Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not exactly sure how to handle this.....but, Taco, who is 10 months old, neutered at 8 months), has recently started getting aggressive and growling, trying to maybre snap when I try to take something away from him (like all those things he thinks he needs to chew on or eat that he shouldn't (he did it when I tried to take a leaf away from him outside). This is a REAL growl, not a play growl. I really don't like this aggressive behavior. So far, the only thing that I have done is, take the item away, tell him "No, No, you're a BAD DOG and ignore him w/ no eye contact for a while. Is this the best way to handle this or should I do something else. HELP.....I don't like this behavior.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You need to reassert your alpha-ness in the household. If he is growling at you when you do something he doesn't like, he is not respecting your position as leader of the pack. The next he growls (assuming you are not in danger of being bitten), put him in a submissive position on his back, hold his muzzle closed, and firmly tell him NO! The next time you approach him and do something normally growls at, and he doesn't growl, reward him with kind words. Hopefully this works out, curing agressive behavior is difficult, so try other things, and take other suggestions from people on this board!

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
ohhooh that doesn't sound too good. maybe he thinks he's the alpha in the house ...if that's the case you have to let him know you are the boss !!
take his food and toys away ....and see that you give it to him .....so he knows it is not his but yours !!
small things like never give him food before you , don't follow him or go through a door after him ....all small things that make him think he's the boss.....
i hope it's nothing to worry about....maybe you can ask advice from tattdangel ......her chi snapped and growled too ......

kisses nat

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Holding them upside down like you were holding a baby really does work, if you make them stay in that position and if necessary hold their mouth. Make him stay in this position until he is quiet and not fighting you. Do this often. Exposing their belly is a sign of submission in a dog. You can lose ground rapidly if you don't make it plain you are the alpha in his "pack". If you share food with him always eat some first and make him wait. When he's misbehaving tell him no, don't shout but don't say it in a friendly voice either, sound angry.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.....but his favorite game to play is tug of war w/ one of his toys. I think that I have read somewhere that this promotes aggressive behavior. So far he hasn't done this with a toy (just play growls). He has only done it 3 times, these were all items that I tried to take away that he shouldn't eat or chew on, and the growl was definately REAL. He has behaved this way with our big guy (golden retreiver) over treats, but I thought that was OK because the golden retreiver is lower in the pack. I have taken his food away from him and given it back with no reaction.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
when you play tug of war, if you let the dog win most of the time, the dog will feel superior to you because of the game. in the wild, these tug of war type games are dominance asserting behavior. while we like to spoil our kids, we can be better parents if we have control over the situations. since your dog is putting things in its mouth that it shouldn't, aggressive behavior in this scenario is dangerous...what if the dog grabbed a piece of dark chocolate, or a lily, if we can't get it back, and get bitten in the process! This is the kind of scenario I'd be afraid of.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
When gadget was pooing on the floor and not his potty pad I wold see him and go to pick him up to put him on the potty pad he would growl at me.. I would put my finger on his nose and tell him "NO GROWL" then I would pick him up and put him on his potty pad.. He has never showed any other argession... AFter a few times of doing this he stopped growling and stopped pooing on the floor...

The flipping him on his back worked for chewing on us.... he stopped that after a while.. He still goes for the fingers in play but i think it is more my fingers get in his way when we are playing with toys because he will put his mounth on my finger and stop and look at me and take his mounth away and grab the toy...

Good luck and God bless

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much everyone for your suggestions. I'm working on some of them. I've tried giving him things and then taking them away. Took his food away this morning, then put a little piece of cheese in it before I gave it back to him. So far, so good. Also, making him walk out the door after me. But, when I try to expose his belly. He won't let me. Fights and fights untill he flips back over. He never did like that. Will it still work if I just try the other things? :wave:

·
Registered
39 Posts
If your chi is being aggressive, he is most certainly going to fight when you try to put him on his back! Letting him go is only showing him that he just won and that he's more dominant than you. Hold him still until he settles down and then slowly let him go. If he starts to squirm again as you're starting to let go, hold him until he is still. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
MYCHIBABY said:
But, when I try to expose his belly. He won't let me. Fights and fights untill he flips back over. He never did like that. Will it still work if I just try the other things? :wave:
There is alot of controversy about that :? I dont force mine to do that and they know I am alpha. Kemo gives me his belly and crouches submissevly when I go to get him or I first come in the door but I cannot roll him on it, nor Bindi who is such an easy dog to have......dont sweat that if it doesnt happen - YES there are other ways and you can achieve what you want without that. I am not saying for others that this works for its wrong, its just another story when you have a dog that doesnt like it and forcing them it has been said creates more problems. :? its on an old thread in here somwhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts