Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had their chihuahua checked by OFA? Can someone walk me through how many X-rays it takes, etc?

I am interested in having Rocco's hips, knees, and elbows checked/certified by the OFA. I know he's not registered, but I plan to run him real hard in agility once he's full grown. The vet has passed him round one for elbows/knees/shoulders/hips but most dogs aren't working the way Rocco does, even as a puppy.

(Note: Of course I am not running him to death on young, new, joints. But most of the chi's I see in my area sit on a pillow all day. :D)

Thanks for the help! I'm really curious to know how much this is going to run me, outside the $30 exam fee and $50 OFA fees which I know about.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
It's basically a manual inspection. By any veterinarian. Not really a big deal, and not really conclusive. It is only considered a "valid" test if the dog is over 12 months of age (bones done growing).

X-rays are a preliminary measure...you can get them done to be sure a pup's legs look how they should.

Genetic history from a breeder that knows and tests its stock is your best guarantee of good knees. The test only goes so far...I will have it done on any dogs I plan to breed, but I also plan to couple that with as much knowledge as I can glean from the dog or bitches breeder.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
In order to have his hips certified your dog will have to be anesthetized & his hips positioned specially (basically they rotate the legs inward) and then usually 2 views of X-rays are taken. The cost for that depends, when I've had my big dogs done it's been about $250.00 with anesthesia & xrays. Same with the elbows (although I've never heard/seen elbow dysplasia in chis), but they have to be anesthetized and then the elbow is pulled into position. As for the knees, that is basically a physical exam/manipulation by your vet.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Unless there is a serious problem, I wouldn't have any animal anesthesized because it's dangerous. Like flippstars said, every time I take mine to the vet, the vet always checks the mobility of my Chi's joints & knees.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts