Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rico got ahold of the sleepover party food that the girls lied to me about taking out to the bins :foxes15:. I knew there had been chocolate invovled up in the bedroom, got un-nerved by it and decided to induce vomitting.

OMG--how much can one dog eat...??? I had given him hydrogen peroxide and put him into the bathtub . He brought up pretzles with chocolate, pizza--lots of pizza and pulled pork and some pasta !! I am glad that I followed my hunch about him...he is such "hunter" of food..that if the girls left food out in the bedroom he'd have at it. I am just floored by the amount of stuff in his belly !!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Thank goodness you caught it in time and got it out of his system!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Good thing that Rico has a smart mom who knew what to do! You saved him a big tummyache! Hope he's feeling better now.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks ladies, they thing is he is such a tinker he'll eat anything really. He was not bothered at all. Okay possibly a bit miffed that I make him puke up all that lovely treat he had. Really none woprse for it. Some gave him a cooked chicken leg over the summer at a baseball game--I figured vomitting cooked bones was better than geting them stuck in your belly and bleeding out. :rolleyes:

I was really mad at the child--she is 13 and knows better. I was very specific about --"please-- just bring all food and trash down fromt he bedroom" :foxes15:.

People laugh at home much this one likes food.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
I am so glad you acted so quickly & he's all right!

Could you please explain how you gave him the hydrogen peroxide? Like how much and the process in case I ever have to do something like this?

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Oh my, I am glad you were able to take care of it in a timely matter.....

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am so glad you acted so quickly & he's all right!

Could you please explain how you gave him the hydrogen peroxide? Like how much and the process in case I ever have to do something like this?
I guess if you have a dog like this one here...:rolleyes:...anything could happen . It is best to be ready. Poor Rico he really does go to extrmes to try to get somethig good for himself only to have me come after him...

You use the ordinary hydrogen peroxide for first aid. I usually use a 10cc/ml sryinge--the kind for oral medicine. You can start with a 5cc--right in to the mouth and down fast---for a big amount of trash such as happened here I did it twice. they are justing puking it back up so you can give more nad they won't be absorbing it really. Once I saw chocolate coming up I knew there was "good cause" to empty that belly. After a few miniutes, they vommit up the white foamy peroxide, after another minute they bring up the contents of the stomach.

This works well for bad foods--chocolates, small items like a bead or button or cooked bone . I would check with a vet before using this method for caustic substances, like harsh chemicals.

The first time I did this I was nervous--he is only a wee dog and it seemed cruel. It actually doesn't bother him at all. I now recommend using the bath tub that way they are contained and you can see what is what and clean up is easy.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
So glad he is okay, but I'm wondering about the peroxide...My bottle has a 'skull and crossbones' label on it, which indicates it's poisonous???

Was this something the vet told you to do?

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So glad he is okay, but I'm wondering about the peroxide...My bottle has a 'skull and crossbones' label on it, which indicates it's poisonous???

Was this something the vet told you to do?
Yes ,it was a vet . A friend who worked at the Angell Memerial Hospital, they deal with lots of trauma there. You use 3% volume hydrogen peroxide.

I wouldn't advocate making them vommit on a regular basis...but in a pinch it can make all the difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts