Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently fostering 2 powderpuff chinese grested girls.
They are 4months old and have won me over like crazy...

so yeah thought id show ya a picture

"Gypsy"

"Ruby"

Aint they CUTE!?

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I LOVE chinese cresteds! (both the powder puff and hairless version lol) I'm so jealous! You lucky duck! They are soo cute!!! Are they similar to chis? How old are they? How long will you be fostering and do you think you'll keep one? Can you tell I'm excited lol :daisy:

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
They are so cute! How much do they weigh? Are you going to adopt one of them? How are they getting along with your chihuahuas?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
personality wise id say there similar to chis in that they realy make you work for it, there smart but stubborn...
they also have that similar terrier like quality that the chis have.

as a breed, aparently they vary greatly from 1 to another, even with this pair, ruby is outgoing, bouncy and loves everyone...gypsy is more dignified, reserved and warey of strangers.

they are alot of fun though.

both girls are a little over 4months old, and the general thought is gypsy *MIGHT* be staying with us (dont tell my dad lol) ruby is so much more outgoing i think shell adjust to a new home easily, but gypsy needs some socilization work.

the chis are actually doing real well with them dodger will actually be in theri presence and vixie tried to play with them this morning, this is a big step for them who dont usually like new dogs in the house...

these guys are alot of fun and if i dont end up keeping gypsy, there WILL be a crested joining my family within the next year...ive had them here a week and im already adicted!

Gypsy is currently 5.25lbs and Ruby is 7lbs, gypsy should top out around 6.5lbs and Ruby is going to be closer to 9lbs.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
They are cute! I like Gypsy a lot! They're a lot smaller than I thought they were! I'm not crazy about the hairless ones (I think they're cute & all, but something about no hair freaks me out! lol), but the powder puff ones are super cute! How long does their fur get? Right now their fur kind of reminds me of a shihtzu puppy. Will their fur stay the way it is now or end up kind of long like a shihtzu's?(I know I've got to be spelling that wrong, but for the life of me I can't remember how now! lol)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh I love these dogs. I know someone with one and she is so lovely and soft and fluffy! They are a bit like poodles with a perm growing out! :D

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
they'll pretty much always look like they are right now...show cresteds have their coat straightend

but if you just groom regularly and let them "run with it" you get that fuzzy shi-tz puppy look. some people choose to shave their puff cresteds down into a pony cut that can be close to skin or up to about an inch long if you dont like the naked look, but like the "pony" look and dont want the puff upkeep. there lowshedding and good for those with allergies but their coats especially as pups are fluffy and fine and get tangled easy. it takes me 15 mins in the morning to give them both a quick brush out, as long as you keep ontop of it your fine. the only shaving ive done on these guys is their muzzle, when left natural they have the benji beared teddy face look.

breed standard calls for 11-13 inch fine bones dog so they tend to be built almost like a sight hound (my dad says gypsy reminds him of a tiny afghan hound) so while there not much heaivier than chis they tend to be taller...
from what im told 8-10lbs is a good show weight, most are between 8-15lbs full grown

ive always admired cresteds (both hairless and puff, though il admit i prefer very hairy hairless or puffies best) but never owned one before...and these 2 girls have just won me over...

ive decided my pack will now always have at least 1 chi and at least one crestie!

the ones you see on the worlds ugliest dog are usually true hairless (meaning little to no hair) or hairless (just hiar on the crest and mabe some whisps elsewhere) the ones you see in the showring are usually VERY hairy hairless, they are the ones with the full crests and luxurious tail plooms and socks, but they often have hair ging down their back and sided too which gets shaved off for the ring.
id love a very hairy hairless in the future as a possible show dog.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
foxywench said:
Gypsy is currently 5.25lbs and Ruby is 7lbs, gypsy should top out around 6.5lbs and Ruby is going to be closer to 9lbs.

For some reason they looked bigger in the photos (probably from all their hair). I didn't realize how small they are and how small they'll stay. They are so adorable.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Mia's breeder has two Chinese cresteds, Prince and Loki ;)
They were very friendly!! Their hair was coarse- is that common or was it just these two?

·
Registered
877 Posts
They are very beautiful! I like chinese cresteds.
I prefer the very hairy hairless too. They remind me of tiny 'horses' lol
I hope you get to keep one. :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
This is my friend's Powderpuff, Laban. He's about 5 months old in these pictures. The dark colored fur changes to a golden color as he ages. Their coats really change! The fur is fine and it's a lot of work to keep it from getting tangled. I guess when they reach a year, the fur is a bit easier to manage.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
laban is adorable!
hes got a gorgoeus coat, im hoping these girls fill out a little more on their tails, legs and creat over the next month or so.

they realy do weedle their way into your heart real quickly!
some of the males can have a coarser hair as they get older, they have a soft undercoat and then silky guard hairs over the top, some of those silkies get a little coarse

1 - 16 of 16 Posts