Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know "Nylabone's" are great for dogs, but has anyone ever tried "Nylabone Edible Chews" (BBQ Chicken Flavor)?

Peanut Loves them and they are supposed to be made from wholesome ingredients and they contain No plastic. They are said to be an alternative to traditional rawhide.

I was wondering if they were indeed healthy or not.

Thanks,
Yael

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I looked at the ingredients on petco.com, and aside from the beef by-products in them, all the other ingredients are fine. :D just avoid anything with BHA or BHT in the ingredients.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I just recently learned about BHA and BHT...i looked on some of the treats I was giving chico, ans sure enough, BHA :( so i threw all of them out and bought him different ones. i now only give him 2 brands of treats...Cloud Star and Nature's Animals...boy does he love them!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kemo and Bindi die for them, I have tried potatoe/cheese.....steak/eggs/bacon/beef sticks they make a goopy mess though when they eat them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow.. i didnt even know what BHA or BHT was...
So even though the Nylabones have beef-by-products it should be fine if Peanut only eats them once in a while right??

Thanks for the great link.. :lol:

I just looked at "Peanut Butter" treats that I bought Peanut at WildOats (a supermarket that sells all natural foods) and it seems like it really is all natural.

If anyone wants to know because Peanut does like them, although they are a bit hard to chew, but he likes that as well.

They are called "One Earth Naturals Peanut Butter flavored treats"
And the ingredients are:
Wheat Flour, Corn Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Peanut Butter, Vegetable Oil, Rolled oats, Dried Whey, Dried Whole Eggs, Brewers Dried Yeast. It has no artificial presservatives, colors, or flavors.

I also have a website if anyone wants it :) I do hope im not promoting unhealthy treats..

Thanks,
Yael

Ok WAIT> I was just looking over the Link again.. And also the Peanut Butter treats ingredients and i saw that Corn Cluten Meal was not healthy... So forget what I said about the treats.. They are unhealthy..

This is the first time i EDIT a post so im not sure if im doing it right..
Sorry :(

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost all of the ingredients in this "Natural Treat" are unhealthy..

Chico's Mama, Thank you so much for the link.. I just printed it out and will put it on Peanuts Folder.. I appreciate it!

Thanks,
Yael

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
PeanutButter said:
Almost all of the ingredients in this "Natural Treat" are unhealthy..

Chico's Mama, Thank you so much for the link.. I just printed it out and will put it on Peanuts Folder.. I appreciate it!

Thanks,
Yael
No problem. I actually found that link posted on this forum by someone when i first joined. it was my handbook when selecting a good food for chico. in my opinion, beef by-products are fine once in a while. a lot of dog food have by-products in them...i just dont like by-products because the label food labels dont specify what part of the animal the by-products are from. :shock: for example: poultry by-product could contain chicken beaks.

now, i'm not promoting healthy or all natural food, nor am i demeaning foods with by-products in them. i just believe in feeding my dog a food with ingredients in it that i would eat. the only foods i will definitely caution against are ANYTHING with BHA or BHT in it. Corn Gluten or Corn Gluten Meal isn't bad or harmful to pets...it just serves as a "binder" in the food.

Also, if you want to get some really good, healthy treats for your chi, i recommend either "Cloud Star Buddy Biscuits" or "Nature's Animals Mini Bones." You can get them at Petco. Those are the only treats I give chico, besides his greenies and these digestable, spiral animal tendon thingies i just found out about the other day. I'm glad you found that site useful. I've literally become obsessive about ingredients in my dogs food :lol: :wave:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once again I do thank you deeply! I found it so useful and I also try to be as health oriented as I can with Peanut. I am going to try and find "Cloud Star Buddy Biscuits" and "Nature's Animals Mini Bones" at Petsmart because its much closer to me than Petco is, but if not I will go to Petco.

I completely agree with staying away from BHA and BHT and thank you because I didnt even know what that was before :lol: :wave:

Yael

·
Registered
70 Posts
So am I to understand that Nylabone Edibles are unhealthy? Friday likes them. I have given her banana and peanut butter, but I don't want to give her anything unhealthy.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, I think that the Nylabone Edibles are ok excluding the fact that they contain beef-by-products... As long as its givien within moderation it should be fine. :)

Yael

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Oh, I wasn't saying Nylabone edibles were bad...they're very good fo your dogs dental hygeine. I was just pointing they had beef by-products in them, which I personally don't give my dog anything with by-products in it. They're fine like once in a while...because chico has had them before. But he likes greenies now. :)

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
mine has the peppermint/spearmint/cinnamon kinds and he loves them, they just leave a mess on the carpet tho.. bits and pieces everywhere.. :?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts