Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just get an email announcement from petsmart, blah blah something to the effect of: the dogfood you use is having a nationwide "out of stock" due to manufacturing constraints something along that line, here's a $5 coupon in case you find what you want, in the mean time here are some suggestions of alternative crap dogfoods.

I know it's not the BEST, but I just got them settled back on "Eukanuba Natural Rice and Lamb" we had a slight hiatus when I opted to try the fancier kind, and it ended up making my pups ill, Gretel was allergic to one poor girl, and now i'm going to have to worry about going through it again!

I know raw is the way to go, but i'm not educated enough to make a decisive meal schedule for them right now, though it's not solely my decision and my bf isn't hep on the idea. That being said, I looked for ziwipeak and I guess my store doesn't carry it? Frustrating!

End of rant :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
I know what you mean. Every time I find something at Petsmart that looks decent or at the VERY LEAST, is not made in freakin' China, they stop carrying it. Has happened with 4 kinds of treats/chews and 2 kinds of kibble. I get so upset and make a huge deal out of never shopping there again. Then I find myself needing something that I don't want to pay shipping for and can't find in other stores and end up in "that store" again... ugh... find something "New! Made in USA!" and it starts all over again... lol.
It's so frustrating, I'm sorry you're upset, but actually really happy to know I'm not the only one who feels that way about them! :) Have you been able to pinpoint yet exactly what is bothering Gretel? I noticed you are feeding lamb, does she have problems with chicken?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I know what you mean. Every time I find something at Petsmart that looks decent or at the VERY LEAST, is not made in freakin' China, they stop carrying it. Has happened with 4 kinds of treats/chews and 2 kinds of kibble. I get so upset and make a huge deal out of never shopping there again. Then I find myself needing something that I don't want to pay shipping for and can't find in other stores and end up in "that store" again... ugh... find something "New! Made in USA!" and it starts all over again... lol.
It's so frustrating, I'm sorry you're upset, but actually really happy to know I'm not the only one who feels that way about them! :) Have you been able to pinpoint yet exactly what is bothering Gretel? I noticed you are feeding lamb, does she have problems with chicken?
You know i'm not sure, she's just finicky I think. I got one kind of kibble something or another and she would not go near it, hated it but would stomach it once a day or so, I felt so bad but I couldn't just keep flip flopping her on different kibbles but the real problem was that her hair was falling out and becoming VERY coarse which I of course connected the dots that she wasn't getting nourished like she should so I went back to rice and lamb, which I consider a "middle of the road" brand when I got Godric and her coat improved significantly but now her eyes are weeping like MAD and I haven't connected it to the kibble, but it seems like maybe she just has some crazy seasonal allergies?

My little girl is falling apart, my bf jokes that she's the "red-headed-step-child" which isn't true of course I love my princess, but she's making her mum bonkers!

**edit, let me step back. I know she doesn't have a problem with chicken because, yes I know this is bad, but we have chicken just about every night and my bf believe that it's okay for Gretel to share a very small bite of his meat and green beans. I hate that he insists on sharing with her, but she isn't overweight, and as long as it's plain I don't argue too much.

and also, I see this brand, Avoderm, I may consider checking into it.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I had a bad experience with Petsmart many years ago. I saw this dogfood on sale & read the ingredients & it looked like a really good dogfood. I wasn't knowledgable back then of what is good ingredients & whats not & can't remember the name of the food, but my Chi had a very bad reaction to it.
This dogfood stuff is such a pain & the more I read, the more I find this is a very wide problem. I don't understand why it's so hard for us to find a reliable dogfood our chis can be safe with. Maybe we should start a campaign or something.
So far THK seems to be a pretty good food but everyday I wonder if they're going to start cutting corners like every one else.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I hate the big chain petstores and am lucky enough to have a really great small petstore a few towns away. They carry most of the good brands(even carry THK) and they have said that anything they do not have, they could try to order. Hope you are able to find some online.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a bad experience with Petsmart many years ago. I saw this dogfood on sale & read the ingredients & it looked like a really good dogfood. I wasn't knowledgable back then of what is good ingredients & whats not & can't remember the name of the food, but my Chi had a very bad reaction to it.
This dogfood stuff is such a pain & the more I read, the more I find this is a very wide problem. I don't understand why it's so hard for us to find a reliable dogfood our chis can be safe with. Maybe we should start a campaign or something.
So far THK seems to be a pretty good food but everyday I wonder if they're going to start cutting corners like every one else.
Yes, I agree. I'm not a fan of petsmart or petco here to be completely honest. I get better customer service at petsmart but the selection is pathetic, and the prices are sky-high at petco so it's a lose-lose for me.

I usually do my research before going to the store because i'm a wanderer and I tend to come out spending more than intended so i've been sticking to my budget but this switching dogfood business is bologna!

From what I can tell it might be a nationwide shortage and petsmart is just compensating me because I shop there more than petco, who knows maybe i'll get a coupon there too.

I'm interested in trying THK, but again i'm not sole decision maker and the hydrating process etc doesn't exactly set my bf seeing stars, it's hard enough to get him to dump kibble in the bowl.

I THINK, unless I get some negative feedback I might give Avoderm a try, the ratings were all good on both pet sites, and they said my favorite 3 words "no-loose-poop" which i'd be willing to give a try as even the rice and lamb Euka sometimes gives Godric some.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I also would like to try THK, but my husband says he doesn't want to mess changing it up until we can feed raw, which isn't right now. Besides, even though I know they will love raw, they really really like the kibble they eat now, that I'm buying at Petsmart... :-?
Right now we are using Organix, and have been for about 5 months. It was about 1 1/2 years ago I bought some of the Avoderm wet food to mix with their kibble when I just had Lo and Finn. They didn't seem to have a problem with eating it, although the smell and look of it made me a little grossed out, and I almost didn't give it to them. ;) They did have looser stools, but that very well could have been just the something new in their diet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts