Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yuck. I have had multiple dogs and cats throughout my life and I've never had a problem with fleas... until now. My husband and I took Ode on a trip to Victoria on Vancouver Island and when we got home, I noticed I had little itchy bumps. We stayed in a really nice hotel, but we thought maybe the room we stayed in had bed bugs. Just today, my husband noticed bites on his body too. I didn't see anything on Odie until tonight when she was itching her tummy and I picked her up and saw one crawling along.

We just finished bathing her, as I didn't know what else to do at 10:30 on a Saturday night and one came off in the water. I feel so bad for her. A friend suggested that I buy a flea comb to use until the vet is open on Monday. After reading all about fleas online (not the best bedtime reading material), I've decided that tomorrow I'll comb Odie and the cats, kennel them, and then vacuum like a mad woman and wash everything. I won't have any help tomorrow, so I think bathing the cats is right out of the question and I'm doubting my ability to use a fine toothed comb on them. Any other tips? Not looking forward to this crazy day coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
509 Posts
Only thing I've ever found effective which zapped fleas instantly was Drontal, was really struggling with them with Noah but since I used it been flea free ever since.

I believe it's a wormer also though? I used it for everything so I'm not sure if there is one that just targets fleas. It must be pretty strong but I've only had to use it once.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm... I wormed her not too long ago. This is such a pain in the butt! I only slept for a couple of hours because I couldn't stop thinking about fleas biting me. Gross.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
i agree with using advantage. My vet will let me just buy as many doses as i want instead of a whole package. So, you probably only need one dose of it and do the cats at the same time with advantage for cats. Not sure if you'll have to spray the house too. Just talk to the girls at the Animal hospital you go to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT use comfortis! One of the side effects is seizures. I gave it to my chi about 3 weeks ago and he had a seizure.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
There is a pill that kills the fleas on the dog within 30 minutes. I don't know if there is one for cats too---. I followed up with the flea stuff that drips on the shoulder. If you are getting bitten too, I'm afraid they are in your bedroom too. Wear some white socks and see if there are any on them after awhile. I had to use a bomb when some cats I was boarding had them in my Mom's bedroom. (she was gone thankfully)

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the advice! I'm considering medicating the cats and not medicating Odie, depending on what's available on a Sunday. My Mom offered to come over and help me bath the cats so I'm going to vacuum our spare bedroom, bath everyone and put them all in the cleaned room while I go to town on the rest of the house with a vacuum and citrus spray and I'll wash everything that's washable.

A friend suggested feeding Odie brewer's yeast. Has anyone tried this? I'd like to avoid medication with her if I can. I'll talk to the vet about it on Monday. Thankfully her hair is really short and I could see the one flea I found on her easily.

I was also reading about making "flea traps" with water in a dish with a light pointed on it at night. It grosses me out so much that they're everywhere! I only slept for 2 hours last night.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I saw on a TV infomercial (Dr Bader’s Natural Solutions Book) that you can get rid of fleas by rubbing half an orange on their fur. Not sure that works tho? Maybe you can see that infomercial on youtube.

I know how you feel. I been cleaning like a mad woman the last few days because my dog still has giardia and on second round of meds :(

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So here's an update. My Mom came over last night and we spent 7 hours cleaning the house, which included:

- Cleaned one room well, bathed cats and dog and put them in there before I began cleaning the rest of the house. We used an all natural dog shampoo.
- Washing all bedding and pet bedding in hot water. All bedding and throw pillows, etc. that couldn't go in the washer was put in the dryer on hot for at least a half hour. All of Odie's toys were put into a bag in the freezer.
- Applied baking soda to the carpets and furniture and vacuumed well.
- Vacuumed the hardwood floors and then washed by hand with a cloth and vinegar/water.
- Wiped down all surfaces.
- Sprayed cat furniture with homemade citrus spray (orange peels in boiling water) and vacuumed.
- Sprayed bed and couches and cat furniture with a spray from Norwex that kills microscopic bugs.
- Rubbed baking soda into all carpets before vacuuming.

When we bathed the cats, no fleas came off. When we bathed Odie, three came off! Poor Odie. I tried the white sock trick, and three jumped onto my socks during my cleaning. I made a vet appointment for in a couple of hours to get some medication. As much as I wanted to avoid medication, I didn't expect there to be so many! My body is covered in bites. We've had them for at least a week, and I don't want it to come to the point of fumigation. Feel so bad for all my animals.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
So here's an update. My Mom came over last night and we spent 7 hours cleaning the house, which included:

- Cleaned one room well, bathed cats and dog and put them in there before I began cleaning the rest of the house. We used an all natural dog shampoo.
- Washing all bedding and pet bedding in hot water. All bedding and throw pillows, etc. that couldn't go in the washer was put in the dryer on hot for at least a half hour. All of Odie's toys were put into a bag in the freezer.
- Applied baking soda to the carpets and furniture and vacuumed well.
- Vacuumed the hardwood floors and then washed by hand with a cloth and vinegar/water.
- Wiped down all surfaces.
- Sprayed cat furniture with homemade citrus spray (orange peels in boiling water) and vacuumed.
- Sprayed bed and couches and cat furniture with a spray from Norwex that kills microscopic bugs.
- Rubbed baking soda into all carpets before vacuuming.

When we bathed the cats, no fleas came off. When we bathed Odie, three came off! Poor Odie. I tried the white sock trick, and three jumped onto my socks during my cleaning. I made a vet appointment for in a couple of hours to get some medication. As much as I wanted to avoid medication, I didn't expect there to be so many! My body is covered in bites. We've had them for at least a week, and I don't want it to come to the point of fumigation. Feel so bad for all my animals.
Good luck, i hope you can clear things up real soon !
you really shouldnt need to take Odie in for an appointment if she's caught up to date with everything else. They should just be able to sell you the products you need for your Odie and your cats. that'd save you a bunch of money on an exam fee.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good luck, i hope you can clear things up real soon !
you really shouldnt need to take Odie in for an appointment if she's caught up to date with everything else. They should just be able to sell you the products you need for your Odie and your cats. that'd save you a bunch of money on an exam fee.
That's what I thought too, but she said since it's a prescription that I'd need an appointment. This is the only time I've been disappointed in my vet clinic.

We decided to do Odie's 1 year shots and then not vaccinate after that, and the vet wanted to space them all apart since she's 5 pounds and he told me that I wouldn't have to pay the exam fee on the other visits, just for the vaccination. The lady I talked to today tried to talk me into doing her vaccination and flea meds at the same time and I asked her if it was safe. She was it was, but I don't feel comfortable with that, so I asked her if I could make the vaccination appointment in 2 weeks and she said that I wasn't getting the vaccinations done in a "timely manner" so I would have to pay the exam fee. So infuriating! Just because I don't want to overload my dog with crap all at the same time I'm being penalized. I'm definitely not paying an exam fee again.

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll see when I go there. Appointment is in an hour. Maybe the person who answered the phone doesn't know what she's talking about! Haha. I hope they won't charge me. I don't really see why she would need to be examined, especially because that really doesn't help the cats out does it?! They just saw her a few weeks ago too.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
All the flea meds that are sold by a vet are prescription, I think. I know that when I was trying to get Vectra 3d, and my vet didn't sell it, I had to get a prescription to get it from another vet. You also need a script to buy online, etc (usually they just call the vet to confirm). When you get it from your own vet, they don't need a script usually because they know your dogs medical history, etc and don't have to worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Registered
5,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All the flea meds that are sold by a vet are prescription, I think. I know that when I was trying to get Vectra 3d, and my vet didn't sell it, I had to get a prescription to get it from another vet. You also need a script to buy online, etc (usually they just call the vet to confirm). When you get it from your own vet, they don't need a script usually because they know your dogs medical history, etc and don't have to worry about it.

Good to know! I am so new to this world of fleas.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
When i took Latte to the vet to get her staples out after her spay... the vet found 1 flea on her ( which i really think jumped on her when the vet tech took her in the back room to show everyone how cute latte was ).

anyways... i bought the advantage for Latte and my 3 other dogs. ( 2 of them are not seen by this Vet, they see a different Vet ) but they had no problem dispensing Advantage for all 4 of my dogs even though they dont see 2 of them. The other Vet that Peyton and Minnie go to doesnt do surgery so thats why i had to take Tootsie and Latte to this vet cause they both just recently got spayed.

i still think if you are just buying advantage , you should be able to just buy it from the vet that your dog goes to without an appointment .... and they should sell you the advantage for your cats too ...

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Good to know! I am so new to this world of fleas.
Tell me about it! I lived in Florida, where fleas run rampant. Never had a flea on a dog or in my home. I moved to North Carolina and Toby had fleas within a week! I got comfortis, which worked wonders. I found dead fleas within 15 mins. I also flea combed him every day for four days, put DE on the carpet, baseboards, doors, etc and gave him a bath. I vacuumed every day for 2 week, as recommended by a pest guy I called for advice. I put flea powder in my vacuum to kill the fleas (or you can empty the filter outside). I also washed every linen, and vacuumed the furniture. One weekend of hard worked followed by some dedicated vacuuming and flea meds and the fleas haven't been back! Fingers crossed lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts