Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home tonight to a dreadful report... hubby caught finn getting ready to eat his :nshocked1: (poo)
I haven't ever had this issue and i'm not happy:foxes15: !!
What do i do? :confused: Hubby said he told him NO and moved him away quickly and cleaned it up. I don't know if that will be enough though. I will be keeping a close eye though...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
In my opinion right now you have two ways to handle this:first start using pineapple juice in both k9's food, this will make it less appetizing to him before the habit starts also your reaction can break him of it. When Linc was a pup he did it, I caught him and went into hysterics -to stupid levels might I add- and after that he never touched it again. I also watch him the second he smells too long it I correct and if he sniffs and walks away I immediately praise. That's what he did :) I'm sure others will have better advice

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's super gross, but they seem to love it. I have a poo eater, she is a poo roller too lol. It's hard to stop them because to me it appears a compulsion... very strange... and yucky.

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I have always had good success with pineapple as well. Did you get to personally see the breeder's home and set up? If the poo wasnt cleaned up promptly at the breeders, this could cause this. Also sometimes a deficiency can cause it. Lastly I know it can be dog food related. I would make sure it is picked up as quick as possible and maybe use the pineapple or meat tenderizer. Maybe it will help him learn early that it tastes gross so not to try it again?

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
I just wanted to mention that I saw in an earlier thread that a vet had suggested meat tenderizer in the food to help with this. Not sure if it is okay for a pup but maybe you can check on it.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
He might have just been bored. I have to clean poo up immediately or Bryco will still eat it. It seems like some dogs are just more prone to it,...its disgusting though! Fortunately mine have been almost 100% outside since we moved but ugh, before...yicky! And a poop disappeared today...soooo...just do the pineapple juice and nip it in the bud. By the tiny little cans of it near the mixed drink section as it's super concentrated and let it soak into both their food (incase he wants to eat Leila's poo)...but it probably was just that he was bored and thought it might be fun to play with.

·
Premium Member
5,271 Posts
Pineapple juice seems to upset Chico's stomach so I bought some pills at PetSmart for Coprophagia Deterrence. I think it was 21st Century brand.... I used them for about 2 months and stopped. They(chico and Buster) do not eat Poo anymore now...

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well He has pooped several more times and did not try to eat it once. I have NEVER saw him do this and i'm with him all the time, but left for a couple hours and hubby had gotten home before me. There was even some terds on his potty pad this morning when i got up and he had ample opportunity to eat those but didn't. Maybe he was going to play with it OR hubby scared him. Just glad he hasn't tried since.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Maybe it won't become an issue then since he hasn't touched them recently. That's a good sign so here's hoping. :) My Pom used to do this and really the only thing that worked was just picking it up immediately after she went.

I just wanted to mention that I saw in an earlier thread that a vet had suggested meat tenderizer in the food to help with this. Not sure if it is okay for a pup but maybe you can check on it.
I would worry about the sodium content.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Caught him today trying to eat one :( I promptly moved him and scolded him. I was on the phone with the vets and had to put them on hold QUICK. lol
I put him back down and spied on him to see if he would try it again. After a few minutes and me hiding he went to sniff it so i gave him a scolding and sprayed him with a water bottle. ;) Then i picked them up. I have to break him of this and sometimes he will be alone for several hours so i can't always pick them up immed. if i'm not here.
WHat kind of pineapple juice, just the canned ready to drink??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts