Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you everyone for your kind words and support -- it means more than you know...it made the day a little less stressful knowing good thoughts were there for her across the country.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

crappy phone pic...

Sorry for no updates all day -- She was out of surgery by noon and waking up. They called me to say I could come in around 5 to hang out with her for an hour or so and also that the doctor wanted to sit down and talk about recovery and whatnot as she does not work tomorrow when I can bring her home. No computer for me until now, though...so here I am.

I kept myself pretty busy all day otherwise, I had to find clothes for my 6'5" 240 lb hubby (never an easy task), and tried to find some things for me but no luck. Where we live there is no shopping so it was good I had a mission to keep me occupied during the day.

Anyway, the vet was able to do a very good job with her knee and she explained it all to me but my head is too tired to connect all the dots again and explain it here right now, but she said based on the tears in tissue, it confirmed that the luxating patella was as we suspected injury related. She gave her other knee a good prodding while under anesthesia and said it was not popping out at all so it should be fine as long as she doesn't hurt it but there's always that chance. She did deepen the groove on the knee she operated on because even though it was probably good enough she said why leave a chance of a problem re-developing later? So now the knee once it heals will be more solid than it was before it was hurt or at least in theory.

I'm so glad she pulled through the day and she ate a little and can't wait to get her back in my arms tomorrow.

Her leg is in a cast for the first week so that she cannot move it or bother the stitches. Usually they leave it open but the said when she was waking up from surgery she started trying top hop around already and the vet wanted a stop to that asap so she has a cute little teal cast on it, its not a fully hard cast but is also not just a bandage, I forget the term for it but there's a splint inside, poor baby.

She seemed confused and out of it but we both are glad its over.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Oh little baby! :] So good to hear she did great! So proud.

Can't wait to get that little one home I bet!
Make her get some R&R!

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
So glad to hear all went well! No update had me worried! They have her all nice and bandaged up there. I bet she will be very happy to come home to you guys tomorrow. It's absolutely wonderful to hear that she did so well. Now the scary part is behind you, and on to a speedy recovery. Still sending best wishes! Get well soon, Oakley! Your Mama will take very good care of you! :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I'm so glad you posted, Kristi! I've been waiting and thinking about little Oakley so much today. I'm SO glad it's over for her (and for you and hubby!) and that all went well! That's sooo wonderful! Awww, poor little sweetie, she looks so precious in that pic. Give her a cuddle and a kiss for me tomorrow. She'll be up and about before you know it! So happy it's all over for you guys. yay. I can go to bed happy now. :) ((HUGS))

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Now all she needs is some autographs on her little teal cast. :lol:

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hehe poor baby is on 4 weeks cage rest. I was surprised at the little cast thing because everything I've seen says they don't usually but I guess she was naughty. I am gonna get a silver sharpie and sign it hahaha and draw paw prints for my other pups on there I think, if she'll tolerate it.

She was sooo out of it when I was there, I wanted to bring her home w/ me but I am glad they will be monitoring her over night. They said someone will be checking on her every 30 min and taking #'s every hour...poor baby.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aww I'm sure you wanted to bring her home. I know it's so hard leaving them overnight. I'm glad they are checking on her so often, gives you peace of mind for sure. :) You'll have to take pics of her signed cast for us. :D

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
She looks so sweet in that pic. :love7: Was she sad when you left? Can she walk before the 4 weeks, or does she have to only go potty, eat, etc? I know you are so glad that part is over. I can only imagine how stressful today was for you and your hubby. Maybe it's better that they have the little cast on her. That way she won't lick and try to hop around? You certainly don't want her to hurt it again. You'll have to take pics when you get her little cast all spiffed up. :lol: Anyway girl, I'm glad your sweet baby is out of surgery and doing well. :) I have been thinking about her all day. Let us know how things are going tomorrow.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She looks so sweet in that pic. :love7: Was she sad when you left? Can she walk before the 4 weeks, or does she have to only go potty, eat, etc? I know you are so glad that part is over. I can only imagine how stressful today was for you and your hubby. Maybe it's better that they have the little cast on her. That way she won't lick and try to hop around? You certainly don't want her to hurt it again. You'll have to take pics when you get her little cast all spiffed up. :lol: Anyway girl, I'm glad your sweet baby is out of surgery and doing well. :) I have been thinking about her all day. Let us know how things are going tomorrow.
She doesn't want her even walking out to potty, we have to carry her, put her down on a leash, and have her go and carry her back in. She said she can't stress enough how important it is so we will do it. We are "pimping out" her kennel so its cozy and a sanctuary for her, and I will try to bring her into work form time to time so she gets a change of scenery. TBH I'm glad there is a cast on there, I didn't want to see it :( :( :( :( She said basically keeping her completely still for 4 weeks should cut recovery time by 3-4 weeks total. So we'll see. I also bought her the martha stuart bed to ride home in tomorrow ha ha ha. I am a guilt shopper. She also got a new harness (why she needs this now...????) and collars and chews and toys and blah blah blah. But it made me feel better ??

I will update tomorrow but will be driving most of the day as its 7 hours to get home...blahhhhh.

She was sad when I left but really kind of out of it. She gave me a few kisses but she was mad I left her there, I could tell :( :(

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Awww, it's funny how we can always tell what they're thinking. I'm sure she will be quite sedated though and will be sleeping most of the time. Ha, the shopping spee sounds nice! Glad you got the Martha Stewart bed, I picked it up recently too, been meaning to post pics. Did you get the aqua one?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
AWW! Chihuahua casts are so precious in a sad way, I dunno how I'd describe that. I'm so glad she's doing so well!! What an awesome little girl :) And good for you too, mama, you made it!! :D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awww, it's funny how we can always tell what they're thinking. I'm sure she will be quite sedated though and will be sleeping most of the time. Ha, the shopping spee sounds nice! Glad you got the Martha Stewart bed, I picked it up recently too, been meaning to post pics. Did you get the aqua one?
Yep, I really like it. I like that the whole outside can be washed too, we'll see how it holds up to my terrors.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Poor little girl. :( That's going to be so tough keeping her so still, isn't it? Bless her heart. :( Well, at least you know there is good that comes from it. Anything to shorten her recovery time. But I bet she'll love the extra attention. :D Even though we know Mommy already gives her tons. :p

I bet her kennel looks wonderful! And super duper cozy! You’ll have to take pics of that too.

I was thinking that. About the cast. At least you can't see the icky part. That would probably make you feel even worse. :(

Ha-ha! You guys needed that MS bed! It is SO cozy!! I bet she’ll love it! She is getting the super star treatment, and well deserved! Little Princesses have to have their luxuries!

I know what you mean about guilt shopping. But hey, I'm sure she needed everything! :wink: It always comes in good use somehow, right. :lol:

Oh my! 7 hours! Long way! Well be sure to update when you get home.

She'll be so happy when you guys pick her up tomorrow that she'll forgive you for having to leave. She will be in great hands staying overnight. That is really the best option. They can monitor her vitals and all through the night.

Give her some kisses & hugs from The Wee's and I. :daisy:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Wow sounds like you have had your hands full! I'm so glad she is doing ok. And I must say the pic you posted of her ... she looks so darn cute! Only a chi could pull that off post surgery! :)
Try not to stress when she stays in over night, I know its hard because I stressed the whole 2 nights honey was away from me. But she was fine :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
PS she says she feels the fur shaved is unnecessary and her hiney is cold!
Lol! Her poor little booty!
Kristi I'm so relieved to hear Oakley's surgery went well. She has been on my mind all day. I will keep a look out for updates and check in on your blog.
She looks so precious!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
FROM ACCROSS THE WORLD!!! MISS OAKLEY has given me a headache stressing out about her

She looks good babe considering what she's been through she looks really really good!! 4 weeks will go quickly and shell be back to her normal self give her kisses from us xxx

1 - 20 of 34 Posts