Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the lady from the shelter called today. She said they'd be willing to let us adopt the chi I've been looking at BUT she has issues. She is on heart medication after being treated for heartworm and needs dental work done, her teeth are "really bad". The lady also said they had another chi with a heart murmer, but not quite as many dental issues.

I am unsure what to do at this point. I'm sure the dental stuff could be fixed in one go for a few hundred dollars, but what about the heart stuff? I don't want to bring this poor girl home and give her a heart attack with my puppy and children. They are great with small dogs, but they are children and like to run and yell.

I would hate to bring this chi home only to have her suffer in my home, but I am really attached to her as well. Does anyone have experience with heart conditions? What type of care is involved and what extra would she need from me? If I decide to go ahead I want to be as prepared as possible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have had no experience with heart worms, but i know the drug they use to kill the worms are really stressful on the heart and that it takes awhile for the heart to return to full streagth. i know the medicine makes them weak but i don't think i've heard about them having heart attacks when brought home. talk with a vet and see how serious and how permanent (if permanent at all) her problems will be. the dental work should be the easy fix. and differnt vets have different prices so i would shop around. but i definently wouldn't not adopt this dog because of "what ifs". your home is way better than what she has now and what's she had in the past. i say go for it :)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called back and said I want to meet her and her sister. Hopefully they call tomorrow and I can go see them! I'm still researching the heartworm stuff though.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
God Bless you for taking this chi into your life! I'm sure you could give this chi a better & healthy life that may help her heart issues. I can tell you've already made up your mind and I would get her if I was you. How old is the chi?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure how old, they said "young". I'm guessing a year or two. I need to ask a few follow up questions for sure!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts