Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh I feel so horrible. Godric, by all means is my baby and I spoil him to the core, but i'm such a bad mom sometimes.

Long story short, left the gym early to spend some quality time with the pups before work. Got home, suited them up, and set off on a longer than usual morning walk. On this route we crossed paths with a lady and her unruly yorkie so I opted for the alternative route through the garden. Stepped in a fox hole, rolled my ankle and of course let Godrics lead go flying - which isn't the first time this I'd let it go accidentally which is why I feel so miserable. It's retractable so it goes flying at my poor baby and he sets off running. By this point I know he's heading back toward the way of the parking lot so without thinking I grab Gretel and run through the pain.

Thank GOD he stopped and let me get to him after he'd settled down from the shock. We got home safely, I carried him of course and he's had his breakfast; He seems to have forgiven me but I feel so pitiful.

So here I sit with a swelling ankle, internet shopping for a "less-lethal" leash for my baby :(

·
Premium Member
12,272 Posts
What a shock for you ! these things happen it's not your fault am glad you 2 are ok apart from your ankle,have you put a packet of frozen peas(or anything else ) on it ?that will help with the swelling

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a shock for you ! these things happen it's not your fault am glad you 2 are ok apart from your ankle,have you put a packet of frozen peas(or anything else ) on it ?that will help with the swelling
Thank you Michele, yes i'm icing my ankle. I have to work today but I should manage. I warmed up Godrics blanket in the dryer and he's sleeping now, just upset that I let it happen to him is all.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've done that before to one of my bigger dogs and promptly threw my flexi leads in the trash. I've decided that flexi leads are from the devil and should all be burned. They are very unsafe devices that we use on a daily basis without much thought. I use only 6 foot standard length leashes that are of an appropriate size for the dog. My chihuahua has a 1/4" wide leash and the border collies use 1/2" leashes. That way if I drop one the dogs are none the worse for the wear. I don't blame them for being scared if the flexi is dropped, it comes chasing after them, bouncing and is heavy.

I'm so sorry your poor boy got scared! I'm sure he'll learn to enjoy walks again soon, I just wouldn't use flexi leads anymore. Definitely ice your ankle, twisted ankles are no fun and I hope yours feels better soon!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
dont blame your self, things happen. you did everything you could. And its a great outcome the chi's are fine. And your foot will heal. I have never ever liked those leads to dangerous.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I hope your ankle get's better soon love, it was just an accident though, you're not at fault. I dropped Feodore's retractable lead once, the big handle bit reeled in and hit him and I felt terrible.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I don't like flexi leads for that reason. The only time I use them is when I take Shellie, my golden to the park so she can run around (she gets too distracted to be reliable off leash).

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Sorry it scared Godric, but I have hurt my ankle several times and I know it hurts and you dropped it because of the pain. Glad he was able to be caught so quickly. If you get a chance at work, can you prop up your ankle? It should help with the swelling. I used a trash can to prop mine and it helped. I just use the flexi lead to teach come. Gonzo was really horrible at coming when I called him, so I used the lead and treats and now he comes whenever I call him. Whenever we go anywhere, I use a short leash because I expect them to heal, stay right by my leg.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts.

Godric is fine, i've been using a regular old leash type, probably 4ft long, just to suffice till I get something I like. The problem with it is that when Godric was a baby, I didn't train him on a lead like that, so he's not used to any slack and he's kind of like, "what the heck is touching me" the entire walk. I try to hold it tighter but, walking two at the same time and focusing on that doesn't always work out haha.

My OH gives me grief because he thinks i'm doing him sort of an injustice by not letting him run ahead with his sister on her flexi. I told him it'd be a far worse injustice if I drop the lead and he takes off in front of a car!

I'm not sure what it is about his lead, I just can't keep ahold of it, I have small hands to begin with so sticking leads in both doesn't usually fare well.

My ankle is about the same, tolerated but sore. I work on my feet so I've been taking Ibuprofen to keep the swelling down and that seems to be doing okay. Just bruised is all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts