Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear so much about nutrical & was wondering if I should be giving it to Midgie. Although she is healthy & doesn't seem vitamin deficient, seems like she could benefit from it. Should I keep some on hand and if so, what's the best form to buy (pill, powder, etc.). Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
Nutrical is a paste.. It comes in an orange tube. I bought mine from Petco but you can get it online. I have it on hand in case of Hypoglycemia.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Nutrical is great for puppies less than 2 pounds that are at risk for low blood sugar. It's a syrup in a tube with some vitamins. I wouldn't give it to adult dogs.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
You don't need to give any to Midgie. It's sole purpose is to provide a pup with
some sugar when blood sugar is low and there is risk of hypoglycemia.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I got out the tube of Nutrical we got from the vet when we brought Gidget home to read on it. It says high calorie nutritional supplement--concentrated source of vitamins and minerals--provides energy for dogs and cats. It says provides and added source of energy for hunting and working dogs. It contains Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids and misc. other vit. and minerals. IMO if my adult chi was more than 3 lbs I would find a different source of vitamins and mineral such as Nupro or Missing Link, which I think you use, before I would use Nutrical for Midgie. I'm afraid it would just put unnecessary weight on her. I could be wrong--I'm anxious to see what others say.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I keep it on hand...for the adult furbabies too. I have one or two that have issues with food every now and again. When you have a 2lber that refuses to eat occasionally, it's an essential. Along with baby food, instant rice, and pedialyte...:)

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I keep some just in case Toby has tummy trouble or just doesn't want to eat. I get nervous, so I'll give him a teeny, tiny bit if he needs it. I haven't had to use it yet, thank goodness.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
When I first got Bonnie, I gave her some product that PetSmart said was the equivilent of Nutri-Cal. Well the puppy actually hated the taste. Wouldn't lick it. When the adult sheltie came over and wanted to lick it off the tube, I let her. This dog likes anything! Well she licked, and immediately made a horrible face trying to spit it out. I finally made some pedialyte sol'n mixed wih honey and that did the job just fine.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yeah it basically is really just straight sugar. I have it on hand for puppies if they aren't eating super well. There are much better supplements that are actually beneficial you can give to an adult like Nupro or Missing Link.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I buy mine in a livestock and pet co-op.

I've been giving it to Diesel now for over a month, simply because he is so skinny and has a clean bill of health. He's a whopping 2 lbs 12 ozs, and I can feel every disc in his spine. The vet says he's just a little one, and not to worry so much, but I am a worrier, and the other dogs get kinda rough with him now and then, so I'd like to see him a little sturdier. (He just turned 1.)

The vet said Nutrical might help, and he has put on a few ounces, but I'm not sure whether it is the Nutrical or the fact that he has just decided to eat more.

Really, the only thing I wanted to add is that our vet told us that if we started it daily, not to remove him from it abruptly because of the super high sugar content. He said to reduce the dosage and more or less wean him off of it.

And, it is also supposed to be really good for a female close to whelping time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts