Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Khorra and Dakota are driving me crazy with the need to have to constantly search for things to find on the floor to chew on! They are loose in the house a lot more now since they are getting pretty reliable using the pee pads and that seems to be all they want to do. I'm so tired of hearing that noise that means they are chewing on something. I'm talking little tiny things that you can't see without opening up their mouths and inspecting. It doesn't matter how often I vacuum, they still find something. I have a cockatiel and even little millet seed husks will fall on the floor and Khorra is licking those up. Man, you'd think I'm starving these guys or something, lol! Does this behavior ever stop? I don't take them outside as much to play anymore because all they want to do out there is chew on the grass, weeks, rocks and whatever else they find.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Good News! It does stop! At least for me, Angel stopped. He still does it, not as much! Whew! It's easier to control now. So, yeah they will outgrow it!

These little guys take more patience than I have, that's for sure!! But worth it!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Penny just turned one and still does it. Tiny tiny piece of paper lands on the floor, she picks it up and chews it. Smh, she even plays with wood chips, runs with it and throws it in the air and chews on it. I hope they do grow out of it.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
thank your llucky stars it is something they find. My little terror, Bonnie, looks everywhere (except her huge pile of toys) for stuff to run away with. IF she can't find anything, she roots into our rug, and pulls a thread of it out! Wonders abound, we still don't see where she does it, I just find 'em in her mouth when I can catch her. Hope she stops this too! She is 7 months.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Toby just turned one and only recently stopped the mouthy stage. I would vacuum 3+ times a week and go through the carpet after with my hands. He's much better now, although if by some chance a bug gets in, it is dead meet. My little sociopath likes to torture them!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like I may still have a bit of a wait still since mine are only 5 months old. I vacuum quite often, but with three kids in the house it doesn't matter. They are always dropping stuff. And the 17 year old is the worst! He's always leaving stuff out. Fortunately the pups don't try to chew up his socks that he always leaves out or the cords for his headphones and Xbox that he leaves on the floor. I'm also lucky that they don't tear pieces out of the carpet! That would drive me nuts!

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Sounds like they are pretty good! Web Toby was five months he would have destroyed all of that stuff. I had to tape my chargers to the wall. Count your blessings lol. And make the 17 year old chase the pups down and get whatever the have- that will teach him!

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Keonna is going into her 5th month in just 4 days, she loves to chew anything in her sight and on the floor. I mean even my toe!

I kept a close eye on her, as soon as she start sniffing around, searching for stuff. I'll quickly cut-in, distract her notion by a short play, call her to come or something. If she does bite on something, intervene it as soon as possible, mine is making my no sign - vocal loud "Eh!". That should make her drop whatever on her mouth and proceed with distraction. Just make sure the intervention is quick enough before she gets "high" on biting, then it's too late but to stop her by force.

By doing that consistently and offering her appropriate chew toys, that habit went minimal in 2 weeks. When she's left unattended, like I'm out for work, she's locked in her playroom with nothing but some water, toys, bed and her "toilet". There's nothing else for chew in this porcelain tiled room.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Oh....I hear you!! Bailey is what I would refer to as a "pot-licker"!! If there is anything left where he can reach it,.......it's gone!! It can be so stressful as he has eaten things that he really shouldn't, and I spend the next 12 hours looking for signs of having to take him to the vet for ingesting non dog stuff!! I really wonder where he gets most of it.....he would make a great sniffer dog as he can literally find a needle in a haystack!! Carlos, on the other hand......never went through this stage at all. Chalk and cheese! Bailey is 8 months old, and I hope he quits it soon........;-)

Sent from my iPad using PG Free

·
Registered
240 Posts
OMG!! So it's not just my two then!! They're driving me insane too!!! Whyyy do they do it? What makes it especially annoying is that I buy them chews and stuff and they just loose interest in them and go scavenging instead! And don't get me started on the wallpaper! ;S

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ozzy is the same. Anything he can find or stand on to find he will take away and hide or eat! Im always pulling little objects out of his closed mouth. He especially likes socks, we found about 20 under our bed the other day :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Ike is 11 weeks old today and this seems to be part of his everyday life. I also have 3 Parrotlets he tries to scoop up the seeds on the floor. I have a small fox terrier, who we believe has Chihuahua in her and she has the same habits and she is 16 years old. I didn't have so much of this with our Pug, who is 5 years old.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What makes it especially annoying is that I buy them chews and stuff and they just loose interest in them and go scavenging instead! ;S
Same thing here! I buy them lots of chews, but they don't bother with those most of the time. Even the bullysticks! Nope, I guess that tiny piece of paper that dropped on the floor from when my son tore a sheet out of his spiral notebook is way better that any expensive chew toy or treat I buy them, lol!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts