Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had another person this weekend tell me that there are distinct differences between the two coats as far as personality and temperament.

As a general rule - smooth coats are more feisty, more active, more playful. Always up for a game. Goofy. High energy.

Longs are more laid back. Sweet. Not as wild. Happy to lay on your lap and cuddle.

Is there any truth to this?? Just a rumor? Or is there something genetically that separates temperament between the two coats?

Obviously the longs and smooths had different ancestors, right?

I know that personality differences will obviously differ between dogs. But is there a tendency for the smooth coats to be different in their overall temperament and personality than the longs?

Let the observations begin...... :coolwink:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Am interested in following this thread! I had a smooth coat that I adopted as an adult (she's not with us anymore ): ) and now have a long coat puppy. I know she was very feisty and he (long coat) seems more laid back, but I thought that might be male vs. female too.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
I have heard the observations too. I think they might fit sometimes and not fit others, therefore it's hard to put any stock in it.

For instance, mine fit virtually all those categories listed for both LC and SC. They're so well rounded. haha. ;) As for the LC attributes: both of my chi's love to cuddle, they could spend hours each day on my lap cuddling. They are both enormously sweet, not a bit of mean in either of them. Pip is very laid back. I wouldn't say this is true of Roo though, she's more feisty in a goofy way. So that one in probably the only one not true of Roo.

As for the short hair temperament, they both easily fit into all of those categories too, without exception of one for Pip, as I wouldn't call him feisty. Maybe mine are atypical SC's, but I really don't think so. ;) I think a lot of it just comes down to individual personality. :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Hah! That theory rings opposite for my smooth and long coat!! My SC male is very laid back, go with the flow, content to sit around, loves everybody, etc... While my LC female is very fiesty and high energy, she loves to zoom around and bark like a mad woman.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
As a general rule--yes, I find long coats more mellow. There are exceptions to every
rule; Kip was a very sweet and mellow smooth coat. Tabitha is a fiesty redhead long
coat! LOL! But, if you are talking overall "hyper-ness" then I do see a definite difference.
So does their Breeder :)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Well I cannot say about a lc chi and I'll only comment on B since lulu is a mix. B has shorty bursts of spunkiness and playfullness but I'd call her more of a calm cuddler than a hyper pup for sure. She's very sweet and loves her family but could really care less about people outside of her circle. If I'm sitting she's on my lap. I think she's got a very easy going, laid back temparment. My mom who had chis as a kid often comments about her go with the flow personality.

Very interesting topic.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've found the opposite to be true, Tracy. While they may all be social, I think SC are a little more reserved. The way I explain the difference is this - A LC will be in your lap before your butt hits the seat. A SC will wait for you to sit down, smell you, then jump in your lap.

There's some history behind LC but the ancestory is the same. I'm pretty sure I covered this in another thread but I'd have to go find it. I even pulled out my books for that one and I don't have time to do it right now. I'll see if I can find the post. Otherwise, I'll have to find the time later to dig out the handbooks so I can give you the CCA Historian's information on this.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Sebastian & Zoey were both well rounded, Sebastian was a lot more active though, but I think part of that is because of all of Zoey's issues, however Zoey will be in your lap before your butt hits the chair. Sebastian would be content to lay by your side. I think it partly depends on the dog. A lot of the long coats we see at the vet are a lot more 'mellow' and not as nippy/high strung as the short coats. We've found the same to be true with Dachshunds.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Found it, Tracy. Here's my senopsis of what the CCA Historians report:

I think the most illustrated research paper was done by Nancy Shobeck for CCA and published in the 1992 Handbook. "The History of the Chihuahua as Traced Through PreColumbian Artifacts" has many pictures of the early dipictions of our breed, and they all have short legs, round heads, and erect ears. The muzzles differ in length from short to longer, but the heads are round, not triangular deer heads. Some historians are pointing to the Chihuahua like dogs of Malta and suggest that they arrived via the travelling ships to influence the breed, including adding the long coat gene. Others, authorities on Latin America and the Ancient Aztecs of Mexico, contend that the original Chihuahua was a long coat. Historically, the first three AKC registered Chihuahuas were Long Coats. The Breeder who had the most Champions in the early 1920s had only Long Coats. So there is some conflict as to the origin of the Long Coat in our breed, but again, they were not long legged, long muzzled, nor did they have deer heads and down ears. In pictures of Chihuahuas in 1951, the dogs closely resemble dogs of today, with the exception of a little longer muzzle with more taper. It's long been agreed that the origins of the breed have been lost in the ages but until now, there has never been any argument over the basic look of the Chihuahua.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
At least w/ my boys, the opposite seems to be true. Bryco is very hyper, always on the go, can't sit still. We say he has ADD. Trigger is the snugglebug that will lay in our lap or next to us for as long as we'll let him. He isn't fiesty at all. Both are really friendly. Not sure where my girls fit in, but Oakley is definitely fiesty and Laurel loves to snuggle!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Excellent thread!

I have no experience with a long coat Chi, however I must say that from the description, it sounds like Gambit should've been a LC.

Perhaps it is because he is a boy but I've found that Kiki is very high energy, she has such a high metabolism, always on the go, burning up all the energy.
She will sit on my lap when im on the sofa (sometimes getting there before me so I have to watch I dont sit on her :D) but if she isn't comfortable (position wise) she'll go off and do her own thing as if my lap doesnt deserve her haha.
Kiki would play 24/7 if she could, she LOVES tug of war with a rope or chasing after balls. She is very cheeky and will squeak her squeaky toys while looking at me (I am certain she knows I hate the noise lol).
Kiki is incredibly independent too.

Gambit on the other hand only plays if he is really bored lol. If I throw the ball he'll run to my hand to lick it instead.
He would live on my lap or by my feet if he could. He can't jump on the sofa like Kiki so he is content to just sit by my feet and sleep. He could be in the most awkward looking position ever and just be at peace.
He is a mummy's boy through and through.
If Gambit isn't by my feet or on my lap, you'll find him sitting on a cushion or slipper watching the world go by or taking a nap.
Oh and he LOVES to be held (I try not to hold him often though).

Again, it could just be because he is a boy because I've heard girls are usually more independent high energy etc but my two SC are definitely total opposites!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
well Lowly is big and gentle and soooooo loving. She loves to play, play and play. She loves a cuddle.

Cookie is old and grumpy and only comes for a cuddle when he wants one which isn't often

Tillie my short is very timid with people. Loves to play with Lola and likes a good cuddle. She's a lap dog.

And my Benny was a long hair and he was very laid back and gentle and sooooo loving. Not as playful.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
i dont know about short coats, but bianca would sit all day asleep in your lap, she gets the zoomies just befor 10pm then its bed time

cosmo is still very young so he plays a bit more, but come 10pm hes in bed too, in fact all our dogs put them selves to bed around this time, a little play a pee and bed till 7;30am, iv just realised how lucky i am now

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
i dont know about short coats, but bianca would sit all day asleep in your lap, she gets the zoomies just befor 10pm then its bed time

cosmo is still very young so he plays a bit more, but come 10pm hes in bed too, in fact all our dogs put them selves to bed around this time, a little play a pee and bed till 7;30am, iv just realised how lucky i am now
Same here Amanda,Lily puts herself to bed at 10pm every night no matter what we are doing:hello1:

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
All of mine would lay and sleep in my lap all day long if they could. They were very playful as puppies, but as they aged into adulthood, they are quite mellow. When I say very playful as puppies, I mean typical puppy play, not high strung. All SC's. They still play, but overall very well rounded in personality and temperament. I would say the girls are a bit more "clingy."

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I think with this thread you have to take into consideration that in the USA SC's & LC's are able to be bred where as in some places this isn't true. So I don't know if that has something to do with the opinions? Just wanted to bring that up anyway...

With my SC's - I have some that could play all day long (Matilda has a never ending supply of energy BUT will also curl up & sleep with you all day and night if that is what strikes your fancy). I have some or one that is LAZY (Milo) and could care less that everyone else is up playing around. LOL The other four have playful spurts through out the day but are curled up sleeping & grooming each other the rest of the day. All love to be in laps snoozing. Some like to be on top of each other snoozing & some would prefer to be alone snoozing.

I do find Maribelle a bit more adjustable to unfamiliar surroundings. Though Marley is great in these situations as well. She is however, more bark happy than anyone else. Except when their are other dogs involved...Maxie & Marley take the cake on barking at other dogs. Mari isn't so bad. She's not horrible but sometimes she just can't help herself from barking - even if I'm right here or in her face saying quiet. It's like she can't help it. haha She'll bark & get a "smile" on her face knowing she's being naughty. ;) She's too cute. But all & all she's a bit more laid back in new situations - otherwise I notice no difference & find the different temperments being different from dog to dog rather than coat type.

·
Administrator
7,248 Posts
well in my case honey is the most laid back of my 3 shes longcoat then romeo is also very laid back very much a lapdog loves to be close to me at all times
then we come to zac longcoat (from 2 shortcoat parents) he is so highly strung wild child always up to some mischief the brat i call him he is always playing with something hes the most hyper by a long shot of my 3 but i herd the same as you tracey

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I think everyone has a differing opinion on high strung and i feel age has a lot to do with how energetic they are. Having no experience with a LC can't speak on that behalf, Leila is playful but lays a good portion of her "free time" and chews on toys. So she is not zipping around constantly but she loves to wrestle around with lucy as much as she can. Both of leila's parents were SC.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts