Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have always avoided nylabones because everyone whose house I go to with one it is all chewed up. The bits taken off must go SOMEWHERE- so obviously the dogs are eating little bits of them and even if they say it is ok for them to eat little bits it still freaks me out. Today I was in the pet store buying a Kong and I saw they make new durable bones (I am talking about the non-edible ones). Are they really more durable? I like the idea of nylabones so I was thinking of giving them a try. We are getting a little low on the non-edible rubbery dog chews around here- nylabones are a nice size, made in the USA and you don't have to stuff food in them to make them interesting so I really see the appeal. Any opinions on the new products? Or nylabones in general, maybe I am over reacting about dogs eating bits of them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I researched them a few years ago, I dont buy them! I have one here that is very hard, but its starting to get rough on the ends and Im thinking about throwing it in the trash.
I have too many dogs to buy the fancy chews.

·
Registered
237 Posts
We have a couple here. One is a clearish smooth one and one is a dark blue one with nubbies on it. The blue one losses the little nubbies but the smooth one seems to just get dented but nothing comes off it. We've had them for 2 years.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I bought a pack of 3 types of nylabones. I keep them in the freezer for biscuit to chew on while teething. They stay cold for about as long as he is interested in them. But I would prefer a Kong if and when his mouth gets bog enough.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a pack of 3 types of nylabones. I keep them in the freezer for biscuit to chew on while teething. They stay cold for about as long as he is interested in them. But I would prefer a Kong if and when his mouth gets bog enough.
This kong in extra small- Puppy Goodie Bone - Kong Is really tiny, tiny enough for even the smallest of small puppies. Even the small puppy bone and the extra small puppy regular kong are probably small enough- but the x small bone is certainly small enough. It is only about 2 inches long and 1/4 inch thick on the shaft part.

Also thanks for everyone's input about the nylabones. I might try the durable ones and see how they go. They like antlers and bully sticks and all the normal stuff too- I am just always looking for new things to keep them interested.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Oh god, what I would give for any of my dogs I've ever owned to even put a nylabone in their ruddy mouth .... well, they do once, only to spit it out.

I've actually got one buried in the ZiwiPeak at the moment in the hope its smell will transfer to make it more attractive to them but I doubt it because they don't really get too fussed over that either, none of mine are happy eaters. The will, however, gnaw on a cow hoof, bully stick, lamb ear, pigs ear or fresh meaty bone for endless hours so that's what we stick to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts