Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chico and I always go to Petco and Petsmart on some weekends as a special event :) He loves meeting the people but is alittle taken aback with the doggies. He has always been more comfortable around the people than dogs, although he never snarls or growls/barks at them-he just keeps walking...lol...

well about 4 weeks ago we went to Petco and then headed to Petsmart... after shopping/walking the store for 15 mins I decided we should head out... I felt a tug on his leash when I got closer to the cash register and looked back at him and TO MY HORROR... he was all hunched over taking a 'dump' on the floor...
right in front of everyone!! I was SOOOO embarrassed and the poor cashier came out to clean it up for me... I almost ran out of that store that day... and Chico was all like "man, that was fun! Lets do that again!" tail a-wagging....

fast forward to last weekend.... same thing... PetSmart.... only it was further in the store not right up front by the cashiers.... I swear, I think he is trying to tell me something about PetSmart....lol

I walk him b4 I take him to these places but seems something triggers him lately at PetSmart....

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
LOL! Tango has occasionally done that. I'm thankful PetsMart has those clean-up stations around the store.

Really, it's not surprising. The dogs must be completely overwhelmed with the smells coming from the floor. None of the accidents that happen are cleaned up with any kind of enzymatic cleaner, so the odors have to be almost irresistible for a dog to follow suit, and pee or poop where they can smell others have gone. Frankly, I'm surprised Tango and Jazz don't go every time we go there. They don't, it's only happened once or twice that I can recall.

Funny though, to watch Tango walk into the store. Enroute he walks on a median between the parking spaces which has bushes every couple feet. I swear he stops and lifts his leg on EVERY SINGLE ONE! I simply cannot believe a tiny little 3 1/2 pound dog can have that much pee in him! Especially considering that I make sure he goes before we leave! And even funnier that at home, he NEVER lifts his leg. He just squats to pee.

Don't be embarrassed Jan. The staff deal with this kind of thing every single day, numerous times a day. Our dogs are so low to the ground that they have to pick up WAY more smells than, say, a German Shepherd does. No wonder they occasionally have an accident!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I think that's pretty normal. When a dog gets excited, scared, whatever, he may have to poop, even though he's very well potty trained. I always watch my two very closely and try to have clean up materials at hand. I took Cosmo and Lavender to my sister's house, the first time Lavender had been there, and she pooped almost as soon as I put her down, right beside the potty pad. She was excited and maybe a little scared and she didn't quite make it to the potty pad. I didn't do anything except move her gently onto the pad and quietly told her, "No, Lavender, get on the paper." I'm sure your dog isn't the first one to pee or poop at PetSmart ... :eek:) ... they probably get quite a lot of that and there are lots and lots of interesting smells there.

Jeanette

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Hahaha awwww poor Chico, he just had to potty mom! My guys are USUALLY ok but if someone has an accident its almost always Laurel (go freakin figure, the best potty trained one). There was one day I took Oakley and Trigger and both peed in the store...and pooped. So dont feel bad, you are not alone!

·
Registered
244 Posts
just be happy hes not a great dane!!! lmao!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Oh Jan i would have been embarassed as well,naughty boy.I suppose another dog could have done it there and he could smell it or maybe the cashier smelled and he thought it was the right thing to do.So funny

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I feel ya. Last week, I took Gonzo and Pepper in to get their nails trimmed and Gonzo, my one dog that is allowed the run of the house because he is so potty trained, peed on a display. It was embarrassing, I just wanted to tell the 7 people that saw him do it, well, he IS potty trained at home...

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Poop all ya want, Chico! You are "The Man!" :D A little poop never hurt anyone. : ) I think at Petsmart, a lil poop and pee is to be expected. I'm forever dodging pee puddles when I go in there! :lol:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
My daughter and I were standing in line at Petsmart with her toy poodle to get his picture made with Santa. Santa was ready for him, and when she tugged his leash to move forward with him, Baxter did the same thing! Santa never even blinked!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
With Pippi, she has to be carried in pet stores - Otherwise no matter what she will pee on the floor! Even if shes just put down for 30 seconds while I pay or try something on her, she will pee.

Maisie on the other hand is a complete angel - She has never pee'd or pooped in any pet store, even when walking past "fresh" pee or poop on the floor (It was a very bad shop.... never been back in since!). I have no idea why they're so different, but I can only assume its down to Pips past

·
Registered
125 Posts
The last time that we were at Petco Zippy pooped in the middle of the aisle in the dog food area. Plus, on the day that we adopted him, he peed on my shoe while shopping in the same store. A little embarrassing, I guess, but completely to be expected because of all of the dogs/smells that walk through that place on a daily basis. It happens all of the time there and the staff is pretty cool about it so I wouldn't worry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts