Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two get most of their bone from chicken. I am finding it harder to get pork ribs, which was their other source of bone. So my question is, is there any difference nutritionally between bones from poultry (white meat) and bones from mammals? (red meat)

·
Registered
946 Posts
My two get most of their bone from chicken. I am finding it harder to get pork ribs, which was their other source of bone. So my question is, is there any difference nutritionally between bones from poultry (white meat) and bones from mammals? (red meat)
I can't answer your question ( but you could google it). I just wanted to say that my dogs have been fed pretty exclusively poultry bones for 13 years and are the picture of health! They will get the occasional knuckle bone, but that is more for recreation than dinner, so really doesn't count :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I spent a lot of time looking for the answer to this question and couldn't find a definitive answer. Bones are mostly calcium/phosphorus with other trace minerals. I'm not sure how much that differs between species. Excellent question though! I will continue to try and find information.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Tracy seems I saw a chart on this on either the raw feeding or raw chat list on yahoo. Dont remember which one. Or I guess it could have been on their FB sites too, LOL. If I run across it I will post it.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
IMO the difference would come between any animal being fed a commercial grain diet (ie chooks, rabbits, pork) - locked up in pens and fed nothing but crap pellets.

On the other hand, lamb, beef, goat, game etc. grazes constantly on grass, natural grain etc so, to my mind, they're going to contain a lot more trace elements and goodness.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Good point Dee.

Also animals bones would differ nutritionally depending on the age of the animal. A young lamb, for example, would have a much less dense bone structure than an older ewe/ram. So not only do I like to vary the species, but also the age of the species.

I think I read a study awhile back about a raw fed cat that was calcium deficient and developed 'rickets' because it was fed pinky mice ONLY for the bone content. Those baby mice don't have much calcium/phosphorus in those tiny bones. Much less than an adult mouse would have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts