Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past week my 8yr old chihuahua has been acting strange, totally new behavior I've never seen in the past 2 years of owning him. Whenever he's touched anywhere below his neck he uncontrollably kicks his back leg. He does this on either side he's touched on (petting his head doesn't make it happen.) I thought it might be something neurological but then a couple days ago he started compulsively scratching his backside (the spot in front of his tail, not his butt) and kicking both back legs while doing it, against the corner of my sofa. I'd pick him up and he'd be fine but then run back to the same stop and obsessively scratch again. There has been no change in his environment or diet (he eats a non-grain dog food as he's allergic to grains) and his appetite and energy level/mood had been great and normal. Also no indication of any pain at all. I took him to the vet yesterday and though they found no sign of fleas they said that still could be the problem so gave my flea shampoo and treatment. They also said it could be allergies. They examined him and felt no lumps or anything, temperature was normal. Anyways I'm doubtful about the flea scenario but I guess it's a good first thing to rule out. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks
:bootyshake:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think this poor boy has something--pain or itching that is making him miserable. I wonder if an x-ray of the area would reveal anything? Something that just 'came on' and doesn't have any external source, maybe deeper. I'd go back to the vet if this continues, and ask for an x-ray.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts