Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well a week ago we have been finding holes in our carpet....we thought it might have been the cat from the other day we locked him in the bathroom and we thought maybe he tried to escape and dig out or something...well we r not happy about this but then i heard some weird noise...and got up to check on it and Mia was PULLING up the carpet and made a new hole...well Clint (my hubby)says she must stop or when we move she won't be coming with us and i got to get her a new home....He is pissed! and I will be honest I am very upset about this too... i don't know how to fix it....and y would she do such a stupid thing like this....what can i do????

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
How old is the pup? It sounds like a puppy thing. Can you put the dog somewhere that is not carpeted while u are out and can't watch??
I keep Kemo in the kitchen while we are out long periods. You can also try making the carpet taste bad or squirt the dog w/water when u catch her in the act (not after she wont get the association) Dogs need to know their boundries that will take time and patience..... :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
Carpet...

Dobbie has a carpet fetish, that's the only thing I can call it. About two weeks ago, he went at it three times:
#1) "picked up" the carpet where it was laid over the TV cable. That was easy to put back down.
#2) He goes to where the carpet and tile come together (where it rolls under) and begins to pull it loose. I had to poke it back under the strip and hammer it down.
#3) Almost same as #2 but where bathroom tile and carpet come together. This time, I made a BIG deal about the hammering and telling him he was bad.
We've been OK for about a week now. Gosh, I hope its over! But I am watching him closely. I had gotten lax because my daughter's dog "Wally" is here.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
It is just like any other behavior you don't want them to do.
When they do it tell them NO! and give them something they CAN chew on.
You have to be persistant. And yes they will test you from time to time to see if you have changed your mind LOL.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mia is almost 6 months old....and we usally keep her in the batthroom when we r out...it started buy the bathroom part where the carpet ends I thought it might of been the cat so I was upset at him...then yesterday when I saw Mia tearing away a small bit of carpet I was soo mad at her I told her to go to bed...so she did and she pouted....My hubby says if she can't fix the problem by the time we move i must find a new home for her....even though I was upset with her I still love her like when I get upset with my kids I still love them...and i want to work with her on this habite and hopefully break her of this....she is a real smart and sweet dog maybe since i never caught her before yesterday she thought it was ok...maybe since she has been punished once maybe she will stop I am hoping...but thanks for some of the ideas :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Kemo's mamma said:
How old is the pup? It sounds like a puppy thing. Can you put the dog somewhere that is not carpeted while u are out and can't watch??
I keep Kemo in the kitchen while we are out long periods. You can also try making the carpet taste bad or squirt the dog w/water when u catch her in the act (not after she wont get the association) Dogs need to know their boundries that will take time and patience..... :D

I do the water thing with Nemo too. some people I work with have said that is bad but I dont buy it lol I use the water borrle when he jumps on my babies it only took a few times and hes stopped. it works

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
:wink: just wondering....what if it WAS the cat...and you caught her playing with the AFTERMATH...my friend's cat use to pull the carpet right at the edge...and once he pulled a few carpet hairs out..he moved to another section....could it be possible you just caught your puppy playing with the "toy" the cat left for her??

But either way..don't get too upset..puppies need to learn too.. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
unfortunitly i saw her doing it i came in and saw her pulling it up she was caught digging it up and pulling it up with her teeth the cat was sleeping on me when i heard the digging so now the cat is probley happy the whole time i was blaming him and my hubby said i had to get rid of the cat for it...i am actually more relieved it is the dog cuz u cats r harder to train then dogs but soo far ever since she been yelled at yesterday i havn't found any more holes....

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have to say my Nemo trys to shred the carpet in my bathroom too. I will see him doing it like he trying to dig out.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
Mr. Peepers does the same type stuff. Except one time I came home and happened to glance over at my couch and you wouldn't believe it but this little dog tore a hole in my couch! Not a little hole, it was about 10-12 inches long!

I don't know why but they just do stuff like this. I thought maybe Mr. was mad at me for leaving him (he wants to go EVERYWHERE with me). I think these behaviors are correctable though. Have some patience and I think Mia will get over this. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
I trained Sporky not to take things off of the table or climb on the tables (in the livingroom) because he loves to eat cloth for some odd reason. Well, it was going great when we brought home a kitten that had been thrown from a car and I couldn't bear the thought of someone mean getting her if I left her at the pound.

Now the cat and the dog work in collusion. The cat refuses to understand "stay off of the tables" and she pulls anything on them off so now Sporky has had several meals of bandanas, doilies, napkins .... socks...... my underwear since the cat could use the bed to get onto my dresser.

And they NEVER do it when I'm in the room after the first time the kitty got scolded. Now when I scold the kitty, Sporky goes to her and licks her to make her feel better.

OY!

One day my hubby said if I didn't train Sporky not to bark so often we might have to get rid of him. I told hubby it wasn't a contest, I could get rid of a husband just as easily. :lol: But, you see, I've been married over thirty years so I can say that kind of garbage. I also know my hubby loves Sporky as much as I do. Then again, maybe my hubby also suspects I was telling the truth??? :tongue1:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well the pass couple of days i have been debating weather to get rid of Mia or not with the carpet problems and my hubby nagging at me to get rid of her....i finally came to my decision tonight after i got home from a crappy day of work and i brought home food from the restuant i work at....everyone in my family attacked me for the food then my hubby took off and played PS2 my kids ran off and watched TV my baby was yelling and throwing a fit....and then I sat down and Mia comes running up to me her tail going 50 miles per hour she jumps into my lap and she licks my face a million times....she was the only one that cared that I came home...so if my hubby wants her out then he knows where the door is he can help himself out Cuz Mia is going to stay...I think i can work threw this problem with her....

·
Registered
700 Posts
wow how funny is that debi? the same things happened to me today well kinda lol I came home for lunch and no one cared to see me except nemo. lol He was the only excited one.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
That's the thing about these little guys, they care about us. I think that way about my boys and my hubby. My kids eventually, as they grow older, will be out w/ friends more and more and my hubby works at a tattoo shop so is always gone at nights. So after the kids are in bed and Pauls out working late it's just me and Mikey. :wink:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ya Mia made me feel loved...and I was thinking I had hubby for 7 1/2 yrs and Mia i had now for almost 4 1/2 months....and well Mia comes with her problems but I think I can get a handle on them and train her to be better...and my hubby has his problems i been trying to train him for 7 1/2 yrs and well he is untrainable and he gives me more crap then Mia ever will...so if anyone is to go out the door it will be him cuz i am sick of trying to train him LOL

·
Registered
102 Posts
You got it, girlfriend!

I have diamonds ...... okay, little bitty diamonds, I'll grant ya! ..... but my dog is still my best friend! He loves me when I'm hot and sweaty and smell like the gym, he loves me when I forget I'm cooking and burn the food, he loves me when I've just scolded him.

Let's hear it for women and their dogs. Which, by the way, is a great book. Check it out of your library if they have it. (Woman's Best Friend: A Celebration of Dogs and Their Women by Barbara E. Cohen, Louise Taylor) Maybe we should start our own book, Women and Their Chis. :angel4:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts