Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all when we bought poppy the breeder gave us some of her food
it is Eukanuba puppy i havent used this food before my other dogs eat iams
is Eukanuba a good food to feed her as i would like her to have the best for her my other dogs are big ones so im also not sure on how much she should be eating she dont seem to eat much at all but then my other dogs are 10stone and 10 1/2 stone so it wouldant seem much up against them they may be bigger than her but she is the boss

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hi welcome neither eukanuba or aims are good quality foods there are far more out there

If you want to stick with kibble type food then orijen and acana are probably the best way to go

Even better than that you could go to a dehydrated raw which is species appropriate like ziwipeak you will feed less of this as there are no waste products in it (ie no grains)

Even better you could feed a raw diet which is what a lot of us do here!!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Honey is now strictly on raw, uncooked beef and lamb, hubby separated it all for me tonight into small freezer bags, in meal size. I just hate raw meat so I couldnt do it. She was until tonight, on cooked meat and vegies. But we made the switch tonight. All the meat is very lean, so it will help honey on her weight loss diet :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
hi all when we bought poppy the breeder gave us some of her food
it is Eukanuba puppy i havent used this food before my other dogs eat iams
is Eukanuba a good food to feed her as i would like her to have the best for her my other dogs are big ones so im also not sure on how much she should be eating she dont seem to eat much at all but then my other dogs are 10stone and 10 1/2 stone so it wouldant seem much up against them they may be bigger than her but she is the boss
Eukanuba and Iams are very low quality foods. Go to dogfoodanalysis.com and check out some premium foods. Orijen and Acana are good kibbles that I know you can get in the UK. You could also do ZiwiPeak for your Chi. It's expensive but an excellent food.

Honey is now strictly on raw, uncooked beef and lamb, hubby separated it all for me tonight into small freezer bags, in meal size. I just hate raw meat so I couldnt do it. She was until tonight, on cooked meat and vegies. But we made the switch tonight. All the meat is very lean, so it will help honey on her weight loss diet :)
Just following up on Sarah's (DaisyDoo) post - Honey isn't on just raw meat, is she? If so - that is NOT balanced in the least. She must have organs and also edible bone or she will be missing out on vitamins/minerals and especially calcium. The ratios of a raw diet MUST be followed or you are better off doing kibble. It is 80% meat (most people start with bone-in chicken or cornish hens), 10% bone, and 10% organs with 5% of that being liver. Please do some research before jumping into a raw diet.

Also, lean meats aren't always better! Dogs process fat as energy. It is also part of the diet and needed. If you are wanting some of the benefits of a raw diet, but aren't sure how to do it, either do some research - or else find a good pre-made and use raw that way. But I can't emphasize enough.... beef and lamb or any other meat you decide to use, by itself, is NOT a balanced diet and you could run into serious illness and deficiencies by feeding that alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts