Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a phone call at work today from my boyfriends mum to say Zola was pooing out blood and didn't look well. She said she was going to take him to the emergancy vet and she would pick me up on the way. I broke down at work and told them I HAD to leave... If they said no I'd have walked anyway... So when I got in the car he seemed really warm and I was freaking out. We got him to the vet who said he has a very bad grassy tummy and that he maybe allectic to something, have a bug or more than like its the food. AGAIN. SO just when I thought I had found the one. She said dog food is still to rich for him so he's not alloud to eat for a day (he has sugar and salty water stuff she gave me instead) then tomorrow he has to start eating proper fresh ooked chicken. He has to go for a check up again on Monday. He also got this other thing to take with his to be put in his mouth once a day and he got a jab. I;m so glad he is ok now. I didn;t think he was going to make it when I heard and I felt so bad for not being there.. Oh and the vet bill. they charged me £110.00. £80.00 for which was just to even glance at him. Becuz it was a Saturday... madness. I would have paid any amount of money or given my own life for him to be ok. Im just so glad. I hope something like this NEVER happens to me again. Phew!

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Vicky , so sorry to hear this :( bless him your little man :(

SO GLAD he is ok :):) :) has the vet any ideas why he can't cope with 'dog food ' , why he is so delicate ?
You must have been so worried :(

Give the 'little man' an extra hug from me {{{hugs}}}

sara :wave:

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Wow poor Zola and you too! That must have been so scary! I'm glad he is feeling better though. :wink:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank all you guys. The vet didnt know. She seemed to think he just has an overly sensive tummy so he needs really bland food like chicken. I have to take him back on Monday and depending on what the vet says he may have to get scans. He just had some more med and seems fine. He's still hyper and crazy so he's a fighter

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
How scary!! I'm glad he's okay ... that's a terrifying thing to have happen though, especially if you're not there. Cooper and I send our best wishes to little Zola and hope his new chicken diet makes everything better.

And we send his mom our best wishes as well and hope she recovers from the fright and the vet bill. :D

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
What an awful thing for you to go through! I'm sure Zola will be just fine, really. It's just a matter of finding the right food. Lily has a very sensitive tummy and she was on Prescription Diet Canine I/D (I think that's the name) for about a year. Never had another upset tummy the whole time she was on it.

I know what you mean about the vet bill... emergency charges can be mind boggling but he's your little boy and you had no choice. :)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will defo keep you all posted. The vet said its just his body getting the nutrious? out of his body. Something like that. They didnt seem to think it was anything to serious. New what is was as soon as they looked at it, as we had a sample

He was just doing his crazy zoomies, I think he's happy to be ok to :lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Both Chili and Johuahua have a food allergy and have to eat a bland diet, which consists of a prescription dog food. (Hill brand ZD Ultra). I can't even give Chili boiled chicken as he will throw it up. Forunately they like the food. The bad thing about their diet is that I can't give them treats :cry: Also, Chili has a skin allergy that is linked to the food so I have to give him an antihistamine (hyrdoxizine) each day to take care of that.

Dogs that have food allergies normally have a reaction to beef protein and wheat gluten, which is why they have to be switched to chicken (ZD Ultra is made of chicken, but it's formulated differently). Fortunately Hills Brand (the makers of Science Diet) make ZD and numerous other prescription dog foods for various conditions.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
zwvirtual said:
Both Chili and Johuahua have a food allergy and have to eat a bland diet, which consists of a prescription dog food. (Hill brand ZD Ultra). I can't even give Chili boiled chicken as he will throw it up. Forunately they like the food. The bad thing about their diet is that I can't give them treats :cry: Also, Chili has a skin allergy that is linked to the food so I have to give him an antihistamine (hyrdoxizine) each day to take care of that.

Dogs that have food allergies normally have a reaction to beef protein and wheat gluten, which is why they have to be switched to chicken (ZD Ultra is made of chicken, but it's formulated differently). Fortunately Hills Brand (the makers of Science Diet) make ZD and numerous other prescription dog foods for various conditions.
the z/d has chicken protien but it is broken down so much the body doesn't recognize it as chicken. IVD (which has come together with roayl canin) make a bunch of allergy foods. the one i seen a lot of success with is the fish and potato. they are also limited ingredient diets as well as allergy diets. my german shorthair pointer had food allergies on top of irritable bowel disease and the only food she did great on was the fish from IVD (and also pro plans sensitive skin sensitive stomch formula it was fish based)

i'm wondering if zola has IBD??? has the dr mentioned that? there has to be a reason why he can't stomach much....... what tests ahve been done to see if there are underlying causes for this?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I'm so sorry How scary I am glad Zola is feeling better and i hope they can come up with something to help his stomach problem soon :wave:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
luv4mygirls. I have no idea about IBD. I'll defo mention that to the vet tho. Ill be going tomorrow or Tuesday. He's not had any tests or scans done. They take his temp up the bum and have a good feel of his belly. Look at his teeth and eyes and thats about it.Ill ask about getting scans done to and see what he says

1 - 19 of 19 Posts