Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, It's too late now, but I figure I'd just ask anyways.

I've been wanting a chihuahua for two and a half years, reading and purchasing every chihuahua book I could find. I am so dedicated. Recently my mother decided we could look around. We called a BUNCH of different breeders in our area(not from the paper, from an akc breeders list) and alot of them didn't have what i was looking for or didn't have any at all, bummer. We then got ahold of a woman who had just sold her last pup, she told us that she had been raising chis for quite some time thanks to her mom. She gave us her mothers number and we called there, what do you know she had four pups. We went that night to look, I immideatly started to ask questions and after the second question she just started TELLING me everything that i was about to ask, I had only asked how big they where, and how long she had been breeding chis' 35 YEARS! after that, she just went on and on telling me that her dogs where akc registered, that she only bred once a year because she loves her dogs as pets, not to make money(HUGE PLUS WHEN SHE SAID THAT)(she doesn't need money (from dogs)because she's an interior decorator and does HUGE houses for celebs) she knew all about the history of chis, She had many pictures of the dad and the mom was on sight. She sounded VERY responsible and LOVES her dogs, she holds them and kisses them and loves them. real quick, she was telling us that her 2 year old chi lucy likes to follow her around while shes getting ready for bed and she has to pretend to put lotion and powder on her or LUCY JUST WON'T GO TO BED! how cute. She went on to show us a couple who had previously bought a dog from her, and showd us the pictures they sent back. so finally, I picked out the puppy that made the best connection with me when i held it, she cuddeled right up to me when i picked her up and started sucking on my finger after awhile, (i had clean hands) . I never wanted to put her down.

Here are my questions. / comments.
I asked her when I would be able to take the puppy home and I was really excited, She said at seven weeks MAYBE. I was reading that, that is WAY too early to bring a puppy home, but I'll be going once a week every week to go be with the pup for a while. is this a bad thing? should I wait 8 weeks?

also, there is no vet check, my mom was a bit upset by this and i've read to steer clear of things like that, but she has a health garentee.

It's too late now because i've picked the puppy that I want and I've put a down payment on her. I just don't want to think I picked a bad breeder, because of those two things.

thanks!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'll be first to admit that breeders (especially one's that have been breeding for 35 years) often know more about the breed and breed health/characteristics than some veterinarians, but you should be careful and make sure that they make you offers based on whats the best for the dog.

My thoughts:
7 weeks is younger than I'd recommend to bring it home. Tell the breeder that you'd prefer it to be in her care until at least 8 weeks, or 10 if she thinks it's necessary. Tell her you want to do what is best for the dog. Breeders will sometimes offer the pup earlier if they think it will help to seal the deal, or because the older they are, the more difficult they are to sell. Offer her a deposit and tell her you only want the dog when she thinks it should go home.

Don't be alarmed if the breeder isn't offering an initial vet check, you should do this on your own anyways. No vaccines should be given prior to 8 weeks, as the body cannot produce antibodies effectively prior to this time, and most veterinarians will start the vaccine series over if breeders gave them prior to 8 weeks. Also, there are many brands/combinations of vaccines, and you should stick with what your vet recommends, not the breeder, or the breeder's "vet".

It does sound like your breeder is great, but might be playing a little to your excitement.

Good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you so much

she is an older woman, not to old but older. I am going to tell her that I want the puppy in her care for 8 weeks-9 weeks, my mom and i both think that 7 is much to early.

so thank you very much :]]

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
From what you have said, I think she sounds fine. She obviously is aware that you are excited and probably thought that you wanted the puppy as soon as possible.If she will keep the pup until at least 8 weeks, then i wouldnt be too worried...how wonderful for you! :)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Don't worry, as long as she has a health guarantee in place you should be fine. I would strongly suggest to take her to the vet the day of or the day after you get her! :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure she has a health gaurentee. thank you

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Congradulations!

I agree with everyone else!
But do ask about the guarantee next time you talk to her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts