Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to share a heartwarming moment for me!! Last night as I was going to bed, I was having some "non-specific" anxiety issues (basically like a really mild panic attack, but one that you don't really know the cause of.... just an edgy, nervous feeling.). Usually when this happens my mind starts racing and I have trouble falling asleep and I figured this would be one of those nights! Well, all of the sudden Kahlua crawls over me and tucks her beloved Snuggle bear under my chin, before nudging the blanket up and burrowing under the comforter to snuggle beside my stomach. She actually "GAVE" me her Snuggle bear; her most prized possession that she carries around proudly and shows everyone and it makes her so happy. I really think she could sense something was a little off about me, and was trying to give me something to make me happy as it does for her. I thought it was so sweet... needless to say with her snuggled in "her spot" and a tiny raggedy Snuggle Bear beside my face I fell asleep quite peacefully. =)
Has your dog ever done something that is just not typical "dog" behavior that seemed a way of "reaching out" to you??

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
i had a really bad belly the other night i sat on sofa moaning to my husband. When ninja jumped up on the sofa and licked the spot where it hert. problem was i was wearing a top so i had a huge wet patch. so she just layed on the spot in the end and her body heat eased it. bless her

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I've been under alot of stress lately - my baby grandson has had salmonella poisoning, and my 23 year old son (diagnosed with MS at age 13) has been having alot of health issues. Both Gracie and Diesel have been super attentive to me, very clingy and constantly on top of me, which is not their normal behaviour.

So, yes, I believe they know when something is going on with us, and do the best they can to 'fix' it. It's unconditional love...

·
Registered
376 Posts
I can't think of any specific examples but I just have to say that what Kahlua did was so sweet.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I worked for Waffle House, and a lady came in with her little chi. Because its a restaurant, I told her I'm sorry but you can't bring pets in, and that's when she pulled a piece of paper and showed me her chi was a service animal to help her with her anxiety. Its pretty cool how animals can help us with stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't bring it up much as it's quite controversial but I have Kahlua registered as a service dog for anxiety too. The thing is; because of a huge loophole anyone can get away with doing it... so some people will take advantage of it. The fact is there is actually NO certification required for a dog to BE a service animal. Service dogs aren't actually even required to wear badges or have paper proof; but there are places online where you can, for FREE, register your dog as a service animal with a database. In fact they state on there that "We do not certify or authorize anyone to use a Service Animal — nor is certification required by law." But it's a lot easier to HAVE a badge or ID card or something to SHOW businesses, stores or people who ask; than to explain everything.
I will give the link to anyone in PM but don't want to post it here. As I said it leaves it open for a lot of people to take advantage of it. There are some places online where you can pay to have an evaluation done and a licensed doctor "prescribe" you a service animal... but those are scams trying to take advantage (and money) of people who don't know better that none of that is legally required. I would hate to see someone use the loophole to register their dog and possible put others in danger if they are rowdy and just want to draw attention bringing their pets wherever they go.... there really SHOULD be some requirements of a service dog with training. For my Kahlua who is registered, and I DO have quite debilitating anxiety which is why I don't (i.e. CAN'T) keep a "real" 9-5 job; it lets me bring her, IN A PURSE, where she is unable to bite anyone or pose any danger. She makes me feel better, simple as that. It's just for the United States. Again it's free to register your pet, they ask you questions about your disability and the dog as well as your name; and they assign you a number. You have the option to buy things like a certificate, ID card, etc. but none is necessary. You can just go to Ebay and buy a cheap $2 pet tag and have them engrave the number on it; that's what I did. And I did order just one $5 Service Dog badge to put on her one (enclosed) purse that I use as now nobody even asks questions if they see it.
I want to make a disclaimer that I am NOT suggesting anyone use this loophole to carry your dog around in a purse because you think its cute. If I'm bringing Kahlua she is in her enclosed purse/carrier and is there soley for *ME*; not for OTHERS to see. This has actually helped me SO many times through various situations that I would've otherwise never been able to go through with. That's the difference between anxiety, and DEBILITATING anxiety; when it actually directly affects your live and the decisions you make. People should just know that these rules are out there and they are wonderful for people with anxiety issues; just like the woman Carrie mentioned. I have absolutely no doubt that if there WAS an existing requirement or certification needed that my dog and I dog would qualify; and would be happy to share the link if you feel the same. I just really don't want to see people take advantage of it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yes, I have serious anxiety issues too, and am on medication for it.... I can't believe how I suffered before the medication... and this winter, my doctor had to up my dosage and honestly, i feel so much better. What I worry terribly about are all my babies at home while I'm at work. Tyson and Booboo ease my anxiety so much. I love them under the covers with me and little Tyty eventhough I've only had him barely a month sleeps with his head resting on my neck, and he rolls around just like a little baby, I love it when his belly's full.....All my animals help with my anxiety issues. Animals live in the moment and it helps me to slow down and just be...... My bf's spaniel knows when he's hurt and always licks the hurt spot. Our best friends are very sensitive beings... Kahlua is a doll to give you her best toy....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts