Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got back from the emergency vets...Oakley was jumping one of the babygates as she tends to do...and crashed down on her knee, I pretty much knew what happened. She was holding it up and crying and it just looked like what I figured it would look like...

Her patellas were just checked in June and the vet said they were very solid, ... so she basically did what any dog can do, but a chi is probably more likely to do :-/

I'm stressed and sad, they x-rayed and the patella is out and has not gone back in, they tried to maneuver it back but it wouldn't go. She is on cage rest for 7-10 days, poor baby. I am to ice the knee 3 times a day tonight, tomorrow and Tuesday, and I have 2 medications, one to help with pain and one with inflammation so hopefully the knee will work its way back into place. We will do follow up with them in 8-10 days :-/ The vet said because its pretty clearly resultant of injury she doesn't think surgery will be what has to happen but she also says that when we re-xray we will have a much better idea of what's going on.

They also said she needs to lose about 1/2 a lb asap, she's very round and pudgy...so there's another fun thing to do :(

The poor little pumpkin was such a trooper. It was not a fun night :(

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
Oh no poor Oakley, I hope she gets better soon. So sorry this happen.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh Oakley you're a chi not a bunny!!! I hope she's ok that's really quite upsetting are you okay??? Do they think now it's out once it's more likely to happen again? (like my shoulder is always gonna be weak now)!! Has she put on more weight??? Poor think honestly I'd just cut her thk back the raw u give her is adequate for a 3.5lb pup she should lose it quickly!! Give her kisses from me even tho it's 4.40am and I'm up coz I've been sick :(

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Oh NO! :( Not sweet oakley!! I hate hearing this. I know leila isn't enjoying being locked up and away either(everytime i let her free she jumps on couches). it's no fun to be away from the family and excitement. I hope her knee heals up quickly. I can't believe she needs to lose 1/2 lb?? What does she currently weigh? She's so tiny!!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
O no! Im so sorry, that sucks for you and for her. Hopefully TLC from mama and cage rest (how miserable does that sound?!) will get it back in place for her. Does the weight loss mean she needs green bean gruel on top of cage rest?? Insult to injury :(

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will just cut her food back, the vet said ideally she thinks around 3.25 lbs is good for her, she said her build just doesn't have any room for extra weight. She was 3.8 and for her frame that is too much, she is just a very thin framed dog, more like an italian greyhound than a chi.

I asked if this meant this was going to keep happening now and the vet said she just didn't know, it was very clearly an injury and that hopefully, it will heal. She said we have to be more careful with her jumping so we are going to get rid of the baby gates and put stairs to the couch, really it needed to be done anyway, I will admit I feel alittle guilty for not doing this all sooner. I also feel bad for letting her get pudgy. I asked here but we all seemed to agree maybe she was just filling out but the vet said ideally, now that this has happened, keeping her at 3.2-3.3 will be the easiest on her knees, that seems awful think to me but I guess she was that weight just a few short months ago. She said "underweight" would be 3.1 or less so she gave me a reasonable window. No more than 3.5 and no less than 3.2.

I'm definitely upset about it lol, I cried @ the office when I saw the xray, cuz I mean I knew but I was hoping maybe not, maybe it was a fracture or a sprain or ANYTHING but the patella but the way it looked it almost looked like she actually hit the knee. All we heard was the yelping we aren't exactly sure what happened but know it was her trying to get over the gate :-/

This isn't ANYWHERE in her lines, pretty much the whole 5 gen pedigree had tests and was cleared, her other knee is 100% fine...but sigh. The vet really didn't sound like surgery was on her mind, but I think she also could tell how upset I was, my poor sweetie pie.

:-/

·
Administrator
6,452 Posts
I wonder why they couldnt get it back in place. Seems the sooner it goes back in the better.. (((((HUGS)))))

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
im so sorry oakley!!! :( i hope it can be fixed. ur momma will be helping you along the way so dont cry baby girl <3

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Oh gosh a few ounces does make a huge difference on their joints tho!! I feel for you it's horrible the fear of them having surgery is too much!!

Stairs on the sofa I thought about this but I think once a jumper always a jumper!! I agree with Kay tho I wonder why it's not gone in

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Poor Oakley!!! This is a fear of mine too as Brody runs and leaps off everything! He takes flying leaps off the back of the couch sometimes and is such a daredevil. I worry about this happening. I'm going to try and get him to be more careful after hearing this about little Oakley!

I hope they can get her patella put back so that she can heal. What a worry.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Bless her heart. I know you are worried sick. I hope that everything heals up on it's own. It just seems crazy to me about her weight, though. She always looks thin to me. She is quite tall, and quite long, but never in the slightest looks pudgy. Her body shape and size looks identical to Brody's. I guess all we can do is go by our Vets recommendation, though. Hope to hear that she's completely well very soon. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Oh NO!! Poor little Oakley. :( I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this...and her. Poor poor thing. I hope to goodness her leg goes back to normal VERY soon & that she's not in any more discomfort. It must be so uncomfy for her! Good luck Kristi...I'll be thinking of you guys!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It made sense what she said, her sides are rather "fully covered" atm, part of it is how she gains weight. Her rib cage from the top is very narrow, so it shouldn't be as wide there as it is, I guess she is just a thin little critter...barrel chested but from the top, very narrow :-/ It surprised me too tbh, but the last time we weighed her at a vet she was 3.3 and the said that was a good weight for her.

On top of it all we are pretty sure hubby has allergies to the cat, he's been sneezing pretty much since yest. afternoon so we are gonna have to figure out what to do about that, I am bummed but tbh right now not sure I need another animal to look after so maybe its best it go to another home :( Neither of us had had an indoor cat before, so we didn't know if we were allergic to them or not :( go figure.

The vet said in small breeds, patella related injuries aren't entirely uncommon, esp. if they are jumping around like she always did. I feel so bad she is on cage rest, I am home sick from work today anyway, so I can keep a close eye on her, but I am just worried sick. She periodically keeps holding it up again.

I'm going to take her back in today, and ask for someone to feel her knee and see if its moved back, and if not, asked them to PLEASE get it back in so it can heal properly, her kneecaps are about the size of a grain of rice and it was next to impossible to move last night :-/

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, the vet explained also that why it has not gone in is there was trauma to her knee (basically we think she fell directly on it, onto tile, and we're lucky she didn't shatter anything else...I guess :-/), and the swelling is probably keeping the knee from going back in, like it can't move properly because of the pressure/fluid in there, from what the xray showed. Does that make more sense? The vet basically said when this is genetic, it's a totally different problem and looks totally different, and she was certain this instance, at least, was from injury, especially b'c she was just checked only a few months ago.

Its really stressing me out though :-/ I love this little dog so much and she so very clearly is uncomfortable :-/ My poor sweetiepie :(

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Oh my gosh. Hoping Oakley heals quickly. I'm so sorry. Get a puppypurse.com They are seriously a lifesaver when dogs can't be on their feet yet you want them with you. I had one when Maya had her leg surgery and was supposed to be not walking on it but didn't want to leave her in her crate. This allowed me to carry her without having to use my hands. She loved it.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Give her sweet little kisses from us, Kristi. It's so hard to see our babies feeling bad. :( Keep us posted, please. We will be thinking about sweet Oakley, and praying for her too.

You know, so many people are allergic to cats. There was no way for you to know before you got her. Don't beat yourself up over that.

(((((Hugs))))) I hope you feel better soon as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts