Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am training my chi to go outside (8 weeks old) and I remove his water 2 hours before bedtime. Well he then gets upset that I have taken it up and goes on a hunt for it. When it is raining out he waits at the gate to my living room to go outside to drink the rainwater. I take him out and he will potty but after he fights me on the harness to get to a puddle. He even got smart enough to push out the tiniest drop of pee in front of the gate so that I take him out for more water. I assure you he usually gets a good drink before I take it up and he starts this behavior right after the fact. I am really at a loss at what to do here. I forgot to pull his water in time once and he peed in his sleep on his blanket, I don't want this happening again. He will NOT use potty pads or a patch. Any input is appreciated and thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
I have never taken water away from an 8 week old puppy,if he's full of energy running around as they do, he could get dehydrated .

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Yep, I'm in the no picking up water team too. If he is in a crate/kennel take him out just before you go to bed. Maybe set your alarm for 3-4am and take him out? Just for awhile. 8 weeks is too young to go all night long.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've never taken water away, but do limit food before bed.
I would do what's susan davis suggested and set your alarm. I know its difficult and exhausting, but a dehydrated chi isn't good. He will get bigger and be able to hold more with time.
Btw your little guy sounds like a hoot! I bet he's so much fun.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I definitely agree with everyone else who said not to take his water away, especially at his age.

You're definitely lucky you have a dog that likes to go outside in the rain. Many chis are the exact opposite and would rather find a place under the sofa or bed to pee, instead of going outside if it's wet or cold out. I would encourage it instead of discourage it if I were you.

Unfortunately, at 8 weeks old, he definitely doesn't have too much control over his bladder. It's just something you have to deal with. Take him out as much as possible, give him treats/praise when he uses the bathroom outside, and clean up after him if he does it inside. It will also help him to learn a command to relieve himself, such as "go potty" or "hurry up." Then, after he's all done, play with him out there for a few minutes, so he doesn't think that finishing his business means the end of fun (which may cause him to stay out there for as long as possible and take a long time to finish what he has to do.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts