Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am experiencing my first case of lepto at work. Hopfully all of you have read the sticky article posted my KJ above and know the dangers of giving ur dog the lepto vaccine. For those of u who are scared of ur dogs catching it this is how it works

Basically lepto is a virus that attacks the kidneys and the body pretty much 'pees' out the virus while its infected. Now people can get this virus along with dogs and I believe cats. How one gets this is by coming in contact with the infected animals urine and then getting the urine in cuts on the body or by injesting it. Its not airborn. I asked if I should worry about giving this to my dogs when I get home and they said no. I am still throwing my scrubs in the wash as soon as I get home but I hope this calms some fears...its not very easy for your dogs to get lepto.

Just thought I would share this

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
that is scarry... I would change my clothes before leaving work for the day.. because I am that parnoid.... /my vet said that they can get it from wild animal urine... Ok... if this is the fact how do I safely take gadget into the wodds with me and got be afraid he is going to contact it? we have wildanimals living all around us... We live in the country.. and when I start letting him on the ground how do I know he is not going to come in contact with this virus.. how serious is it? and what are the syptoms?

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i had to get tested for lepto cause this dog i was in contact with, yeah i got peed on while restraining for bloodwork BEFORE we knew what the dog had! i did have a few scratches on my arms, i scrubbed with chlorhexiderm and all that other good stuff after "the incident" is what i call it. but after we found out the dog had lepto i started getting sick and i had to get tested to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts