Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K so about Nutri-cal...do you guys give it to your chis with their food, or at the same time. or do you give it to them at different times of the day when they aren't eating..!?

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
When I first got Sandy, she would sleep until 11 AM.
The vet told me to give her NutraCal when I got up in the morning, and I could give her a strip about an inch long 3 times a day.
What actually ended up happening is I would give her the NutraCal first thing, then she would eat some kibble, and was fine the rest of the day.

I didn't have to do that with Koke because she was a little piglet that ate constantly LOL. She doesn't eat that much anymore though.

Now I only use it to give them pills or after liquid medicine if the medicine tastes nasty.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
hnj22 said:
I keep it on hand for when Corky won't eat or if he was to get hypoglycemic and needed to get his blood sugar up. I haven't ever just fed it to him.....
same here :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
KB mamma said:
hnj22 said:
I keep it on hand for when Corky won't eat or if he was to get hypoglycemic and needed to get his blood sugar up. I haven't ever just fed it to him.....
same here :)
Me too. I was under the impression that it is not to be fed in addition to regular food, but rather as a supplement when they are sick or not eating well. I gave it to Jazzy a few times when she was a small puppy, and then again recently when she had a 5 day bout with diarrhea.

I don't think it was meant to be used on a regular basis.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
The breeder I got Auggie from gave me a tube and told me to give him about an inch squirt everyday for about a month and then only if he wasn't eating or seemed lethargic. I did and he never had any problem but of course I don't know whether he would have without it. He has never been much of a morning eater so I always felt like it was a good thing :roll:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
i agree nutrical is a high calory supliment to use for boosting your puppies blood glucose level if it was to ever suffer hypoglycemia or stops eating.
id say for any puppy under 12 weeks give a little everyday but after 12 weeks you shouldnt need it as an addition to regular food as it will VERY quickly increase your babies weight and cause weight problmes. after 12 weeks keep nutrical on hand in case of emergency but otherwise it shouldnt be a dietary staple...
hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I gave about a pea-sized drop to each of my girls until they were about 6 months old just for maitenence...I was so worried about the sugar levels dropping. The vet told me this was find...the amount wouldnt increase their weight and it would give them a little boost

As adults they really dont need it unless they are not eating. Its great to have on hand for emergencies. So pretty much I agree with everyone else :wink:

·
Registered
487 Posts
the breeder had told me to give Sammy an inch full morning and night to help stimulate her appetite. She really loved it and I probably gave her too much. I realized that it's not good for the teeth either because just like pediasure for children, it's full of sugar and can rot their teeth.

So now I am not using nutri-cal anymore bc sammy's been eating just fine without it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you guys! Sullys eight weeks so I'll just kinda play it by ear and maybe give him a little every once in a while for a while longer... But hes starting to get really good about eating more. Thank you!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts