Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so there's a couple of things recently that have upset me in my search for a puppy.

I'm hoping that when I view a litter, there'll be at least 2 girls (being as I definitely want a girl), so that I can compare them. I don't mean just looks, I mean how they behave etc. When I said this to a local chi-owner, she told me that a big litter means the puppies will grow into large adults. She said if there's only one or two pups, then it means the mother was small. If there's four or more pups, the mother was big and the pups will be big.

Well I know there's more to it than that, but is there any truth in this? I thought a big litter sounded great - more to choose from - but she's scared me.

Also, a chi breeder told me that smoothcoat chi's are more like terriers in personality and not as cuddly as the longcoats. Is this true? I want to get a sc but I definitely want a cuddly lap dog. So this has also scared me. It sounds a bit dodgy to me, but this is a kennel club accredited breeder, so surely she should know her stuff? Is it because to achieve the lc the dogs became more domesticated?

Please tell me your experiences and knowledge!

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
lol wow

the coat has NOTHING to do with if they will be "cuddly"

The litter size is a lie too .. Bleu my female her mom was 7lbs (fat) and she had 8 pups!
Bleu is like 4-5lbs and every pup i sold from that litter is like 4-5 range , there is one pup that ended up being 6-7lbs lol i just think his mom goes over board with the treats

Bleu just had a litter and she had 3 pups .. so far the 2nd BIGGEST one in the litter is now looking to become the smallest.. so i think the chis' background has alot to do with it . you can have a larger female that throws small pups (happen to me ) but it's always good to look at the females past puppies as adults then you can get an idea

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree there, Jadzia's mom is closer to 6 pounds and had 4 pups in the litter and Jadzia is just under 5 pounds. Kira's mom is under 5 pounds had 4 pups in the litter and Kira is just over 6 pounds at 10 months old.
Pixie (Kira's full sister from a different litter) is 4 pounds and from a litter of 2 or 3.

These two moms have some larger and some smaller.
There could be larger or smaller grandparents genes could that influence the size of the pups to.

My girls are short coat and just as cuddly as can be. Jadzia has a more wound up hyper/always on the move personality while Kira is just the opposite and as layed back as can be.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Sounds like crap to me. I have a SC and two LCs. No difference. And Bizkit does NOT act like a terrier.
Sounds like she's full of old wive's tales. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Coat length really has nothing to do with temperment. EVERY dog is different. Number of puppies only has to do with birth weight (which tells you nothing about adult weight usually). If it is a big litter you're more apt to have smaller puppies at birth. 1-2 puppies means they've been getting all the nutrients & are apt to be larger at birth. Again, having little/nothing to do with adult weight.

Mari is 4.5lbs & had a litter of 3 in Jan. Her mom is a fair bit bigger than she (6-7lbs but quite a bit taller - just thin framed like Maya, who is Mari's littermate). But still, Mari & Maya's moms biggest litter consisted of 4 puppies. Mari's 3 puppies were between 3.1-3.6oz at birth & two are 2lbs at 11 weeks & one is 1.5lbs. None of them will be as big as Mari's mum but the stud was also from smaller lines.

Anyway, the breeder you are looking at should be familiar with the size that runs in the lines. The older the pup...the more accurate the guess of adult size will get. We could have ended up with larger puppies since their grandma was a bit bigger but I don't see Mari's boys getting bigger than 5-5.5lbs if that since they're quite pudgey at the moment.

ALL of my Chi's are cuddley and 5 are SC. My only LC is just as cuddley so that "theory" doesn't work at all for my pups. But like I said...it depends on the dog. :)

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Coat length is nothing to do with personality at all, Rocky is such a snuggler, he has to be touching you, if not on your lap he is at your side touching all the time!

Also I noticed how you said you definately want a girl, so did I, I had my heart set on a cream girl and was gonna called her Roxy. I ended up with a boy called Rocky lol and an more than happy with him. Just a thought!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
You have been told some crazy things, I have two Smooth Coats and they are so loving, they love being cuddled and being able to snuggle up to ya. Coat length makes no difference at all to temperament.

Puppy size relative to adult size, I was once told the more pups there are in a litter the less each pup will weigh at birth which seems logical but this does not mean they will weigh less at their adult weight. They are more likely to not be big dogs but there is nothing to say they won't.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay well that's a relief! It was really getting me upset, and now I won't worry anymore. Thank you!

And Heather, thanks for such a clear explanation about the litter size and puppy/adult weights, that's very helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts