Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not nor do I desire to breed Princess. She is almost 2lbs and about 5 and half months old. I would like to have her spayed but am having a hard time finding a vet who will do it since she is so small. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it really that dangerous for her to have surgery? I would think the risks were higher for mating and pregnancy. She is never out of my site, however I know that accidents happen. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. you can IM me at yahoo or leave me a message here or just respond to the thread what ever way u all prefer. Thanks ahead of time.

P.S. How do I apply one of those cute pictures to the bottom of my posts like all you have done?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hi
Sorry I can't help you with the spaying. I'm sure someone else will.
The pics at the bottom are signatures. You can make one yourself (just need a photobucket account or some other photo hosting account)
You can ask someone else (from this forum) to make you one but you need atleast 75 posts (It explains about that in the rules on the home page)
xx

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I don't understand how they can say too small when my (from years ago) two guinea pigs were spayed and all was fine

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hmmm, this one is baffling me. My Lucy was three pounds and I guess one pound is a lot in Chi terms... I don't know where you are located, but here in the US they have several different Vet sites where you can contact a board certified surgeon in your area. You may want to check through a site like this one below and just see if they can point you in the right direction. I don't think I have ever heard of having a dog too small to spay, but maybe it is a higher risk..

http://www.acvs.org/

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think spaying is very dangerous for this young (because I think she's too young) puppy..
The hormons standard won't be in right and that will be very veeery serious problem with health.. As You know the hormons are regulating all works which organism do, and spaying in youth can (and will!) destroy all harmony of organism, and it will be start health problems. Very serious health problems.
This applies to all young pets, even guinea pigs.
Why would You like to spay her that early?..
I'm suggesting spaying she when she'll be 1 year old. Not earlier!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't know if 5 and a half months is too early... I went back and checked and we got Lucy on 2/14 last year. She was 7 weeks old. After checking my bank account, I paid for her spaying on 5/20. So that looks to be about the same time I had Lucy done and she is fine. I think she was a little bigger in size, though. Even now after she has been spayed for this length of time, she is only 3.5 pounds.

I think the OP should ask her Vet what they think the issue is with spaying her and then go from there. I think that finding a good vet that knows your pet is important, but also that you can trust as well. Each dog is different, and there may be another reason why they won't do it. But I don't think age has anything to do with it, I think it is more based on weight and size in this situation.

But as another poster said, she had her guinea pigs spayed... so who knows.

Oh, and let me add that they are recommending that I neuter Ricky at 6 months, because he is male he can wait a little longer and also because of size. He was 2 pounds the last time I had him in, and he goes in Tuesday for another round of puppy shots. We got him Dec 5th and he was 6 weeks old then. So he is about 4 months now.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
My vets has two surgery's one is small and deals with general illnesses whereas the other deals with operations etc.

The vet at the smaller practice refused to neuter Jake saying he needs to be a lot older and the last time he said that Jake was about 6 months old.

When Jake was around 7 months old I took him to the bigger surgery and when I mentioned getting him neutered then booked him straight in.. So yeah it definately depends on the vet.

As for 5 1/2 months I don't know if that is too young or not.

·
Registered
12 Posts
But let me say - maybe You can't see differents in dog's behaviour, but the organs are not ready to put them out!
Spaying is I think the most horrible thing which we can do for young organism..
We cannot see effects in behaviour and maybe we cannot see that at all, but the hormon's 'economy' (I don't know how to say it right ;)) will be broken! Maybe we'll see it now, or maybe for some years, but I guaranted You that Your dogs will have broken organism and (what's the effect) dog will be die earlier.. :(
I suggest spaying after first rut. That'll be okay for the organism more than in 6months old..
Why do You want to spay that early - I gave You a question..? :(

·
Registered
161 Posts
Pinkie, if you are speaking to me, then I will be happy to answer your question.

I chose to spay my chi instead of breeding her, even if it was for one litter, because we have enough homeless pets in the world. Thousands of pets die because they are unwanted. Yes, I could have bred her once, and probably could have found homes for them. But honestly, that wasn't why I got her. I have never in my life time allowed a cat or dog to have a litter in my home. And I will not start now. And honestly, there is nothing you can tell me that will change my mind.

I went by my vet's advice, and I have been using him for years, for multiple pets. And I will continue to follow the advice of vets when it comes to the health of my pets. They care for hundreds, if not thousands of pets a year. And this vet is a father/son office, and I trust them.

I have always spayed and neutered my pets in the first 5 to 7 months of their lives, and I have never seen any problems with it.

So this is the answer to your question.

The original poster's first sentence said that she has absolutely no desire to breed her dog. I don't see any thing wrong with asking a question about when to spay or neuter a pet, or how much they should weigh.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion on when it should happen, but I will listen to a vet, and I will encourage all others to listen to their vets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm not saying that spaying is something wrong, You've got me wrong!
I said that young pets will have problems with their organism just because female have to have the first rut and after that we can spay she.
I'm not suggesting to not spay. I know about unwanted dogs, cats and other pets, but if we want to spay our dog we should do this after first rut, or at all - after 1 year old I think.
Because as I said - the hormons are veery important, and spaying before hormons standart will be okay is prohibited !
And again - don't get me wrong - I'm suggesting spaying for 'not-breeded' pets, but I'm suggesting done this after first rut (blooding, in Polish it's called 'cieczka' or 'ruja' I checked in dictionary and this means 'rut' in English), not when the male/female is 5 months old, because the pet is too young to doing this. If You've learned biology You should know about the hormons role in organism.. When we spay female too early that will be problems later.
Sorry about my English, maybe it's some kind of barrier. :)

p.s:
Check the information about the hormons.
I don't know anything about American's vets and practises, but I know something about simple phisiology of organism and maybe You can't see effects now, but pet spayed about 5mths will be smaller, less healthier and at all - it'll be die earlier. I don't know where I read it but somewhere in net and after that in dog magazine. Maybe in USA it's allowed, but in Poland and lot of European Countries it isn't. Because of pet's health after.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Pinkie, I have heard both theories on when to spay, one before their first season (rut) and one that says to wait until after. Some of mine have been done before, some after depending on when I got them. If I have had them from puppyhood, then it is usually before, if they find me after they have matured, it is after. I personally have seen no differences in heath or how long the dog lives after. I do usually wait until they are at least 6 months old, but that is my own preference.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Most people here have said 6 months for spaying.
I will be asking my vet and do what he suggests for Darla.
A lot of knowledgable people here though, that have had chi's for many years and i am sure they wouldnt spay too early.
Having it done early decreases the chances of mamary cancer too.

My Daisy has to wait for a while because she had complications after a c section, i got her older and she had just had a litter.
My vet said the scar tissue could be a problem so he suggested waiting a year to see how she is.
I dont want to lose her early to cancer so i hope she is able to be spayed.
Having them spayed as soon as safe is the best thing to do for your girls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was not looking to spay now, I was thinking in April when she was 6 months old. I have since found a really good doctor in the next county over who said he will do it but since she is so tiny (not quite 2lbs.) he would like to see her wait until October when she is a year old. I think I can live with that, after all her safety is one of my biggest concerns.

Heather
Mommy of 4 2 legged babies, 6 fur babies
Loving army wife & Pampered Chef Consultant
Aspiring Novelist

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I'll be having Daisy spayed.. My vet said she should have her first season and then he'll spay her.. apparently thats around 6 months.. so will get her done once thats all over and done with!!!

I assume because of size and stuff they just adapt the amount of anasthetic.. the same as they do for humans who are underweight that just give you less.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Wow! All these differences of opinion from Vets is really mind boggling to me! Well, I'll just add my experience to the discussion and mix it up even more lol!

Tango was neutered at 8 months, and he was 2lbs 4 ozs. Jazz was spayed at 5 months and she was 2 lbs 12 ozs. My vet, in both cases, did the surgery based on age, not weight. She would have recommended Tango to be neutered earlier, but I didn't rescue him till he was 7 months old, and he had some health issues that we had to get under control first.

My vet waits as long as possible to do the surgery. The internal organs of dogs continue to mature after birth, and the major hormones and chemicals that contribute to that maturation process are tied in to the reproductive organs. So of course you want to allow that process room to evolve. At the same time, waiting till a bitch goes into heat brings with it a host of other potential problems, short and long term, or waiting till a male's testicles drop all the way and marking and other dominance problems become an issue. A balance needs to be found that works in the best overall interest of the dog.

My Vet waits till the last possible moment to spay or neuter, before the first heat for females and before marking begins for males, to give the best possible advantages to the maturation process, but also to reduce or eliminate other health risks by waiting too long. She's also experienced in small animal surgery, so the size of the dogs isn't an issue with her. When you've done castrations on rats, and hysterectomies on hamsters, a chi looks pretty big by comparison!

And typically the surgery itself, while delicate due to the size of the organs, isn't as potentially problematic as the anesthetic. That's where more complications can occur if they're going to, and where more monitoring is usually required. But then again, anesthesia is a delicate balance when doing surgery on ANY animal large or small, or any human for that matter, but necessary if surgery is going to be needed.

I think perhaps the Vets who suggest or insist on waiting till the dogs are older, some of them at least, might possibly have little experience on doing surgery on dogs that small, so are attempting to reduce the potential for problems because of their own limited experience? Just a guess, but it would make sense. Any Vet worth their salt wants to do the responsible thing, and that might just be their way.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I agree size shouldnt make a difference. I am glad my vet doesnt spay before the first season though. Heidi has put on half a pound from 6 to 7mths( which is probably what triggered her season). Im not sure how it may have affected her growth if she was neutered at 6mths regardless. Im glad I waited, even though she is now driving me nuts doing her little sexy dance for Adam!!:rolleyes:, despite a sligth increased risk of pyometra.

IMO I think I would wait til after one season for a tiny Chi as then you could be sure they had acheived their full growth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts