasnt gained any weight and her ribs seem slightly wider but nothing major, she doesnt have a tummy but her nipples are a little longer but no milk, I didnt think she was pregnant but now im not sure ,
For the last couple of days she has been crying and whinning at higher pitch noises like the kids musical toys etc she wont leave me alone and is very clingy (has been the whole time) She has also been nesting today and digging, and is nasty with my other dogs if they come near a toy that she is carrying round,I cannot leave her at night as she cries as soon as she is shut up for bed,
Now my question is does this sound like a phantom or is she really pregnant,
tried to get an ultra sound but they are booked up for 2 weeks so by then be too late
Any advice guys Sorry to come on straight away asking questions but i have never come accross this before

Hope you are all well xxx

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would guess it is a false pregnancy. A good vet can certainly palpate for fetuses, although an x-ray can count skulls/spines so you know how many to expect. I'd find another vet.

·
Banned
51 Posts
It could be a singleton if it is you are likely to need a c section as it will be very big. She's due any day now so if I was you I would get to a vets and have her x rayed (x ray will not do any damage this late in gestation as she is basically full term) to see. They should also be able to tell you whether or not the puppy is bigger than her pelvis (I will assume she has a good size pelvis if you mated het?). If it is not then you need to schedule a c section.

Did you do any progesterone testing prior to the mating or just go on when she was flagging?

She could have missed on a dog so young it's rare but does happen. It could be a false pregnancy, I would expect some colostrum by now! Has she shed her plug or had any mucus from her vulva?? What's her temperature like?

I gathered it's your first time breeding. Forums aren't always the friendliest of places where breeding is concerned. What's done is done but I hope you have researched into whelping and have a mentor and did everything for the right reasons :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
please do not talk down to me in your post Hitchi,

Iam not some no idea person who breeds their dog just for the fun of it,

Thanks for the reply but i do not need the did you do this and i assume you did that comments.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I personally would have had her scanned at 6-7 weeks gestation if I was unsure of a pregnancy. I have a bitch that has whelped each time on day 58 so timing is important. Can you feel any puppies ? If you are new to this do you know a more experienced chihuahua breeder that can have a feel for you. Try phoning around and see if any other vets will scan her for you or if there is a mobile person that can come and scan her at your home. More important than all this is DO NOT LEAVE HER unless you can be sure this is a phantom because if this is a singleton you may well need a c-section. Good Luck and please let us know how you get on x

·
Banned
51 Posts
Sorry if you thought my post was condescending I was trying to be helpful, hence the advice I gave :confused:

I am concerned that she is having a single puppy which would be up in her ribs. If so, she may not be able to start labour herself, could get uterine inertia which could inturn be fatal and as I said before if this is the case the puppy will be very big at birth and she could have problems passing it. How big is your bitch?? What's her pelvis like (how many fingers could you fit in it before mating?)

I think it's worth mentioning in any post for amateur breeders to ensure they are doing things for the right reason due to the amount of badly bred chihuahuas out there. People may see your post and think oh I'll
Breed my dog! Breeding shouldn't ever be taken lightly and should only be done to improve the breed as I'm sure you know. nothing personal but please take into consideration that people lurk on forums for information so it should always be put put there.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:)Hi yes i have 2 breeders who are great friends one is my sister in law,

They have both had a feel and cannot feel anything and today she seems back to her normal self so im very dounbtful that anything is happening in there especially with the no weight gain as well , I would of thought that even with a singleton she would of gained some weight

Thanks for all your advice thou

·
Banned
51 Posts
Not necessarily as they hide up in the ribs. With phantoms they also put on weight some not at all. Honestly I would get her xrayed to check as anything could happen, every breeders worst fear (after the obvious) is a singleton puppy, especially in chihuahuas as they are not an easy whelping breed.

When in her season was she mated (you didn't answer about progesterone testing?). If she has a big pelvis she maybe able to pass one but I wouldn't go into it blind myself too many problems happen with singletons.

Your bitches breeder should be supporting you, if you got her locally she should be able to help you find someone to scan your dog. Ultrasounds don't really help this late in pregnancy especially if they are up under the ribs but an xray would. Try get her to a vet today (Mine open on a Saturday but I'm the other end of the country)! She could start off anytime from
Now if she is!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I didn't read Hichi's post as 'degrading', I am a first timer.. and I am learning a lot. Thank you :) ..... but besides that, very interesting post.

I hope everything goes well.

Not sure where this fits in.. I was told to make sure your stud is smaller then your bitch, breed on her 9th day, always have radiographs done.

What did your vet say?

·
Banned
51 Posts
I didn't read Hichi's post as 'degrading', I am a first timer.. and I am learning a lot. Thank you :) ..... but besides that, very interesting post.

I hope everything goes well.

Not sure where this fits in.. I was told to make sure your stud is smaller then your bitch, breed on her 9th day, always have radiographs done.

What did your vet say?

Thanks I'm purely trying to educate.

The size of the stud isn't actually important but the size of the puppies he throws, his pedigree and the bitches pedigree, what's behind them etc it's important to know your dogs pedigrees inside and out. For example I could tell you how many dogs per litter on one of my girls size for 5 gens, up to 10 gens on some of her lines. I know who has thrown what where the bigger Dogs in her pedigree come from, colours, bites, temperaments, heads etc

Everyone blames size on the stud whilst it has something to do with it the bitches lines are involved also this
Colour business like throws chocolates that's rubbish... The colour is also determine by the bitch and her lines the only part that the stud provides himself is the sex of the puppies as his sperm has either the x or y chromosone!

A decent stud owner would be able to tell you about their dogs lines.. Should know their faults etc and they should always compliment the bitches (improving where she is weak etc) both dogs should have been shown and be good examples of the breed, however I don't believe all dogs need to be shown (though a stud dog imo yes), broods not necessarily although it's preceded however both dogs should be a good example of the breed!! Not just because we think our dogs are nice but a person who has been inthe breed for years (maybe judged etc)

Think about other breeds of dogs the dogs are normally bigger than the bitches with chis it's normally the heads that are a problem they hVr large heads in comparison to their bodies.

Mating depends on the individual bitch also and when they ovulate some early as early as day 5 some day 28 which is why inexperienced breeders should progesterone test as soon as their bitch flags.. Some are floosys and flag and accept throughout their heat and will miss because the breeder is inexperienced.

Ultrasounds can be done 28-35 days to determine pregnancy but are not good for head counts as they only show soft tissue.

But yes that's my pennies worth!!

OP let us know what the vet say :D

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I didn't find HiChi's post to be "talking down" to you? They gave some great advice. :)

Finding a vet to do an xray ASAP I would find extreamely important! When I thought Mari was preggo (she had an accidental tie with her second heat to my 7mo male (who wasn't neutered at the time)--she went in for an u/s at 28 days. Typically they can see pups at that time via u/s. Thankfully it didn't take. When she was bred her third heat we skipped the u/s because I was quite certain she was expecting. Instead I had an xray done at 54 days where they measured heads/pelvis & counted spines & skulls. It is very reassuring!

I know you are not just breeding w/o doing any research but the possibility of a singleton is real & can be a great risk because they get all the nutrients & are likely to be too big to pass naturally. Being as your female is showing signs of impending labor...I would DEFINITELY find a vet to xray her asap. It could realistically save your bitches life if there is one lone pup in there.

I wish you lots of luck and hope you update us when you can! Hopefully your female has a few days before whelping if she is pregnant so it will allow you enough time to get her in. :)

BTW, here is a great website if you don't already have it...they have many helpful pages (even a singleton page) about dog whelping in many different circumstances. :) Pregnancy Guide Prenatal Care, Breeding your dog

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
The first time I breed my Pomeranian just to have 1 litter then ai was going to spay her she had problems and had to have emergency c-section cost about $600.00 dollars you have to have that kind of money for a just in case. Needles so say I had her spay during the C. It not all fun when breeding. I would do lots of research first.Plus all the puppies had to be hand feed for about 3 day before mommy instinct took over. Like I said before get an x-ray they will be able to see how big puppies are and if they can pass the birth canal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts