Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my puppy, as most puppies are, is demanding of my attention. He has someone with him most of the day, every day. I am at work during the day but my parents are with him, and I spent the evenings with him - playing, cuddling, walking him. Then we get to weekends and holidays when I am home all the time with him - and he's constantly demanding my attention. Which frankly is getting me down a bit. I want to be able to do some of my own things and have him content to be around me but not in my space all the time, asking to be played with or picked up.

How do I get around this? Is it cruel not to give in to him? How do I keep him entertained (short of a constant supply of treats) so I can have some time to myself?

What do YOU do?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
How old is he ? Have you got a crate that he can go in when you need some space? i find that if i put loads of toys down Dottie and Lily will play on their own,or some chews keep them occupied

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's six months old. He has a crate, yeah, just smaller enough to turn around in. He goes in there to sleep.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
First of all, how old is your dog? Puppies are going to demand all of your time and attention, they're attention-whores lol! But the more you give in to them, the more demanding they'll become, and they'll grow into adults who throw a fit if they're not the center of attention at all times.

Don't fall into that trap. I rescued Tango at 7 months, and he was more or less out of that stage by that time. Jazz on the other hand was 11 weeks when I rescued her, and once I got her well she was VERY demanding of my time and attention, just like any puppy would be.

Even as adults, they are both wanting to be with me all the time. They hang with me when I'm on the computer, (one is usually on my lap) sleep/lay on me when I'm on the couch watching TV, I alternate taking them with me on my daily walk, (and the one left behind is NOT happy!) they wait for me outside the shower......yeah, I'd say they want to be with me 24/7 lol!

It's NOT cruel to want time to yourself. I certainly do. My dogs know that being with me is a privilege, and NOT their right. Even though they're with me most of the time I'm home, they still know that *I* am the one who controls that. If I say "in your crate!" they know that that's where they have to be, regardless of how much they'd rather sit on my lap. If I have to leave, they don't like it and might whine a tiny bit, but they do NOT kick up a fuss. Again, they know that my time is my own and I control it.

I work during the day, and am out frequently at night (I dance, and I'm either dancing or training) so they don't spend a whole lot of time with me during the week, though they get a LOT of my time on the weekend. But again, I come and go as I please, if I want time to myself I go into my bedroom and shut the door, or crate them if I want to be somewhere else.

What I've written may sound mean. It's not. My dogs mean the world to me, they are pampered pets living in the lap of luxury. They're well adjusted, well behaved, in excellent health and wonderful representatives of the breed. But they're still dogs, and I'm people, and the dogs don't get to call the shots!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I work all day, and when I get home it's a FIGHT for my attention between my grandma's two pugs and Chip. Chip always wins, of course, and for about 15 minutes he'll be so incredibly STOKED that I am home that all he can do is bring his various favorite toys to my feet and scramble up into my laps and grin. He likes to follow me around, but Chip is less of a lap dog and more of a snuggle/slumber dog, so even if he does want to be right where I am, if I'm sitting he respects my space and just gets under the nearest blanket/sheet/pillow.

Chip does constantly "check in" with me, which I LOVE- if we're walking, sitting, with other people, sleeping, etc. he'll look over at me and throw up his ears. I know that means he's either looking for a command/treat or a "good boy", and I think it makes him feel better to know that he gets acknowledged for just looking at me. It's so funny because I'll be standing in front of my mirror doing my make-up/hair, and I'll see him STARING at me in the mirror's reflection.

Chip gets almost all of my attention on the weekends...no fight for it there.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tink, Thank you. I really needed to hear that. I don't mind when he's quietly sitting on my lap and I can do other things, but he's constantly pushing at my hand, or biting things (he's teething, so I don't entirely blame him for that). You're right - I need to put a stop to it now before he turns into a highly demanding adult. I'm going to start praising him when he's quiet, and petting him then, and when he's whining and clearly demanding attention I am going to walk away until he's stopped.

Again, thanks - I really appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Tink, Thank you. I really needed to hear that. I don't mind when he's quietly sitting on my lap and I can do other things, but he's constantly pushing at my hand, or biting things (he's teething, so I don't entirely blame him for that). You're right - I need to put a stop to it now before he turns into a highly demanding adult. I'm going to start praising him when he's quiet, and petting him then, and when he's whining and clearly demanding attention I am going to walk away until he's stopped.

Again, thanks - I really appreciate the advice.
You're very welcome. :)

It's way too easy to give in to them more often than we should, because they're just so darn CUTE! :angel1: But it does owner AND dog a really big disservice. Where's the fun in coming to just flat out resent your dog for monopolizing your time? Be persistent and don't give in. Get yourself and your dog past this stage. You'll be very happy you did. :hello1:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're very welcome. :)

It's way too easy to give in to them more often than we should, because they're just so darn CUTE! :angel1: But it does owner AND dog a really big disservice. Where's the fun in coming to just flat out resent your dog for monopolizing your time? Be persistent and don't give in. Get yourself and your dog past this stage. You'll be very happy you did. :hello1:
They are! He looks at me with those big eyes and whines and then I think 'oh no, he's all sad and I'd better give him attention otherwise he will think I am a big meany!' LOL. I am still new to dog owning (he's my first) so I'm learning alongside him. Thankfully he picks things up pretty fast so hopefully it won't take too long. :)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
If your pup is an only dog in the household, you might think about a playmate for him which would give him a companion to socialize with when you prefer to be alone or doing other things. I am one of those dog owners who enjoys the "pack" mentality of my dogs. Each one is given individual attentions by hubby and myself.. the amount is dependent on each one's personality.. Some are real "lap" dogs who sit with me at the computer, while reading, watching televison.. others prefer just personal converation while they follow me.. Like people, dogs are individuals (once out of their baby stage.) We have certain chis who have definitely "bonded" with each other and enjoy being together eating, sleeping and playing. They get along with the others, but you can easily see they prefer being with each other to the rest of the pack. Dogs are social animals because we have domesticated them, but even in the wild, they live in packs and enjoy the company of their own kind. Having owned singleton dogs, a pair of dogs, and a pack of dogs.. it is obvious to me that they behave differently based on the situation in which they live.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts